What's new

Today's Finds 8-23-2025 **Bucket Lister**

sibbley

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
5,136
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, XP Deus 2, Deeptech Vista X, Nokta Makro Invenio Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For 50 years I've heard about my family's homestead. A farm that was built by my grandfather 6 generations back sometime between 1820 -1830 I think. Haven't found any exacts yet. The old deeds on file at the county courthouse are hard to read. Their handwriting is atrocious.

So back in July, my wife found the current owner of the farm was looking for info related the family that built the house. We got in touch and shared photos and info and were invited to tour the house and barns. When the owners found out that we also did metal detecting, they told us to bring the detectors to see what we could find. Well, today was the day! I finally got to step foot on the property that my ancestors built and worked for nearly a century. The folks that bought the property back in April are doing an awesome job at restoring the house. They found all kinds of old photos left by the previous owner which were cool to see. After the house and barn tour, my wife and I were off to detecting.

We started in the fields my family worked by hand, growing Rye and other crops. I never realized from ariel views or the main road just how hilly the property was. Kind of steep for farming, but they worked it. Found some little bits and pieces, nothing really worth showing, but then hit on a loud 64 on the Manticore. Opened up a plug and it was a coin!

IMG_20250823_132218782_HDR.webp


Sprayed it with some alcohol after wiping some of the dirt off and thought I noticed King George. Well, that can't be I thought to myself, so I flipped it over and holy cow, there was Britania!

IMG_20250823_132627738.webp


My first British Copper ever! I'm still working on it, it's pretty toasted. I think it's a KG II. All I could make out so far on the obverse is II to the right. The bust faces left. I don't think I'll get the date. I'm so happy with this find! I really didn't think I would ever find KG coin.

When the coin is cleaned, I'll update the post with pics. My wife found a Wheatie in the same general area, also still no date. I also found a four-leaf clover token. The rest was mostly trash around the house and barns. Only cherry picked today. We'll go back for sure; we have an open invitation to come back anytime.

Thanks for looking...
 
Upvote 37
A view of the farm from the upper field.

IMG_20250823_130954.webp
 
My first British Copper ever!
That's a great find, and finding it on land with family history is even better. Maybe it belonged to one of your ancestors! If only it could talk!
 
The copper, Four-Leaf Clover token, and 1930 Wheat. Oh, and the trash.

P1002373_WM.webp
P1002374_WM.webp
P1002375_WM.webp
P1002376_WM.webp
P1002377_WM.webp
P1002378_WM.webp
 
Pics of the copper under the coin microscope. The center pic is the date. I see 734, my wife and son see a 7 and 4 and are not sure on the middle number. I used thumbnails because I think the date is easier to see than on the full image. What do you see?

PICT0002.webpPICT0003.webpPICT0004.webp
 
That's a great find, and finding it on land with family history is even better. Maybe it belonged to one of your ancestors! If only it could talk!
My family goes back to 1753 in this particular township, I'm just not sure exactly where they lived before this farm. I do know my grandfather 9 generations back was killed about 20 miles north of the farm in 1756 during the French and Indian War. I also just found recently that there is another house and large stone barn just up the street from the homestead that my family owned. Going to contact the current owner this week.
 
Nice old copper, congrats.
Looks like 1751 possibly.
I think I'm going with 1734. The bust looks to me like a "Young Head" vs the "Old Head". Some examples: Look where the head is in comparison to the "II". Also see how the crown reaches up from the head on the "Young Head" vs the "Old Head".

Young Head
1734 Young Head Obverse.webp


My Coin
PICT0002.webp


Old Head
1751 Old Head Obverse.webp
 
great finds SIB Thank you for sharing with us :)
 
Congrats on finding such a old coin and on your families property too ! :icon_thumleft:
I agree - Bust facing Left - - looks like a Young Head KG 2.

KG 1 - Bust facing Right
KG 2 - Bust facing Left
KG 3 - Bust facing Right
 
Great finds and great story, congrats!
 
You've found a terrific treasure, being able to know its provenance. One of your ancestors very likely had it in his pocket and held it in his hand. Good thing for you that the pocket had a hole in it! Thank you for sharing it with us.
 
Excellent !!! Congratulations !!!
 
For 50 years I've heard about my family's homestead. A farm that was built by my grandfather 6 generations back sometime between 1820 -1830 I think. Haven't found any exacts yet. The old deeds on file at the county courthouse are hard to read. Their handwriting is atrocious.

So back in July, my wife found the current owner of the farm was looking for info related the family that built the house. We got in touch and shared photos and info and were invited to tour the house and barns. When the owners found out that we also did metal detecting, they told us to bring the detectors to see what we could find. Well, today was the day! I finally got to step foot on the property that my ancestors built and worked for nearly a century. The folks that bought the property back in April are doing an awesome job at restoring the house. They found all kinds of old photos left by the previous owner which were cool to see. After the house and barn tour, my wife and I were off to detecting.

We started in the fields my family worked by hand, growing Rye and other crops. I never realized from ariel views or the main road just how hilly the property was. Kind of steep for farming, but they worked it. Found some little bits and pieces, nothing really worth showing, but then hit on a loud 64 on the Manticore. Opened up a plug and it was a coin!

View attachment 2222237

Sprayed it with some alcohol after wiping some of the dirt off and thought I noticed King George. Well, that can't be I thought to myself, so I flipped it over and holy cow, there was Britania!

View attachment 2222238

My first British Copper ever! I'm still working on it, it's pretty toasted. I think it's a KG II. All I could make out so far on the obverse is II to the right. The bust faces left. I don't think I'll get the date. I'm so happy with this find! I really didn't think I would ever find KG coin.

When the coin is cleaned, I'll update the post with pics. My wife found a Wheatie in the same general area, also still no date. I also found a four-leaf clover token. The rest was mostly trash around the house and barns. Only cherry picked today. We'll go back for sure; we have an open invitation to come back anytime.

Thanks for looking...
Awesome find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom