ToneID - Conductive or Ferrous?

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
Hello

Things have thawed abit in my area.. so was able to go out last weekend. Found 11 coins (clad), but was getting a good hang of ID'ing and pinpointing with my new Minelab Explorer SE.

One thing that I'm still having trouble with (coming from XLT world) is understanding the tones for target ID. I have tone id set at conductive and went for all 'high' pitched signals. Unfortunately, dug a lot of pull tabs, where I thought would be dimes or pennies. Don't get me wrong, I like digging pulltabs, but I like digging them up when I'm expecting nickle/pulltab and not when I'm expecting penny/dime.

I'm also using smart find read out and not the digital. A friend of mine suggested to use digital with discrimination and smart find with iron mask.. and to switch to ferrous tone. Anyone have opinions on this?

So, if I understand this correctly, ferrous will sing high on low-ferrous (so everything to the right in smarfind), and conductive will sing high if it's in the top half of the smart find (including the ferrous side)??

My environment will initially be parks and old yards, so trash will present. I have 8" sunray coil and my depth for Indian Heads/Barbers are between 4.5" - 6"

Please let me know if you have any tips!

Thanks!
DB

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
I'm going to answer my own post.

I'm really liking the Ferrous tone. It takes some getting use to.. but it can really help. Along with that, the hardest transition for me is to switch to All Metal (Iron Mask : AM). But with Ferrous tones running in AM is great for picking coins in the trashy areas. Then you combine that with a 8" SunRay coil.. it's great!

DB

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?10 go here and thank me later.The drawback with hunting in ferrous is that bottlecaps and some pulltabs sound kind of coiny. If you hunt in smarfind you can easily determine that they are not coins. A nickel will fall near the middle with the cursor just resting on the bottom of the screen,if its a little below the screen its a pretty safe bet its a pulltab as well if its a little above the bottom. Gold falls in around a lot of pulltabs but has a very strict set of values that it will fall within,and the numbers dont bounce around very much,pulltabs bounce a lot with ferrous showing then not showing,gold wont show very much ferrous at all. Eventually you use to learn smartfind as well as the numbers depending upon the situation. A lot of the guys who have the minelab down will hunt with ironmask on all the time but very little discrim,like around -16 I think Im at -14 gradually working my way down. Spend some time at the explorer classroom and a lot of time in the field it will all start gelling for you,HH...Shoot

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Correct.. SE's AM is at 32. I'm guessing he's saying something in the range of 30 or 31. I've been running in all metal (IM: 32), and I'm seeing the benefits of 'opening it up'!!!

DB

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m no expert and not trying to sound like one.

What i have found to work for "ME" with the SE:
Beaches>>
AM set bout 25(meaning bout 1/4 inch of the screen on the left is black) will generailly null out any nails or rusted iron
DEEP ON (slows down the target ID just a touch) If i hit a real trashy area i ll switch deep off and fast on to try and diff between all the signals.
SOUND IN CONST(faster processing signal due to one tone, equals out hunting with deep on, this was a lil tip from the movie)
An iffy signal i `ll switch to Digital otherwise i`m in smartfind looking at where the signal falls.
Naturally on the beach if i hear it i dig it, don`t care if its a pop top or what i dig all signals on a beach. These settings a SE hits deep and i mean deep in sand, and thats what i want her to do.

Relics>>>
Am clear screen 32, since i`m looking for any metalic object
clean area deep on , trashy area deep off and fast on
clean area sound in const with deep on, trashy area sound in cond with fast on deep off
screen, smartfind

Again i m NO expert there are other users on here with alot more experience with the SE then me, these are just settings that work good for me.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
shootist said:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?10 go here and thank me later.The drawback with hunting in ferrous is that bottlecaps and some pulltabs sound kind of coiny. If you hunt in smarfind you can easily determine that they are not coins. A nickel will fall near the middle with the cursor just resting on the bottom of the screen,if its a little below the screen its a pretty safe bet its a pulltab as well if its a little above the bottom. Gold falls in around a lot of pulltabs but has a very strict set of values that it will fall within,and the numbers dont bounce around very much,pulltabs bounce a lot with ferrous showing then not showing,gold wont show very much ferrous at all. Eventually you use to learn smartfind as well as the numbers depending upon the situation. A lot of the guys who have the minelab down will hunt with ironmask on all the time but very little discrim,like around -16 I think Im at -14 gradually working my way down. Spend some time at the explorer classroom and a lot of time in the field it will all start gelling for you,HH...Shoot

Thank you for the link. a lot of info there.

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
TheSleeper said:
I`m no expert and not trying to sound like one.

What i have found to work for "ME" with the SE:
Beaches>>
AM set bout 25(meaning bout 1/4 inch of the screen on the left is black) will generailly null out any nails or rusted iron
DEEP ON (slows down the target ID just a touch) If i hit a real trashy area i ll switch deep off and fast on to try and diff between all the signals.
SOUND IN CONST(faster processing signal due to one tone, equals out hunting with deep on, this was a lil tip from the movie)
An iffy signal i `ll switch to Digital otherwise i`m in smartfind looking at where the signal falls.
Naturally on the beach if i hear it i dig it, don`t care if its a pop top or what i dig all signals on a beach. These settings a SE hits deep and i mean deep in sand, and thats what i want her to do.

Relics>>>
Am clear screen 32, since i`m looking for any metalic object
clean area deep on , trashy area deep off and fast on
clean area sound in const with deep on, trashy area sound in cond with fast on deep off
screen, smartfind

Again i m NO expert there are other users on here with alot more experience with the SE then me, these are just settings that work good for me.

Took Sleepers advice and change to his setting. Great finds! My eyes were closed but are now open!! ::)

Great posts, thanks all.

Ronin HH

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
I use a Sovereign GT, What probe and Meter is best.

I know it doesn't have a meter on it so I think probably the Sovereign digital is the best one for me.

I want to use it on th e beach. Should I set it at the set and go settings first and when I learn it better then start using the other settings?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions