What's new

Tomahawk?

GreyGhost

Full Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
174
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this recently in southeastern Arizona less than a mile from the U.S. border not too far from Nogales.
It was sitting on the surface of the soil in a small field, it was not buried at all. The area is very hilly and filled with grass and oak trees and this small field looked like it could have been a nice pasture at one point.
The only other thing I found in the area probably about 75 yards away from this object was about 7 to 8 u-shaped nails. They did not look very old (fifty years maybe) and looked like the type you'd nail some fencing to a post with.
The object was heavily rusted and I soaked it in Evapo-rust for several days (that's probably where most of the pits came from). I did this because I didn't think it was very old and thought "what the heck, might as well get the rust off it". Since then I've been looking at pictures of tomahawks online and am now wondering if that's what it is. It appears to have been "hand forged" because the round indentations on both sides are not uniform with each other and the edges are not even either. Does not look like something that was pounded out by a factory in China anytime soon but then again it could just be very cheap steel that was only 50 or so years old and just rusted very rapidly. I have a feeling its some kind of tool a rancher used but its too small to be useful as an axe. Maybe its the sharpened end of a pick?
I don't think the natives in this area even used "tomahawks" like this but I could be wrong about that too.
Thanks

5388689598_67a4002023_z.jpg


5388695350_88a6c90f11_z.jpg


5388693426_825ac7805b_z.jpg


5388084693_d023bef1da_z.jpg
 
Doesn't look like any tomahawk I have seen, but I haven't seen many except in a museum. Traders often traded small iron hand axes to the indians however. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the broken end of a wedge/chisel. Maybe for splitting wood? Tony
 
Upvote 0
I guess I meant more like "broken piece of a tomahawk".
Maybe I'm relating the pictures I've seen of modern tomahawks i.e. Cold Steel to this item and that's where I'm drawing my conclusions from.

118646.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I think it could be the wedge that goes in a box plane against the cutting edge....holding it in place.
There are literly 100's of different plane designs.
Just my WAG.
TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Cool find, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it has those round indentations and what they were used for.
 
Upvote 0
RGINN said:
Cool find, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it has those round indentations and what they were used for.

My feelings too.
They aren't even either as you can see from the photos.
The area has a lot of history. Not too far from TONS of mining operations and the Nogales/Tubac area where lots of Spaniards passed through.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Tony in S.C. A wedge 8)
 
Upvote 0
TiredIron said:
I think it could be the wedge that goes in a box plane against the cutting edge....holding it in place.
There are literly 100's of different plane designs.
Just my WAG.
TiredIron

Chisel plane would be my guess too :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom