What's new

todays finds.. odd kind of day

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today's finds.. odd kind of day

no points at all today. two scrapers. figured I would just post all. biggest deer teeth I think I've ever found. 1 piece is pretty interesting though. it's rolled metal. at first I was thinking tinker or maybe spearhead. but I don't know.. never found any native american metal artifacts. it's not copper.. its magnetic. but shows no rust...dunno. please excuse the hands they took a beating today.

IMG_20120715_184039-1.webp



ForumRunner_20120715_205104.webp



ForumRunner_20120715_205245.webp



ForumRunner_20120715_205544.webp



ForumRunner_20120715_205913.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow some pretty interesting stuff you found!
 
thanks... there was more.. but this is the wrong forum for that. I went to 2 sites. also got musket balls. gunflint.. and some broken clay pipe pieces.
 
thank you...I found this as well. I belive its french gunflint. thanks for the info.

ForumRunner_20120715_221804.webp
 
thank you...I found this as well. I belive its french gunflint. thanks for the info.

View attachment 654331

ive a few french gunflints after finding them and researching i learned that the french widely used a creamy tan yellow flint most examples ive seen have a more perfect square look than does yours and most always (from what ive seen) the striking points on the edges usually go all the way around. maybe they had just started using that pc or something. the striked edge on your pc is definately how gunflints look. killer outing. hey can we call you something besides always thats not a name. how bout gatorboy or swampswashbuckler or something??
 
ha ha... that would be great actualy. Im so sick of that name. I just Dont know to change it. Gatorboy works for me. oh... yeah your right. that flint is spanish not french.
 
thanks for that.. that explains the size
 
Not Deer,yours look like bison.(pleistocene period) Quite common here also in the indian shell middens that I hunt as well as horse from the pleistocene period.I just made a post a few days back on the ones I find.Also a few wild boar & wolf teeth mixed in them as well.Here's the post......................

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/american-indian-artifacts/301996-i-think-i-have-toothache.html

Take Care,
Pete,

It's often difficult to distinguish bison teeth from cow teeth. Cows have been here on the East Coast for some 400 years after being introduced from Europe. Their close bovid relatives, the bison, has been here much longer, of course.

Horses were another introduction from Europe about the same time. (Native horses were extinct in the SE long before shell middens appeared.)

There were no native wild boars here prior to their introduction by Europeans. (I understand that DeSoto had domesticated pigs on his exploration of the SE.)

The assemblage of animal remains you describe suggests that you are collecting what might be called "sub-fossils" -- remains of animals, in this case, less than 500 years old.

Here are some images you can use for comparison:
bison_bos_m3.webpbison_bos_m3_B.webpcow_m3.webp
cow_cheekteeth.webp​
 
It's often difficult to distinguish bison teeth from cow teeth. Cows have been here on the East Coast for some 400 years after being introduced from Europe. Their close bovid relatives, the bison, has been here much longer, of course.

Horses were another introduction from Europe about the same time. (Native horses were extinct in the SE long before shell middens appeared.)

There were no native wild boars here prior to their introduction by Europeans. (I understand that DeSoto had domesticated pigs on his exploration of the SE.)

The assemblage of animal remains you describe suggests that you are collecting what might be called "sub-fossils" -- remains of animals, in this case, less than 500 years old.

Here are some images you can use for comparison:

Thanks Harry,I'll go with that idea.Your better at the fossil stuff then me.I do know that where I find them, are very old sites.Mainly indian,Also will add that they are always found on hard bottom areas such as clay where it's not able to sink out of site to well.Other things found with them would be shells that are not found in the sound region nomore.Still can find such shells on the oceanside like them but long gone from the sound areas.Such shells like very large conch shells,and very big clams.I've read that John Lawson observed the indians killing & eating bison here when he came to explore the coast of the carolina's.
Anyway Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 
yes mine are definitely sub fossil. I have horse and bison fossil. they are black and hard as rock. plestocine and shell midden definitely don't go together.
 
when it comes to bison and the natives in florida the same is true. it is much more likely bison rather than cow from the context they were retrieved.
 
this should give an idea a peat bog can do some amazing things

ForumRunner_20120716_105240.webp
 
yes mine are definitely sub fossil. I have horse and bison fossil. they are black and hard as rock. plestocine and shell midden definitely don't go together.

Yea I didn't mean to put the two together in that respect.What I was getting at is that where I find my stuff is on a hard clay type bottom sometimes shallow from erosion & such.And that things aren't going to pass through that layer of hard clay to easy at all.So was kinda getting at the areas like that may hold multiple ages of finds.And normally do for me.From teeth to native american to colonial & so on.Sorry about the miss understanding.
 
sounds like you have a really good spot. it's a lot like mine. that clay can be a real treasure trove. just for comparison here's a downloaded photo of a bison tooth next to the 1 in my hand

ForumRunner_20120716_110820.webp



ForumRunner_20120716_111111.webp



ForumRunner_20120716_111314.webp
 
not cow.......
 
ha ha... that would be great actualy. Im so sick of that name. I just Dont know to change it. Gatorboy works for me. oh... yeah your right. that flint is spanish not french.

gatorboy it is then ...hey pm riverrat she can tell you what to do about your username
 
cool.... thank god
 
i changed my name on here once i was ohioan before but instead of just changing my name i just created a new account, but im sure a mod can tell you how to just change your name so you don't lose your stats etc. but i have to tell you i really liked swampswashbuckler over gatorboy but gatorboy is easier :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom