TOCCOA GOLD CAVE

AUDIOSWAMP

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help!! when I was a kid Me and My dad tracked all over NE Georgia looking for this one back in the 1970'S ,as far as I can tell no one has found it . The story goes like this back in the 1950'S a bus driver by the name Marvin Chambers picked up an old indian walking into town a few times and after they became friends the old Indian who always paid for his goods with gold in town ,told Mr Chambers he wanted to show him something and to meet him after work ,so they got together and the Indian had him put on a blindfold and the Indian drove him to a place within 10 minutes of Toccoa and they walked about 20 minutes up hill to a cave with a stack of 20 or so leather bags full of gold nuggets at the center of the cave and the Indian told him to fill his pockets full of the nuggets for all the help and friendship he had shown to him ,many of Mr Marvins friends saw the nuggets and he even quit his job driving the bus to look for the cave but he never did find it !! I have talked to many people who were alive and living in Toccoa Georgia back then and they remember this happening so I think this is a true story as best as I can tell . My question is does anyone have more info on this story and are any of you working on this treasure legend? all I have are my Dads old notes and the foot work I have done these last 2 years!!! THANKS!!

Josht

Jul 14, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Toccoa native, 35 yrs old, and I've heard this story since I was a kid and have even went looking for the cave myself. As you stated, there must be at least some truth to this legend, else it wouldn't be so prevalent. Verification of the story is about all of the use I can be to you. However, if you'd like to collaborate on
a team search I'm all in. I'm itching to search the Mountain with my Detector but I'm hesitant since it lies in the Chattahoochee National Forest and they seem to have some pretty lame rules prohibiting Metal Detectors. Also would like to comb for Camp Toccoa relics but, again, I'm a bit wary for the same reason.:BangHead:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72DTUE8TAwjQL8h2VAQAMtzFUw!!/?ss=110803&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5202050&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detailfull&pname=Chattahoochee-Oconee%20National%20Forest-%20Recreation

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AUDIOSWAMP

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Yes other than gold panning the National Forest is off limits up here !! and Yes i would like to collaborate on a search i have a few thoughts on its location and you must also because you went looking for it also . i know of a few more old timers still looking for it up around Toccoa falls that hunted this one with my dad back in the day!

Vorlagenubel

May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking?

Are you guys still looking?
I've been looking at some old topographical and street maps to narrow down the search area. I'm also researching some of the story against historical information and trying to find anything more about Marvin Chambers.
Was interested in comparing notes.

Whiteknight7

Sep 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been try to track down anything about Marvin chambers. Just to see what I could find and I can’t find nothing. If someone could point me in the right direction. Would appreciate it very much.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been try to track down anything about Marvin chambers. Just to see what I could find and I can’t find nothing. If someone could point me in the right direction. Would appreciate it very much.

WK7,

I believe I saw an Obituary Of Mr Marvin Chambers in 2019. Can't find it now but its in the internet. I did research on this years ago.

Here is a interesting map made in 1831. From the Library of Congress website. A map of that part of Georgia occupied by the Cherokee Indians, taken from an actual survey made during the present year 1831, in pursuance of an act of the general assembly of the state : this interesting tract of country contains four millions three hundred & sixty six thousand five hundred & fifty four acres, many rich gold mines & many delightful situations & though in some parts mountainous, some of the richest land belonging to the state. Very accurate and its interactive. Enlarge it and you'll be amazed of the details (Gold locations, names are gold mines, areas, etc). https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3920.ct006918/?r=-0.741,-0.031,2.481,0.862,0

Marvin drove the Greyhound bus route from Atlanta, Ga to Charlotte and back. Might help to check the 1950's locations of roads and bus station location. Use a Compass and Protractor, draw a 10 miles circle around that bus station and good luck. - You might want to research old newspapers for articles about this indian story.

800px-Trails_of_Tears_en.png

Last edited:

Whiteknight7

Sep 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank you very much. I have just started to get in to research like this it’s became my new hobby. But Is also a learning curve to.

Moavero3000

Aug 15, 2023
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help!! when I was a kid Me and My dad tracked all over NE Georgia looking for this one back in the 1970'S ,as far as I can tell no one has found it . The story goes like this back in the 1950'S a bus driver by the name Marvin Chambers picked up an old indian walking into town a few times and after they became friends the old Indian who always paid for his goods with gold in town ,told Mr Chambers he wanted to show him something and to meet him after work ,so they got together and the Indian had him put on a blindfold and the Indian drove him to a place within 10 minutes of Toccoa and they walked about 20 minutes up hill to a cave with a stack of 20 or so leather bags full of gold nuggets at the center of the cave and the Indian told him to fill his pockets full of the nuggets for all the help and friendship he had shown to him ,many of Mr Marvins friends saw the nuggets and he even quit his job driving the bus to look for the cave but he never did find it !! I have talked to many people who were alive and living in Toccoa Georgia back then and they remember this happening so I think this is a true story as best as I can tell . My question is does anyone have more info on this story and are any of you working on this treasure legend? all I have are my Dads old notes and the foot work I have done these last 2 years!!! THANKS!!
331851493_464581615764070_4558979117656689519_n.png

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I bet the area was swarming after that newspaper article was published! Makes you wonder if the family (or newspaper editor) had the guile or gumption to change a detail or two.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"Twenty years before the 1849 gold rush in California, thousands of prospectors flocked into the Cherokee Nation in north Georgia, marking the true beginning of our country’s first gold rush. Dahlonega thrived and a U.S. Branch Mint opened in 1838, coining more than $6 million in gold before closing in 1861. Today, visitors can see a complete set of these rare coins, a nugget weighing more than five ounces, a large hydraulic cannon and nozzle used to blast soil from mountainsides, film and gift shop. They’ll even learn the true story behind 'There's gold in them thar hills!'"

Here are some very interesting (and free!) publications - Gold in Georgia (1933), Gold Deposits in Georgia (1934), etc. During the Great Depression, the federal and many state governments encouraged citizens to look for gold.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I just saw this thread and i would like to write my opinion.
First thing to do is to see where was the limits of Taccoa in about 1950's. After this research, we have to work with logic, measuring all the distance from the town. We know a young man could walk about 3 miles per hour, so we will reduce at half this distance for a young man being blindfolded.
The story says they walked 10 minutes, so 3(mi)/6( tenths of an hour)=0,5 mile from Toccoa in an almost flat level, and i say this becouse after this distance they walked up hill, so they changed altitude. They walked also 20 minutes uphill, so IMO the distance was up to 1 mile , because the difficulties of the climbing.
And we come to the final distance, which IMHO it's about 1,4 mile from Toccoa in an unknown direction.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions