What's new

todays road trip

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went on a road trip today, first place had a bag with $959 in halves in bag, I had to beg and plead to get them to sell it to me, I finally got them to give it up, :tongue3: hit several more banks in a big circle, ended up getting about $1250 altogether.......I got a whopping:

1961 Franklin, and a 1968 40%............ and 1956 foreign coin and that is it!

don't even think I paid for my gas :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • S6303822.webp
    S6303822.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
That foreign silver? Appears to be. Franks are always nice to get.
 
It does not have that silver sound when you drop it on table, it may be nickel?....but then again, magnet did not stick, so I have no idea?
 
Thats a British two shilling. Little info for you...

Condition
Condition is a primary factor in figuring the worth of 1956 two shilling coins. Coins are graded on a scale that runs from poor and fair through extremely fine and several grades of choice uncirculated. A 1956 double florin in fine condition is worth about one pound in current British money, or more than $1.50, with extremely fine examples worth about three times that much. The metal value of these coins is inconsequential. Although they're silver in appearance, they contain no silver.
Metal Content
Shilling and two shilling pieces were originally silver coins. From at least the 11th Century until 1920, British silver coins were made of sterling silver, a little more than 92 percent pure silver. The remainder of the coins was base metal, to add strength. Pre-1920 two shilling coins contained .3364 troy ounces of silver. In 1920, the proportion of silver in all coins was cut in half. And in 1947, as a result of post-war budgetary demands, the silver was eliminated entirely and replaced with an alloy of copper and nickel.
Obverse
The 1956 two shilling coin contains a picture of Queen Elizabeth II on the front. The Queen is shown in profile and facing to the right. She wears a wreath of laurel leaves on her head, after the manner of Roman emperors or heroes. The rim on this side of the coin is encircled with the Latin phrase "ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA," or "Elizabeth II By the Grace of God, Queen."
Reverse
The back of the coin is dominated by a Tudor rose. It recalls the symbol of the royal house of Tudor, the family of Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and other English sovereigns. The rose is surrounded by thistles, leeks and shamrocks, the respective symbols of Scotland, Wales and Ireland. An inscription appears along the rim: "FID DEF TWO SHILLINGS 1956." The first two words are abbreviations for "Fidei Defensor," Latin for "Defender of the Faith," a traditional royal title.
Potential
Collectors seek the 1956 two shilling piece because of its inherent historical and cultural value. The coin is a relic of Britain's pre-decimal coinage. The old British monetary system of pounds, shillings and pence, celebrated in story and legend, is enshrined in the national psyche. Once known familiarly as "two bob," the two shilling florin is regularly bought and sold by coin dealers and on online auctions.
 
wow real cool info, thank you for posting!
 
Goes4ever said:
went on a road trip today, first place had a bag with $959 in halves in bag, I had to beg and plead to get them to sell it to me, I finally got them to give it up, :tongue3: hit several more banks in a big circle, ended up getting about $1250 altogether.......I got a whopping:

1961 Franklin, and a 1968 40%............ and 1956 foreign coin and that is it!

don't even think I paid for my gas :icon_scratch:

That has happened to me B4, not even paying for my gas I mean. Would say 2 out of 3 trips do do pretty good normally.
 
I think it was in February I drove across the whole State into RI and only got a dozen clad. I've had some bad road trips but that was the worst. I'm glad you got something.
Interesting info on the shilling. I've found a couple of them but never thought they had any value so I gave them away.
Good research AG!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom