What's new

Tool for working logs in building cabins, etc. ?????

DeepseekerADS

Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
15,094
Reaction score
21,756
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I was just messing around in the forest behind my house and I stumbled into this tool......

The tool appears to be related to wood working, and if I were to guess, I'd say it dates to the early 1700's - that that's just a guess based on what I know of my family history here.

IMG_1495.webp

IMG_1492.webp

IMG_1507.webp
 

Attachments

  • BBUpSNg.img.webp
    BBUpSNg.img.webp
    108.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Traditional woodworker here. It's called a "spoon bit". It would have a wooden "T" handle and be used to bore holes for pegging timber frames or log joints. A gouge would have a different tang to attach to a straight handle. These were hand made by blacksmiths. This is a really
cool find.
 
Here I've been swinging detectors for over 40 years, and then I retire and move home....

And now I keep finding the most interesting finds in the forest around my house. This kinda makes retirement the greatest period of my life! Certainly more delightful than the quest for a single silver dime. Got lot's of them, but didn't have relics from my family's history. I've only swung a detector a couple times here - my folks didn't have money to lose - but sure left behind some history :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom