What's new

Todays hunt

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
USA
Well since two boxes didn't come in yesterday I found myself with an extra grand in ME pocket today. Working out of town I thought when I got done I would head to the next town- they should have a grand worth by now as some guy deposits $100 a week and they usually have some others. I know his weekly drop is dumps but last time I got 4 he missed and some other rolls they had were pretty good. Also this was the place I got them $100 boxes from. Anyways while working I got a call from the coin lady from the next town in the other direction- got $500 already (only been a week), so after work I headed that direction instead. Got that bag then made another lil stop and sniped a box I missed by a day at another bank. Then picked up my ordered 2 boxes. While there waiting I spied a walker in the coin tray at the drive up teller so I asked if there was any loose halves I could buy- yep $6 and as she carries them over she is studying one. I put them in my pocket and went my Merry way. When I got the load to the truck I looked and no Walker but there was a '66.
Did the bag first- all dumps. Then the sniped box- skunk. Something tells me I should have stuck with the original plan- will do that Monday.
Onto the first ordered box- got 3 Bens, 3 40%ers, and this '43 Walker
DSCN1288_edited.jpg

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1300.jpg

Beautiful coin but so shiny it looks chromed almost- has the flat spot on the front up the leg and chest and on the eagle but no sign of tarnish whatsoever. Anybody ever see anything like this? Dad told me when they were kids they'd put mercury on tarnished silvers and make them bright and shiny again. I weighed the coin and it weighs 12.4 grams like a silver. Edge was so shiny I thought I got another silver proof.
Gonna save the second box for tomarrow. HH all, Mark
 
Upvote 0
ME_CO said:
...Dad told me when they were kids they'd put mercury on tarnished silvers and make them bright and shiny again.

My dad once told me the same thing when I was a boy. So I went and got some mercury from a broken thermometer and used it on a silver dime. Yep it shined it up really nice, but I had a devil of a time getting the mercury off while trying not to touch the stuff. It was like trying to get iron powder off a magnet, you could chase it around but not be able to get it off.

That is a nice coin you got there by the way.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)
 
It is just heavily polished with a buffer, or something. I've found a couple of 76's that looked the same shine wise...
 
That Walker looks like some coins my parents had. They bought a framed display of "Twentieth Century Coins" by mail order about thirty years ago. All the coins, including the silver, had been polished, then lacquered. I have them now and they still haven't tarnished. I've been thinking about taking the lacquer off, but haven't done it yet.
 
Thanks for the info- I do believe it is laquered. Sorted the last box tonight and got one more Ben and 3 more 40%ers. Not a bonanza but I like them 90%'s. HH all, Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom