sibbley
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Mar 18, 2023
- Messages
- 1,515
- Reaction score
- 5,136
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Nazareth, PA
- Detector(s) used
- Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, XP Deus 2, Deeptech Vista X, Nokta Makro Invenio Pro
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
My wife and I have a new township property permission we just got this week. We spent an hour or so there on Thursday and found trash. There was a house and several buildings on the property that have fallen down and most of the remnants have been removed. The buildings were there in a 1939 ariel view I got on Tuesday from Penn Pilot. Other than that, I'm not sure how long the property was inhabited before 1939. It's about 88 acres that will be turned into a park with walking trails in about 3 years. The property stands today as it has since at least 1939. Partially wooded with planted fields. We have been given full access, unfortunately, most of the area is overgrown at the moment so we'll need to wait to gain access till the weeds die off.
Anyway, we decided to go back today and work the yard surrounding the parking area. There is about an acre and a half of grass area. Turns out it was a good idea to go back. I made the first good find. We'll keep track of who found what, in order for you all to decide if my wife won the day or I did.
#1 Me: This was an interesting find. Turns out it's from a Perfection # 160 kerosene stove. Possibly early 1900's. Pic of what the rest of the tag looked like below.
#2 My wife: Her first good find of the day. Her second sleigh bell, that still rings after cleaning. ClassicBells.com shows after 1870, as it's a rivet type attachment. They also mention that rivets were widely used however one foundry preferred to use screws although they don't mention the name of that foundry. This bell is threaded.
#3: Her next find is not identified. Maybe someone will have an idea.
#4-5-6: I found the next three items. A small buckle and two rivets.
#5 & 7: She found these items next. A small gear and another unidentified item. At first, we thought it was a whistle.
#8-9-10-11: I found three 9MM shells and a spent bullet which is larger than 9MM.
#12: The last item I found while my wife was putting her detector away. A Wheat Penny. Reverse is pretty toasted. Obverse I believe shows date of maybe 1912.
We only covered about 10 percent of the grassy area. Looking forward to seeing the finds next time out. So, who won the day? She found the bell, but I found the coin.
Anyway, we decided to go back today and work the yard surrounding the parking area. There is about an acre and a half of grass area. Turns out it was a good idea to go back. I made the first good find. We'll keep track of who found what, in order for you all to decide if my wife won the day or I did.
#1 Me: This was an interesting find. Turns out it's from a Perfection # 160 kerosene stove. Possibly early 1900's. Pic of what the rest of the tag looked like below.
#2 My wife: Her first good find of the day. Her second sleigh bell, that still rings after cleaning. ClassicBells.com shows after 1870, as it's a rivet type attachment. They also mention that rivets were widely used however one foundry preferred to use screws although they don't mention the name of that foundry. This bell is threaded.
#3: Her next find is not identified. Maybe someone will have an idea.
#4-5-6: I found the next three items. A small buckle and two rivets.
#5 & 7: She found these items next. A small gear and another unidentified item. At first, we thought it was a whistle.
#8-9-10-11: I found three 9MM shells and a spent bullet which is larger than 9MM.
#12: The last item I found while my wife was putting her detector away. A Wheat Penny. Reverse is pretty toasted. Obverse I believe shows date of maybe 1912.
We only covered about 10 percent of the grassy area. Looking forward to seeing the finds next time out. So, who won the day? She found the bell, but I found the coin.

Upvote
19







