✅ SOLVED Todays Find! WOOHOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first piece of pottery today! WOOHOO! Been collecting artifacts for over 20 years and I finally found one for myself. I have a friend from TX that gave me a whole bunch of Caddo pottery and this piece looks similar. The only difference is this piece has a more polished/smooth texture. Then that very unusual fibrous/hard dark green stone was laying on the sand bar next to it. I've been collecting rocks and gem mining and I've never seen a crystal like it before. Then just before dark I search the same field I found the chunk of rhyolite in yesterday. All I found was a marble? DANG! I'm guessing it's 1900s but if it older could someone let me know what they think. Still had a great day! Thanks and happy huntin' to all!

Attachments

• 0401142025.jpg
    0401142025.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 0401141820.jpg
    0401141820.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 0401142023.jpg
    0401142023.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an exhausting read! Wow. It's a little weird that with all that you know about rocks and artifacts and such, that you mistook a piece of colonial pottery for NA pottery. I would have loved to find the marble- a nice one you have there and a good find for sure. The rock/mineral looks a heck of a lot like what I see around here- used as fill or support against erosion. What I see around here is this interesting green (mineral?)- I'm not rock hound, but am interested enough to look and collect. I don't have an example or pic to show, but it's striated- has a definite grain. It's green- and light won't shine through it but will illuminate the edges a little bit. Not much. This is combined with all the black crush n' run they use around park areas, beach erosion control, etc. So I don't know what it is, and I barely know how to describe it AND I don't have a picture. Not much help, but that's the very first thing that popped in my head when I saw your 'finds'. I picked up a couple pieces when I first moved here and didn't know- then I started seeing it everywhere- so I chucked it in the driveway. So, besides the fact that you haven't up-loaded a better pic of that particular piece, why... what were you really so excited about- enough to say WOOWOO! ??? I don't get it. Are you just testing us to see if we know what NA pottery looks like? Because the other 2 things aren't even NA artifacts. There's a rock and gem forum. And there's a marble forum too. So it all really boils down to the pottery. So...

And as far as knapping material- and hard-stone, I might add that there are really excellent examples of chert and jasper that were brought from as far as Ohio- right here on the Eastern Shore-- as well as the general mid-Atlantic region. Quartz was a last resort and something generally used (but not exclusively by any means) when the community because more permanent, growing crops, etc., and no longer hunting and gathering all the time. At that point, the local lithic was used- and I find a lot of it. But it's rough, generally (but not without exception). The preferred lithic is sedentary rock-- ie, chert, flint, jasper, obsidian (out west mostly)... but you already knew that, I'm sure.

A good idea may be for you to go back through this forum and see what folks here have discussed in the past. Obviously, you know a thing or two about rocks and artifacts, but so do the members here. I doubt we need to be 'tested'. And I'm still not certain how satisfied you are with a) your finds, and b)the answers you received. Please forgive me if I ruffled your feathers by what I've written here. I don't mean to. I just don't get it.

I think I need something other than this bottle of water right now... perhaps a frosty glass of somethingorother...
Yakker

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow yakker.. I couldn't have written it better thank you for that.
One thing I may want to throw in here is crypto crystalline quartzite as well as Micro crystaline quartzsite are proper terms to scientifically describe flint of varying silica content and grain size.
.... So... Its all quartzite really

Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gator- thanks for the clarification. I'm just beginning to understand rocks and I have a long, long way to go. And thanks in general. I gave it my best shot. Cheers!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready to start taking bets on how long it takes this guy to get a vacation.
Glad to hear you had a good day good luck in the future as well

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gator- thanks for the clarification. I'm just beginning to understand rocks and I have a long, long way to go. And thanks in general. I gave it my best shot. Cheers!

It's petrified wood by the way. GB was right with fossil but I believe fossil is too broad. He didn't fully support his answer but it's cool b/c I didn't provide a quality photo. I did provide some properties and try to describe it the best I could. Thanks Cheers!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockheadhunter I have marked your post as solved. Please be so kind as to read the rules of the site and the artifacts board "code of ethics" Welcome to t-net and we look forward to your future post of artifacts in this section.
HH
TnMtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread