What's new

Tomahawk / axe head found this morning.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
3,315
Reaction score
250
Golden Thread
0
Location
»»--------->
I posted this in the todays finds earlier this morning I guess it's alright to repost here. I found this axe head this morning while working on a drainage ditch. It was laying in an old pile of scrap metal under a spring house in southern West Virginia on a friends farm. They are rerouting the water line to a cow pond. Does anyone know anything about this style of axe? Recorded history of the farm goes back to the early 1700s. Would you clean it up or soak it in something or leave it as it is? It's got some kind of corrosion / rusting going on. I volunteered to help out because I've found some native american artifacts on the farm,( I also found 2 arrowheads) but I sure didn't expect to find this, It made my day. Any comments / opinions are appreciated, have a good one.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,267916.0.html
 

Attachments

  • phpdaZ9FbPM.webp
    phpdaZ9FbPM.webp
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • phppUK0SRPM.webp
    phppUK0SRPM.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 801
  • phpPLi05kPM.webp
    phpPLi05kPM.webp
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • phpdaZ9FbPM.webp
    phpdaZ9FbPM.webp
    72.7 KB · Views: 715
  • phppUK0SRPM.webp
    phppUK0SRPM.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 707
  • phpPLi05kPM.webp
    phpPLi05kPM.webp
    84.2 KB · Views: 853
Upvote 0
I have one almost exactly like it. I bought it new about 20 or 25 years ago from smoky mountain knife works.
It is a throwing hatchet.
 
I have one almost just like it. I bought it new from smoky mountain knife works about 20 years ago. It is a throwing hatchet.
 
Hey Bobby, that post was five years old!! But you are correct and all those that yelled banner showed their ignorance of the subject. I had one too, although in the 1960s, I think they used to sell them in magazine ads before SMKW was around.
 
I believe this was solved in the what is it section several years ago. This thread is pretty old. Welcome to the site BobbyDawg
 
Its not fair you guys find all the pretty stuff and I find gnarly things like this

ForumRunner_20140314_193224.webp



ForumRunner_20140314_193312.webp



IMG_20140122_135448.webp
 
Gnarly but has plenty of beauty in the last pic. Nice find GatorBoy.
 
That is a totally awesome find !!!!!! NOTWORTY !!!!
 
Gnarly but has plenty of beauty in the last pic. Nice find GatorBoy.

Does it still have the wood in the hole?
 
It has solidified sandstone like crust that replaced the wood.. if I were to pour a resin inside the sandstone shell it would make a perfect mold of that portion of the handle.
 
Last edited:
You should that would be neat looking.
 
It's been done many times with shipwreck artifacts.. But rock I would have to break open what's there now in order to do that I'm not going to do that
 
No I wouldnt do it either. Its nice just the way it sits.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom