Tokens, Turtle, Whats it?

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tokens, Turtle, What's it?

Recent finds at local park. The tokens all say: coin meter token and on one of them, there is the letter R on the back. The others are blank on the back. The round what's it says Chimo and is flat and has 2 prongs in the shape of a V on the back. The turtle charm has no markings and appears to be pewter. It's always interesting to see what I'm going to find next! Love this hobby!

Attachments

• tokensmisc.JPG
    tokensmisc.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tokens, Turtle, What's it?

The Coin Meter Tokens Remind me of Early PA turnpike Tokens

However , They may be Early Parking Meter Tokens also.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great Finds!!!, TreasureLady...
Love that little turtle... Those are some odd shaped tokens, I don't think I've seen any like them...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Hey there TL. Haven't conversed with you for a while. See that you haven't lost your touch. Good to see that the Hubby is getting out with you. Did you make the big move yet?
Spotz

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good to hear from you again, TL. Those tokens are great. I'm still looking for my first.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

If I recall, those "Coin Meter" tokens were used in laundromats - the coin mechanism was made by the Coin Meter company (I think it was a New York or New Jersey-based company) was fitted to washing machines and the tokens were used instead of coins. ?Googling "Coin Meter" gives quite a few hits - there have obviously been variations on this scheme over the years.

I suppose the point of this was to avoid having cash in the machine so it would not be an attractive target for break-ins. ?Perhaps one would be able to buy the tokens from an attendant who was at the laundromat at certain times. ?Maybe that is why you were able to find three of them at once - the person who lost them may have stocked up on tokens when they had a chance.

John in Idaho

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

congrats on the finds treasure_lady and your right the best part of this hobby is always wondering what is going to come up from the ground next.
hh
dave+bobbie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread