Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems as if over the past month, my luck has finally picked up. A couple weeks ago I found a promising site, which produced 6 buttons, a shoe buckle part, and an 1803 Large Cent within the first hour that I was there. The next time I went there I found some more colonial buttons, a toasted copper, and a beautiful Barber Dime in AU condition. A day later I found another site, right across the street from that one, and ended up finding a good number of colonial buttons, and a couple shoe buckle parts, all during the first time that I was there. Today, I went out to another site, less than a mile away from the other two that I mentioned. It was a bit of a hike, most of it off trail (and through a swamp, as I later found out, to my disappointment), but the site seemed promising. Like the other two sites I that found over the past few weeks, it doesn't appear on any maps or records of any kind, and was likely to have never been visited by any other metal detectorist. When I finally got there, I noticed that the cellar hole was almost entirely collapsed and filled in. After likely two centuries of erosion, it was only a few feet deep, and all but just a few of the rocks that at one point lined it remained. I was a bit skeptical that this was actually a cellar hole, but the fact that it was clearly "L shaped" made me believe that it only could have been dug by man. Within a few minutes of turning on my metal detector, I got a rather nice signal, right next to the cellar hole. It ended up being a beautiful pewter shoe buckle frame, with the iron chape and tongue still present (though extremely corroded). I then moved away from the cellar hole, and found another shoe buckle part, a nice brass chape and tongue. I also found a nice dandy button in that area, and then decided to move back towards the cellar hole. There, along the edge of the cellar hole, I found two pewter rat tail spoons, both together in the same hole. In that area I also found what looks like 2/3 of a complete shoe buckle, that somehow broke in a rather unusual manner. There, I also found a child's thimble, a 1700's pewter blowhole button, and a long rectangular shoe buckle frame. I then started to move away from the cellar hole again, and quickly found a small corroded pewter button, and shortly after, a slightly concave brass flat button. On a hill side, on the other side of the cellar hole, I found a cracked tombac button with an intact iron shank, and then found another shoe buckle part, this time a brass chape. I decided at this point that it would be wise to start leaving before it would start to rain, remembering the extremely long walk that I would have to take to get back to my car. Right as I was leaving though, I tried metal detecting right next to the cellar hole again, and there, less than an inch deep, was a fragment from a brass shoe buckle frame. Based on the finds that I recovered today, I would guess that this site was abandoned probably sometime before around 1790 or so. Overall, I had a pretty exciting hunt at this new site, and can't wait to go back and see if I can find some more shoe buckle parts. I also found another site near by with a comparable history, I hope to eventually try that one too. Good luck this fall everyone, there is no better time to metal detect than when the leaves start to fall, and the bugs and weather start to get much easier to bear.

DSC_0298.JPG DSC_0301.JPG

Upvote 11

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for the very informative post--since I wouldn't know a shoe buckle if it fell on my head, it was interesting to learn a bit more about them. Glad too, that your finds helped you date the site. We so often think of sites as being continuously occupied, with the newer relics piling on top of each other. However, I imagine there are a lot of sites like this one, that were occupied for a time, and then abandoned when the family moved on. That makes it more like a time capsule.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and great finds! Thanks for sharing! :headbang:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and great story! That is pretty amazing that you found an intact pewter spoon! I believe the rat tail style could even go back to the 1600's. With all those shoe buckle parts there has to be a complete buckle hiding somewhere there! If you could find the trash pit you would probably do really well! Best of luck thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt and great story! That is pretty amazing that you found an intact pewter spoon! I believe the rat tail style could even go back to the 1600's. With all those shoe buckle parts there has to be a complete buckle hiding somewhere there! If you could find the trash pit you would probably do really well! Best of luck thanks for sharing!

Thanks! The rat tail spoon really surprised me, most of them are always destroyed. I love the fact that it has a drilled hole in the handle, probably for hanging up somewhere. In the past I found a two piece mold, used to cast rat tail spoons, but still haven't been lucky enough to find a complete spoon until now.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice going on the 'sweet spot'. Glad you got in there and did so well saving so much history. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread