What's new

Too early in season to MD New england beaches?

Richper413

Greenie
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi everyone! I was thinking about taking a trip to Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester, MA tomorrow but being new to MDing, idk if its a good idea or not. There were some recent storms out this way but there hasn't been any major traffic on that beach since September. Any info about this decision to head out tomorrow would be very appreciated!

Thank You!
 
Upvote 0
Richper413 said:
First off I gotta thank everyone for the replies! Lots of useful info!! I'm going to try to get out to the beach asap! I was at Plum Island on Sunday and between the celestial tide and the major storm that we just had, 6-10 ft waves were breaking on shore! I've NEVER seen waves like that in New England, it was amazing. Not so amazing for the beach front properties that were having their front yard torn up fences and walkways were all floating away. There was massive erosion from the storm. Too bad it's illegal to detect on that beach! would have been a prime time to check it out. I'll try to post some pics soon of the waves / damage. some places had 10ft cliffs where there used to be a 50 yard slope.

It's illegal to detect the beach on Plum Island? Haven't been there in years and assumed the Wildlife Refuge was illegal to detect but didn;t know the main beach area on the rest of the island was as well...Newpburyport have an ordinance against it? :help: And if anyone goes in the water there, be careful....there are bad rip tides all along that beach.
 
I kinda just assumed the beach was included.... Maybe its not and i was just playing it too safe =( Heres one of the photos, you can see all down the coast there are cliffs where there used to be sand
 

Attachments

  • Copy of IMG00225-20110417-1232.webp
    Copy of IMG00225-20110417-1232.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 210
Wow...the storm blasted the island!!! As far as I know you can detect the beach there jsut as long as you don;t go into the wildlife pereserve. To be safe stay on the NE end of the island up by the river and jetties and know where the boundary line is for the refuge as you head SW. You can also check with the Newburyport P.D. to see if detecting is allowed on the beaches there. However as far as I know it is allowed, the one issue may be access ,for alot of the roads are private and you can;t park there, but if you park down the end of the island by the lighthouse on the river I believe there is still public parking there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom