Tool found in Gloucestershire. Any ideas?

adammmam

Mar 15, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_9050.jpeg
    IMG_9050.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9052.jpeg
    IMG_9052.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9051.jpeg
    IMG_9051.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 6

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was dug up on some farmland in Gloucestershire
It was dug? With the wood handle intact like that? Either it was just recently buried, or you have some amazing ground.

In either case, the Holtzapffel tool company operated in London between 1794 and 1928, so it's a nice old piece. I don't know what it's worth, but it's sure a nice looking specimen. Nice find!

OP
OP
A

adammmam

Mar 15, 2024
It was dug? With the wood handle intact like that? Either it was just recently buried, or you have some amazing ground.

In either case, the Holtzapffel tool company operated in London between 1794 and 1928, so it's a nice old piece. I don't know what it's worth, but it's sure a nice looking specimen. Nice find!
My thoughts exactly in regards the handle. That’s the dates I found, does seem an interesting piece indeed. Thanks for responding

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can anybody shed any light on this? Was dug up on some farmland in Gloucestershire. I’ve done a bit of research and from the markings I have an idea on the dates.
Does anybody have any knowledge of this type of thing and if it would be worth/of interest to somebody?

Many thanks
Can you give a reference for a measurement please.
Is it 4" long or 4' long?
It always helps with trying to put a date/use to an item thanks.

OP
OP
A

adammmam

Mar 15, 2024
Thanks for your message, I am not with it right now, I would say it is around 1.5m long. I can confirm later on. I may be completely wrong.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Known as a fascine knife...for chopping brush and clearing.
Popular farm tool.in colonial days
Heres one I dug years ago
This knife if known as a BillHook also.

The tool has developed a large variety of names in different parts of Britain, including bill, hedging bill, hand bill, hook bill, billhook, billook, brushing hook and broom hook. In American English a billhook may sometimes be called a "fascine knife".

The French firm of Talabot boasted in their 1930 catalogue that they held over 3000 different patterns in their archives.

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 7.39.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 7.41.23 AM.png

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’ve never seen one with such a long handle. Broom makers used a shorter version to cut straw. Pepperj shows there were many uses. Very lucky to find the handle so well-preserved.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your message, I am not with it right now, I would say it is around 1.5m long. I can confirm later on. I may be completely wrong.
That would make it nearly 5 feet in length.
When you get a chance measure the blade/handle/total length and width.

I couldn't find an example of anything as this one, it an interesting tool.
The company did make Kukri knives, so everything wasn't for the local market

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Nice find. Since the mark is “Holtzapffel & Co.” You can date it between 1825 and 1938. Before 1825, the company was known as Holtzapffel and Deyerlein. They ceased trading in 1938.

Unfortunately there are no illustrations, but this is from their 1844 catalogue (with prices ranging from 5 shillings to 12 shillngs):

Bill Hooks.jpg

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Known as a fascine knife...for chopping brush and clearing.
Popular farm tool.in colonial days
Heres one I dug years ago

This knife if known as a BillHook also.

The tool has developed a large variety of names in different parts of Britain, including bill, hedging bill, hand bill, hook bill, billhook, billook, brushing hook and broom hook. In American English a billhook may sometimes be called a "fascine knife".

The French firm of Talabot boasted in their 1930 catalogue that they held over 3000 different patterns in their archives.

View attachment 2137257 View attachment 2137258
While some would call the item he found a "fascine knife or a billhook" but both of those have short handles, but it having a long handle and here in America it's what I and everyone I know have always called a "bush axe".
21cKWcyC00L._AC_.jpg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody shed any light on this? Was dug up on some farmland in Gloucestershire. I’ve done a bit of research and from the markings I have an idea on the dates.
Does anybody have any knowledge of this type of thing and if it would be worth/of interest to somebody?

Many thanks
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread