Token with radial text?

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
I was walking along an old wagon path in southern New Hampshire with my White's XLT a few years ago and found what appeared to be a token. It was largely weathered down and I couldn't make anything of it save for what appeared to be a small paragraph on one side in radial text format. The coin/token was about the size of a large cent.

I unfortunately can't seem to locate this coin but do remember taking a piece of paper and lightly sketching across the text with a pencil to hopefully pick up the text... I may be able to dig this piece of paper up somewhere but was curious if any of you might know off hand what kind of coin/token this might be beforehand? Thought perhaps some of you might be able to identify this based on description first due to the odd nature of the coin.

This was the first old coin I found near a cellar hole so I'm very curious. Any info would be appreciated. :)

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome CoinSniper! I'm in southern New Hampshire and would be glad to help ID this token (as would many others here). But I think you're going to have to find it... we're nuts about pictures here, but even without that a partial text would be required to help with this ID. Stick around, there's a great group of minds here. And, since we're in the same region, has the weather been hot enough for you lately? :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CoinSniper

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
I've actually moved to the Portland, ME area... weather has been very hot up here as well. I will try to dig up the text sketch-over and will aim to post on here soon. The text is arched upward, must be 10 lines or so on one side of the coin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CoinSniper

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
I don't have any coins in front of me but the coin is about the same size of your standard bottle cap (scan size about accurate). I have since lost this coin but these are the paper/pencil sketches I made in an attempt to decipher what the text said on the coin. I couldn't see any other details on the coin except on this side. This was found on an old wagon path in south-western NH adjacent to a cellar hole (assumably dating around mid to late 1800s). I think this is a trade token of some sort but haven't been able to find any coins/tokens resembling what I can make of this as of yet... anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, CoinSniper—

Many 19th century tokens had similar curved lettering, and unless you can make out some of the words, there's probably not much hope of getting an ID. Here's an example of a Hard Times token of similar design, issued in 1837 by William Simes & Co. of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Attachments

• Simes-1.JPG
    Simes-1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Simes-2.JPG
    Simes-2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread