Todays finds from 90 minute hunt at park - tiny silver and other keepers

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Today's finds from 90 minute hunt at park - tiny silver and other keepers

Kids were off school today, so I took them with me to the park / campground I've been hunting lately. My older son (12) used his Ace250 to pop out 4 pennies and a quarter. His little brother (7) helped me dig a few holes, and then collected some sticks.

I found an interesting lipstick tube that says Hazel Bishop on the bottom. When you pull the little button back, the lid flips up and slides down into the tube. Way down deep inside there is some bright red lipstick. Looks like an old time container - any guesses on how old?

The scout's slide is probably one of the coolest I've found yet.

The little arrow is marked sterling on the back. I put it next to a penny so you can see how tiny it is.

Also got a 1945 S nickel.

Not bad for a beautiful morning in the park with my two boys.

Attachments

• IMG_9076.jpg
    IMG_9076.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_9028.jpg
    IMG_9028.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_9025.jpg
    IMG_9025.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_9027.jpg
    IMG_9027.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_9079.jpg
    IMG_9079.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_9080.jpg
    IMG_9080.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: Today's finds from 90 minute hunt at park - tiny silver and other keepers

Very nice anytime out with the boys is a good time. :thumbsup:

KG6YLL

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Nice finds!
The name sounds like something I remember as a kid, so I'd guess around the 50's for that lipstick.
Like that slide.
Mike

PS. The stick collecting cracked me up. I remember the same from my kids when they were small.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

silver=good hunt

spending the day with the boys=best hunt of the year!

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Nice finds. Mike is right about the lipstick, it was produced in the early 50's. Here's an article on Hazel Bishop that you may find interesting. :)

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Nice finds!! Congrats on getting the kids involved and for the silver & cool slide! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

I was in the boy scouts also. Made it to eagle. The arrow that says sterling is an order of the Arrow pin. it was only for people who made it into the order of the arrow and it was one of those seperate societies that the boy scouts selected their most proudest scouts/ loyal.

http://www.oa-bsa.org/

theres all about the order of the arrow. I think that is a really awesome find! :) The neckerchief slide is a good find too. Thought that would be good information for you.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used

kg6yll said:
Very nice anytime out with the boys is a good time. :thumbsup:

KG6YLL

Thanks KG6YLL, I wish my 12 year old had more patience, and I can't wait for my 7 year old to get more interested in detecting.

mikewaz said:
Nice finds!
The name sounds like something I remember as a kid, so I'd guess around the 50's for that lipstick.
Like that slide.
Mike

PS. The stick collecting cracked me up. I remember the same from my kids when they were small.

Thanks Mike - yeah, Will had a pretty nice collection of little sticks going. I'd find a nice sounding detection for his older brother to check out with his Ace250 and dig up, and Will would jam a stick in the ground to mark the spot.

minton7 said:
silver=good hunt

spending the day with the boys=best hunt of the year!

Thanks Minton. While I enjoy being able to concentrate on hunting when I'm by myself, it is really fun having the kids along. Reminds me of my brother and I when we first got interested in detecting.

Kevin Bozard said:
Nice finds. Mike is right about the lipstick, it was produced in the early 50's. Here's an article on Hazel Bishop that you may find interesting. :)

Kevin - thank you for the link to info on Hazel Bishop. I am real pleased with this find - it is the coolest lipstick container I've ever found.

kimsdad said:
Nice finds!! Congrats on getting the kids involved and for the silver & cool slide! :thumbsup:

Thanks Kimsdad! Last week my older son Kenny and I displayed our finds and discussed metal detecting with a big group of boy scouts from the local pack, and then let them try out the detectors in the park. One kid really took to it, and loved to hunt in all metal mode and was digging up everything! He even found a tiny gold ring that looked like it was either a toe ring or for a baby's finger. I guess that's what can happen if you detect in all metal all the time :D

Detectingfreak said:
I was in the boy scouts also. Made it to eagle. The arrow that says sterling is an order of the Arrow pin. it was only for people who made it into the order of the arrow and it was one of those seperate societies that the boy scouts selected their most proudest scouts/ loyal.

theres all about the order of the arrow. I think that is a really awesome find! :) The neckerchief slide is a good find too. Thought that would be good information for you.

Detectingfreak - thanks for the information on the Order of the Arrow. The park where I like to hunt has seen many den meetings over the years, so it makes sense that I'm finding some scouting items here and there. I appreciate the link to additional info as well! Any idea how old the neckerchief slide might be???

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina

Detectingfreak said:

Additionally, that little metal loop above the arrow in the first image is the part that attached the arrow to the wearers pocket button. All that is missing is the narrow red and white ribbon that connected the two items.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used

Additionally, that little metal loop above the arrow in the first image is the part that attached the arrow to the wearers pocket button. All that is missing is the narrow red and white ribbon that connected the two items.

Cool - thanks for that added bit of info. I found both pieces in the same hole. Found the button hanger thing first, then rechecked the hole and noticed there was still something there. It took a while to find the little silver arrow, as it is so small. I am not sure I would have found it at all if it weren't for the button hanger thing being right next to it in the ground.

Jim

kansas coin hunter

Feb 24, 2008
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites q2 6000 di series 3 6000di pro and whites bulleye pin pointer

i have one of those order the aroew awards i made it to brother hood and was also an eagle scout and scout master as well the necker cheif slide dates back in the 40s or 50s i still have mine some where keep it low and slow friend nice digs kansas coin hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread