Today's hunting with a guest just starting out.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We started by peeking in a closed public buildings doors to see a memorial to a local detectorist.

Then on to a low target field to get orientated.
After working out ground balance and pinpointing ,it was on to depth and target type ranges.
Once target i.d. on solid targets became slightly familiar , and tidy recoveries were understood we went to a well trashed / multi target park.

Right away an example of poor plugs and recovery was available. A scab of sod was a foot from an open shallow hole...with a quarter unrecovered deeper in the hole...

The amount of items in this park are boggling. Past hunts have been interesting when some one not familiar with it either make no recoveries ,or head back to their vehicle after a few minutes.
Just right for a new detectorist to sort through once the basics are known.

An absolutely gorgeous day weatherwise ,with good moisture level in the soil. IMG_20170621_152534.jpg
The new guy now has a pretty firm grasp of his machines ability and he locates/ isolates targets good.

Leaving a good recovery site and some park etiquette are established , and enough confidence to run solo to gain time and experience with the machine.

We' ll hunt again down the road..

Today's haul includes 3 quarters ,3 dimes ,and 3 1\ 2 cents.

Upvote 15

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day and good way to start out. Sounds like you all had a fun and educational day all in one!:icon_thumright:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have filled in many holes dug by someone else, you can obviously tell the difference between an armadillo and a human. education and fun combined, pretty good time

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thrilled that your friend had such a great outcome for his first hunt. Thank you for teaching him some of the ropes.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly appreciate anyone will to take a newbie under their wing and teach them the ropes. I have done this with a few folks and it indeed requires patience of which I realize how little I have at times. It's difficult for me to turn off the "gotta' get more treasure" switch. Well done mate. Great service to the community. Kudos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
releventchair

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thrilled that your friend had such a great outcome for his first hunt. Thank you for teaching him some of the ropes.

I enjoyed the company ,surprisingly.
Did my share of things you must need to do as examples...like finding another coin in a plug I had already replaced and blended in ; after already saying always check before filling/ replacing....ect..

The ambition and perspective from his watching many videos of gold nugget hunting , prospecting,metal detecting and finally getting familiar with his machine really had the wheels turning with just a mild tempering of reality.
Not enough to dampen enthusiasm though. More, a better glimpse of possibility.

We both needed a diversion and detecting suited well.
. Good laughs and feigned frustration at some targets that ran top to bottom on the scale , possible" gold" pull tabs that must be dug and those tough to ferret out sneaky hidey recoveries trying to elude us that started out so certainly easy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread