What's new

Todays Halves

enamel7

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
6,415
Reaction score
2,551
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Halves

Hi all!
All 4 boxes were dated 1-27-10. Same as last Thursday. Didn't expect much.
1) 1967.
HH
Gilbert
 
Upvote 0
Re: Today's Halves

I do 2 boxes a week. For January 2010 I had 7-90%, 14-40%. Skunked on 1 box.
 
Re: Today's Halves

Do you have the CWI boxes? I've gotten date stamped CWI boxes dated Oct. 14 2009 mostly for the last few weeks.. all skunks.

I got a feeling someone at the facility culls the silver. Do you always get dated boxes? What part of the country do you live?
 
Re: Today's Halves

1 is better than none.
 
Re: Today's Halves

SFBayArea said:
Do you have the CWI boxes? I've gotten date stamped CWI boxes dated Oct. 14 2009 mostly for the last few weeks.. all skunks.

I got a feeling someone at the facility culls the silver. Do you always get dated boxes? What part of the country do you live?
I'm in NC. Yes I get the CWI boxes. Culling of silver has been brought up many timess. I donn't believe it happens. the people working at the coin rolling facilities are too busy doing their job to be pullinng out silver. Besides, they would probably get in trouble. They're not just sitting around the table searching thru coins. It's like saying people that work at a brewery are drinking all the time.
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: Today's Halves

So why do you think these latest group of CWI boxes are so bad. Is there a monster CRH in the area that leaves all their dumps?
 
Re: Today's Halves

Most of the coins that are in circulation are clad. The mint adds more clad to the equation. Silver is only added as people turn it in. I personally believe more will start showing up in the next few months as coin from the holidays makes it into boxes. Then again, the more people searching the less chance of finding it. This is a hobby. You take the good with the bad. People that can't need to find another hobby.
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: Today's Halves

Yeah.. I still think that it's odd that the date stamped boxes are so bad. They must have someone there takes some out. If I worked at a place like that, I would try to get in real good with my boss. Inform the boss of the situation, then work out a way so that it's a mutual benefit. Unfortunately in this world, you'd be suprised what people would do for money.

I worked at a department store when I was in college and found a silver quarter and some regular halves. I told my manager about it and was able to get the coins at the end of the day as I was able to replace them with my change with their permission of course. Think if this on a grander scale if you work at one of these coin sorting and package facilities. You might not have time to search everything but you could sure get the ones that stand out.
 
Re: Today's Halves

From what I am told, taking silver from rolling centers can get you fired. I agree that they don't have the time OR access to pull them out because of a protective barrier. Even in banks they are on camera at all times and I think they would have a problem if it was noticed. I'm not saying they can't put coin aside for you or me but, they must sell it to you at face value even if they do get silver handed to them in loose change.
I know it sounds like a lot of silver goes through banks each day but it is really a drop in the bucket and not worth the time or money for them to retrieve it. :hello:
 
Re: Today's Halves

....but people who work at brewerys do drink all the time. I know some that do.
 
Re: Today's Halves

AGCoinHunter said:
....but people who work at brewerys do drink all the time. I know some that do.
I didn't mean the tasters! :laughing7:
 
Re: Today's Halves

As far as I know.. many bank tellers cull silver.. They just set the coins aside, tell their manager, and then pay to replace the ones they want. Trust me.. I've spoken to a bunch of them. It's not like the bank is losing money this way. The reality of life is if you get in good with management or someone higher up, they can do those things for you. In life, it's like I help you so you help me. Nothing is for free. Do I not agree with it.. but life is not ideal.. it is only real and that's the reality of the situation.

So any guesses why the date stamped boxes are so skunkish if it's not employees culling the goods?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom