Tomback????

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Iโ€™ve never found a tomback button so I have nothing to compare this little buckle to. I was going through some finds from my buddies backyard from a few weeks ago and thought this little buckle was made of something other than brass/copper. I donโ€™t recall what the signal was but pulled out of the ground as you see it. Let me know if you think itโ€™s tomback or something else, the house dates back to the early 1800โ€™s.
Thanks
GL&HH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 11

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You most likely have a late 1800โ€™s brass buckle there. It should ring up like a clad quarter. If it was tombac it would be more like a Nickel signal. Congrats

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Itโ€™s really weird , most brass I dig of that age is green or tan, this came out as you see it, still smooth and shiny. Thanks Pa-dirt

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must be some type of copper alloy, probably brass. Sometimes particular metal composition and soil conditions affect the state in which it comes out of the ground. Some of my sites produce beautiful brass with olive color patina where others give up only corroded one.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congrats! IMHO: It dates in the mid-1800's :occasion14:

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm. In the photo, the area, that does not have corrosion, has sort of a tombac-look, but I don't know. We've dug a lot of tombac buttons in the past 6 months, and I don't think that any of them have had any corrosion. It might just be our soil/water table, but they come out of the ground smooth and kind of shiny.
Not sure what your buckle might be made of. I think they sometimes used alloys that don't necessarily match metals that we use today.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably is brass. I have seen one or two in Pewter, but they just didn't hold up and disintegrated. Brass can come out lots of colors. It's in great shape. Composition of brass varied depending on what they had to work with. I'd say mid 19th century also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm. In the photo, the area, that does not have corrosion, has sort of a tombac-look, but I don't know. We've dug a lot of tombac buttons in the past 6 months, and I don't think that any of them have had any corrosion. It might just be our soil/water table, but they come out of the ground smooth and kind of shiny.
Not sure what your buckle might be made of. I think they sometimes used alloys that don't necessarily match metals that we use today.
Iโ€™m not totally sure it is corrosion, it seems to be plastered on there. I didnโ€™t want to lemon juice it or scrub it and ruin the patina. Thank you for the replies everyone!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it just like it is.

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckle. I get them like that too. I suspect that it is brass, perhaps the alloy is a bit different. Is the soil where you detect very acidic? It is here and I see a big difference if the soil is well drained or wet and swampy

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would leave it just like it is.
Iโ€™m going to leave it as is, the patina is just too nice, it looks much better in person, like most used cars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions