Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's morning hunt...

Decided to hit the park this morning for a few hours. The forecast called for temps in the mid 60's with sun. Yup, i'll take it! Got to the park around 9am and was delighted to see not a soul around. No cars in the lot, but mine. Perfect.

Started around the baseball field with a few pieces of clad found. Moved to the older sections of the park and found a plethora of bottlecaps and pulltabs. Did manage a 46 nickel, damn, missed it by one year.

As usual, i stop swinging for a few minutes to pick up the surface trash and noticed a walker watching me. As they walked past, they say "thank you". Odd, but ok, cool. As the morning went on, the park started to fill signalling my time to leave, but i wanted that one last coin. I get a solid hit, dig my plug, pull out handkerchief to pile the dirt on. A few seconds later, its a 65 quarter, DAMMIT, so close again. I filled my hole, replaced and stamp my plug, looked up to a police officer watching me 10' away. My heart sunk, my a$% was tight, i waited for the enivitable. He waved, yelled good luck and drove off. Oh thank god.

Overall, a good day out, 20+ coins (clad) and some spring air. Thanks for reading,

Jay

Upvote 0
Hey everyday can't be gold and silver! At least you were out there finding stuff of value, and enjoying!

..... looked up to a police officer watching me 10' away. My heart sunk, my a$% was tight, i waited for the enivitable. He waved, yelled good luck and drove off. Oh thank god......

Haha, you were setting us up for another "blue meanie" story, ha! Yeah I've had that happen too, where some type of authority starts walking over, or drives up, or whatever. And I think "ah crud, here it comes". But just like your case, they say something "my brother in law has one of those, and I'm thinking of getting one", or "found anything good?", or just something harmless like "we're going to be closing the gate in 20 minutes".

In fact, I think a lot of the time, an authority's response to us (their "perception" of whether "something is wrong" or not), is merely a factor of how we act. You know, the subliminal conduct. If you or I have an evasive reaction of "oh no, did he see me? " type demeanor, then this is subconsciously picked up on by the person looking at you. And then it only makes it go through their mind "gee, I wonder what he's doing?" or "gee, I wonder if that's allowed?" etc... So ironically, sometimes it's best to throw a big smile, wave, and "act like you own the place". Then people just assume you know what you're doing :)

Haha, Tom, some of the horror stories i've read here recently went thru my mind. And i thought, i'm next! Although, the some of the walkers were giving me the stink eye until they saw me put down the MD to pick up trash. I mean, really, leave the nice paved trail and help clean this nice park. Enjoyable day though.

I always get watched at our local Park. Its difficult to go and not see people. We have blacktop circling the park people walk on from dusk till dawn. A lot of which give me odd looks. The entrance is also a one way drive to the exist, pd drive slow watching me haha. I've never been approached but I'd probably resemble a deer in headlights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back