Tombac flat button with shank, and two other... buttons(?)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. This morning before work I zipped over to the farm nearby and detected for about 90 minutes. No coins today, but I did get an excellent tombac spun back flat button with the full shank still attached! No design on the front, but still - what a lucky find!

I also found two other button-sized objects:
- the first is oval and not circular, and on the back it has a spot where there may have been a shank. Was this a weird shaped button, or some sort of decoration for a saddle or something?
- the second has a hole in the middle that looks to be the shape of a square nail, and on one side it looks like it was hand-decorated with some sort of stamp. It's irregularly circular, making me think it was some sort of hand-made decoration. Or maybe a button? Any guesses?

Thanks for looking!

- Brian

The misty morning:
AiKd5W0.jpg

VvilBka.jpgySbs02M.jpg
PPln53X.jpg8gHuUHB.jpg

The oval button?
AywRI5M.jpgLPZyxG5.jpg

The hand-made...thing?
nmXAQ72.jpgyCx8OV9.jpg

Upvote 8
Nice Tombac button!
I love the way they come out of the ground looking like they were just dropped yesterday. That's a good, solid shank on it. :thumbsup:
Very cool photo of your hunt site with the mist still hanging over it...
The circular relics with the hole in them might be part of a drawer pull from a piece of furniture?

That looks like a manure spreader. You're detecting in freshly spread manure? Ewwwww! Wear rubber boots as the manure will eat up leather. Gary

That looks like a manure spreader. You're detecting in freshly spread manure? Ewwwww! Wear rubber boots as the manure will eat up leather. Gary
If walking in manure is what it takes to get the good stuff, Gary, then that's what I'll do! :)

Seriously, though, we're not actually hunting in manure. The farmer likes what my son and I are finding so much that he actually avoided spreading in the area that we are detecting (which is only maybe 50'x50', near the old well. I use a program called Tect O Trak and enter the GPS coordinates of my better finds - picture below - and they're all clustered together.)
And the farmer claims that he's spreading "compost", which I hope is different than manure...

- Brian

AatgcBb.jpg

Very nice Tombac. Looks like a nice permission with much potential. GL out there.

If walking in manure is what it takes to get the good stuff, Gary, then that's what I'll do! :)

Seriously, though, we're not actually hunting in manure. The farmer likes what my son and I are finding so much that he actually avoided spreading in the area that we are detecting (which is only maybe 50'x50', near the old well. I use a program called Tect O Trak and enter the GPS coordinates of my better finds - picture below - and they're all clustered together.)
And the farmer claims that he's spreading "compost", which I hope is different than manure...

- Brian

View attachment 1878763
Nice tombac. I've dug dozens of other flatbuttons but only two tombacs so far. What is the app your using to record finds?

Nice tombac. I've dug dozens of other flatbuttons but only two tombacs so far. What is the app your using to record finds?

This is my first tombac with a shank. Sadly my arrangement with the farm owner is that I have to give him whatever I find. His daughter loves these buttons, though, so at least I know it's going to someone who will appreciate it.

The app is called "Tect O Trak". It was a bit tough to figure out how to record finds at first, but then I learned that you have to set up a "Saved Area" initially and then record the finds against that Saved Area. And the little detector coil picture at the bottom is a key "button" to use for various functions. Now that I understand the app I like it.

This is my first tombac with a shank. Sadly my arrangement with the farm owner is that I have to give him whatever I find. His daughter loves these buttons, though, so at least I know it's going to someone who will appreciate it.

The app is called "Tect O Trak". It was a bit tough to figure out how to record finds at first, but then I learned that you have to set up a "Saved Area" initially and then record the finds against that Saved Area. And the little detector coil picture at the bottom is a key "button" to use for various functions. Now that I understand the app I like it.
Cool thanks, It stinks when you have to give up everything but finding it is still fun... I have a colonial permission but it's public land and I'm working with the historical society so I will have to turn most (if not all) of it in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back