Took the Deus to Memphis and started a Silver Streak!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove 1100 miles to Memphis the other day to pick up my daughter for spring break and managed to get three hunts in before having to drive back to Colorado. Drove 15 hours straight through starting at 7pm and met Tabman (Gerald) at one of his productive house sites at about noontime....after sitting for all that time I needed to get some exercise and work out some of the soreness - nothing like digging out old coins to forget about how tired I might have been!

About 15 minutes into the hunt I pulled a Wheat, then three more in a square foot area - I was using my 4kHZ program with full tones...Wheats will register from 62-72 in this program, and after digging a few coins I remembered what they sounded like by audio without glancing at the screen. Tabman got a good suspect signal that indicated 76-77 in 4kHz, and shortly thereafter he pulls his first silver of the day, a nice 1963 Rosie. He goes on to find three more silvers....he definitely has a nose for it!

I remember getting a solid 63 while still in 4kHz and almost passed it up - but this one was a small sterling ring with a nice aquamarine stone!!! This got me excited, and not 5 feet away the Deus sounded off loudly and locked on at 76. I had a good feeling it was silver before even looking at the VDI...I got on the board at last with a 1954 Rosie! I felt better, at least I had a fighting chance against the "Silver Hound" who was doing well with the F75 :laughing7:

We took a break after a while, and then hit another house just a couple blocks away built in the mid 1950s...first signal I hit was a nice 76-77 and was so shallow I initially thought it was two silver dimes side-by-side! At less than an inch, I pulled a 1964 Rosie. This woke me up a bit - and went on at that house to find 10 or 11 Wheats, knowing that just around the corner there was more silver. Finally, the fatigue set in and we both had to call it quits...but the story doesn't end there!

Drove up to my parent's house and after some real food, I got a second wind and convinced my dad and uncle to visit a site that dad had pulled a few Wheats from, an abandoned house in a near-ghost town outside of Memphis. We only had about an hour of light to hunt....when I opened the car door when we arrived I noticed a war nickel just chillin' on top of the ground washed up by the recent heavy rains! I had to rub that one in good :laughing9:

Dad had his AT Pro and scored a older Wheat almost right off the bat, and I finally got a desperate signal that turned out to be a deeper 1918 Wheat at maybe 5-6" down. I was using 4kHz Reactivity 3 for this place, and it didn't fail to impress! Not long after I got a signal that sounded like a zinc cent, but was very surprised to pull a crusty 1890 Indian cent from only 3" down! We will have to revisit this place for sure!

The last hunt in the Memphis area was yesterday afternoon at a razed homesite dating from the early 1950s - I only wanted to hunt for a few minutes before getting on the long road back to Colorado. First signal blew my socks off...a 1951 Quarter! It was only 2 inches deep in an area where both of us have found multiple silvers - not sure how both of us missed that one - there are other iffy signals there that I didn't have time to dig - but next weekend I will have the chance again!

Probably won't get any hunting in until this coming weekend - but this 9" coil is really getting the job done. I've hunted now with all three Deus coils - starting with the 11x13. I feel more confident walking into difficult areas with this smaller coil - and it's only just begun!

SAM_2446.JPG SAM_2453.JPG SAM_2451.JPG SAM_2450.JPG

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That was a good trip! I might have to sneak up to Memphis and visit Tabman one weekend. (wink wink Tabman :laughing7: )

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz! That was a good trip! I might have to sneak up to Memphis and visit Tabman one weekend. (wink wink Tabman :laughing7: )

Let me know when so I can line up some places to detect. I wore it out again today.

tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going Taylor! I never met anyone who loved to detect as much as you do.

tabman

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was worth the trip.
Get some rest though, you gotta be beat

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman has some great places to hunt, I bet you could have showed up with an El Cheapo detector and scored silver since most targets were 6" or shallower. Congrats on your silvers and wheats. Hope you took him out to lunch or happy hour.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time CZ. I would love to hunt with the silver king some day (hint, hint t-man). But am content to be plucking out lead three-ringers and CW buttons this week on a central VA farm. The deus is doing great in soil that destroys most vlf machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread