bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, today was a very interesting day. I was gonna go to the spot where I recently found my civil war Maine and Virginia buttons. When I drove up to where I normally park, all of the spots were filled so I decided to keep driving down to the river where there was a fairly large civil war engagement. I used to hunt this area but the Park service has been trying to take over it for several years now. I haven't hunted there now for several years because I thought it was owned by them now. However, there is recently a for sale by owner sign there now so I had my doubts about the Parks Dept owning it.

I parked anyway and walked down to the river to see if I could eyeball any bullets or shell fragments by the water. After a few minutes I noticed something odd sticking halfway out of the water in the rocks. I pulled it out and it was this neat duck made out of hard porcelain or something like that. It has a hollow oblong hole in the back and looks like it was meant to hang on a wall. What surprised the heck out of me is when I washed it at home later the numbers 1773 appeared on the backside. This couldn't be the date it was made could it? Possibly a production number? The numbers seem to be written in an old style though. Did they have things like this hanging on walls that long ago?

Well, after I got back in my car I decided to call the number on the for sale sign to see what the owner was asking for the property. I mean how cool would that be, to own your own battlefield?? Well, the asking price was way out of my range and he said the Park Service didn't want to pay near his price. Although out of my range, he didn't hesitate for a second to give me permission to hunt there. WOOHOO!! I didn't officially have permission before but the property wasn't posted so I took my chances. A lot of people recreate there anyway so I figure it was no big deal.

With official permission, I jumped outta my car with detector in hand. With as hard as this place has been hit over the years, including by me, I couldn't believe how quickly I started pulling out one, two, three musket balls one right after the other. I ended up with 15 full pieces of lead which included mostly musket balls, but a couple of fired Sharps and a three ringer. Check out how that three ringer got perfectly filleted by whatever rock it hit. Found 5 partial pieces of lead too. My find of the day was a partial Shenkl fuse with the Patent date of Oct 16, 1861. If you look up Shenkl fuses, they have this on the top so I was able to positively id it right away with my relic book.

The crazy looking "face" musket ball is just a coincidence and not carved as one might think. This is actually a "buck and ball" round where three smaller pieces of shot are attached to and fired with a musket ball. The impression is made by the force of the rounds against each other as they are fired. What actually caused "the face" is that the bottom of the ball hit something in flight and cause the lower hole to smash up slightly to give the appearance of the whole thing having an "Oh SH-T!" look on its face. I've never seen anything like it and I think its pretty neat.

Also found some old shotgun shell caps as usual and a cork screw from an old pocket knife.
The coins are clad. Thought the dime was silver at first as it rang up that way and came out so nice looking. Unfortunately its a 1999. Thanks for looking and sorry so long winded.

Attachments

• 092711duck.jpg
    092711duck.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 930
  • 092711rivet.jpg
    092711rivet.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 931
  • 092711splitsharps.jpg
    092711splitsharps.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 092711shenkl.jpg
    092711shenkl.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 929
  • 092711display.jpg
    092711display.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 934
  • 092711bucknball.jpg
    092711bucknball.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 928
  • 092711bucknball..jpg
    092711bucknball..jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 925
  • 092711duck...jpg
    092711duck...jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 926
  • 092711duck..jpg
    092711duck..jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0
Really interesting finds, thanks for sharing and congrats on getting the permission to hunt. Just out of curiosity, what was the asking price and for how much property & lake side?

Yes INDEED, those Shenkl fuses are unmistakable, the nice thing is, the part that you found has the whole date on it, that's very cool :occasion14:

I don't think you have a cork screw from a pocket knife, because of all the muzzle loader lead you are finding, my first guess would be that it's a gun worm. The worm was used to recover a lost cleaning patch down in the bottom or the rifle or musket barrel, and it attached to the end of the ram rod, or in the case of the military that used iron ramrods that the tip wouldn't attach to, then it was on the barracks cleaning rod. They were also a big trade item with the Indians. If you are shooting muzzle loaders you have to have a way to get into the bore and clean the gun, because black powder is extremely corrosive. There were a couple of styles, and I can attach a couple of photos, but not right now, because I still have to take them.

BosnMate said:
I don't think you have a cork screw from a pocket knife, because of all the muzzle loader lead you are finding, my first guess would be that it's a gun worm. The worm was used to recover a lost cleaning patch down in the bottom or the rifle or musket barrel, and it attached to the end of the ram rod, or in the case of the military that used iron ramrods that the tip wouldn't attach to, then it was on the barracks cleaning rod. They were also a big trade item with the Indians. If you are shooting muzzle loaders you have to have a way to get into the bore and clean the gun, because black powder is extremely corrosive. There were a couple of styles, and I can attach a couple of photos, but not right now, because I still have to take them.
Yeah, that's what I thought at first too. I'm familiar with them. I have found tons of pulled bullets. It doesn't come close to looking like any of the pullers I have seen though. I'd does however, look exactly like a corkscrew on a pocket knife in a picture in my civil war relic book. That's why I'm leaning towards pocket knife.

:) Great hunting ground has gave up some interesting relics :icon_thumleft: the ol' duck and Ohhh $hi + faced musket ball is a quack up ! :laughing7: Get back out there , should be a more :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: 8)

That's what my face would look like if I was shot from a gun. Perhaps that is why my friends call me "Buck". That is the best "oh, crap" face I have seen in a while.

Congrats on a killer hunt. Love the duck.

Awesome finds buddy :icon_thumright:

WOW, thats a real neat duck. Nice finds there bro, now get "quackin" and find some more goodies (couldn't resist) .......................Rich LOL :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Thanks for the comments folks. Sooo, anyone have a clue on this duck? Can't find anything on the net about it or one like it. Anyone know if they made stuff like this to hang on walls that long ago? Would love to find out if it's really that old.

Now, that's a great hunt! :thumbsup: I'd like to see some more pics of the duck, especially the hole in the the back. I'd like to know if it is porcelain or not? It could be chalkware. Is the brown color dirt or is it painted? Breezie

Breezie said:
Now, that's a great hunt! :thumbsup: I'd like to see some more pics of the duck, especially the hole in the the back. I'd like to know if it is porcelain or not? It could be chalkware. Is the brown color dirt or is it painted? Breezie
Hey Breezie, I'll get more pics of the back up this evening. Honestly, I'm not really sure what it's made of. It's seems like a hard porcelain or something to me. Gotta be fairly tough to be found in the river with only one broken wing. I can't really tell if it's painted or not either. Seems like it's coloration is all patina. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'd really like to know more about this little quacker.

Here's the hole pics Breezie

Attachments

• duckhole..jpg
    duckhole..jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 344
  • duckhole.jpg
    duckhole.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 346
After seeing the actual size with your hand as a reference, I remember seeing something like this when I was a kid (long time ago). These were wall decorations and usually came in sets of three, each one different from the others. People would hang them on the wall to resemble ducks in flight. Hate to be the "pooty-parper", but, if this is the case, the number would not be a year.....

Roland58 said:
After seeing the actual size with your hand as a reference, I remember seeing something like this when I was a kid (long time ago). These were wall decorations and usually came in sets of three, each one different from the others. People would hang them on the wall to resemble ducks in flight. Hate to be the "pooty-parper", but, if this is the case, the number would not be a year.....

Something like this (duck on the right): http://www.urbanattitude.com.au/wall-hanging-ceramic-flying-ducks-set-3/w1/i1015479/

Tigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back