What's new

Tooth/Claw from the deep blue sea???

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
This is one of my many finds from my week long vacation in the Bahamas but the only tooth/claw.(the rest will be posted eather tonight or tomorrow when I get them unpacked)
Can someone tell me what animal it is from???
It is about 1 1/4 inches long and about 1/2 an inch top to bottom on the top view where the hole is.
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • tooth1.webp
    tooth1.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 806
  • tooth2.webp
    tooth2.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 783
  • tooth3.webp
    tooth3.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 749
  • tooth4.webp
    tooth4.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 793
  • tooth5.webp
    tooth5.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 811
  • tooth6.webp
    tooth6.webp
    35 KB · Views: 779
almost looks like a tooth from a gray nurse shark broken off at the root.
 
Upvote 0
Possibly a pig tooth. :dontknow:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • pigdom_lat.webp
    pigdom_lat.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,264
Upvote 0
I have removed many pigs teeth, and I dont think its pig. (Your pig skull is missing teeth. :D )
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it came from A dentists nightmare
Sleep well............
Brady
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I have removed many pigs teeth, and I dont think its pig. (Your pig skull is missing teeth. :D )
:laughing7:Me too,and I was going to say the same thing!! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
Possibly a pig tooth. :dontknow:
Broken Knee
OK, maybe a horse look at the ones in the lower left.
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • teeth.webp
    teeth.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,622
Upvote 0
jdsarasin8194 said:
Broken knee said:
Broken knee said:
Possibly a pig tooth. :dontknow:
Broken Knee
OK, maybe a horse look at the ones in the lower left.
Broken Knee
its not curved like those ones :icon_scratch:
well what kind of animal's do they have in the Bahamas then. I don't believe it to be a seal tooth. The flat area with the hole and rings makes it look to be a grazing critter.
BK
 

Attachments

  • seal tooth.webp
    seal tooth.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,246
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I have removed many pigs teeth, and I dont think its pig. (Your pig skull is missing teeth. :D )
Bch, did you have a pig farm or work on one clipping baby pigs teeth. I'm just wondering, you say you removed many if so for what or are you a dentist for pigs :laughing7:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I have removed many pigs teeth, and I dont think its pig. (Your pig skull is missing teeth. :D )
Bch, did you have a pig farm or work on one clipping baby pigs teeth. I'm just wondering, you say you removed many if so for what or are you a dentist for pigs :laughing7:
Broken Knee
Hello Broken Knee. I hope I was not being rude (by disagreeing) because I do not mean to be. Sometimes laughing icons are misunderstood and I was NOT laughing at you, only the missing teeth.

Being that I am a hunter, I have killed many wild pigs, about 50 or so in my lifetime. I also find many skulls in the Everglades. I sometimes save the skulls or remove the tusks. I also work at a hunting check station in the Big Cypress National Preserve where my job duties include weighing, measuring and inspecting hogs that were harvested.. My experience tells me it is not a pig tooth.


I believe kugar also has experience with animal parts and he backs me up on this.


If I were to guess, I would say its not horse either. I dont know what it is. Im leaning toward something that lives in the ocean.
 

Attachments

  • hogsdupuis.webp
    hogsdupuis.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 624
  • hog lower jaw.webp
    hog lower jaw.webp
    71 KB · Views: 776
  • hogsdupuis.webp
    hogsdupuis.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 620
  • hog lower jaw.webp
    hog lower jaw.webp
    71 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
well what kind of animal's do they have in the Bahamas then. I don't believe it to be a seal tooth.
I think seal is a good guess but the Carribean Seal is extinct. The tooth doesnt look old but I dont really know. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Broken knee said:
well what kind of animal's do they have in the Bahamas then. I don't believe it to be a seal tooth.
I think seal is a good guess but the Carribean Seal is extinct. The tooth doesnt look old but I dont really know. :dontknow:
a seal would sound right, plus, there has to be some other type of seals down there right? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
jdsarasin8194 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Broken knee said:
well what kind of animal's do they have in the Bahamas then. I don't believe it to be a seal tooth.
I think seal is a good guess but the Carribean Seal is extinct. The tooth doesnt look old but I dont really know. :dontknow:
a seal would sound right, plus, there has to be some other type of seals down there right? :dontknow:
No, there is no other seal in the Carribean/Gulf of Mexico region. West Indian Seal declared extinct in 1996 and 2008. Last sighting in 1952. Has not been seen in over 50 years. Very sad.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25007277
 

Attachments

  • CarribeanMonkSeal_hmedium.webp
    CarribeanMonkSeal_hmedium.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Monk_Seal

http://www.monachus-guardian.org/factfiles/carib01.htm

Observing Caribbean 'sea wolves' on the coast of Santo Domingo in 1494, Columbus promptly ordered his crew to kill eight of the animals for food, paving the way for exploitation of the species by the European immigrants who came in his wake. The slaughter continued up until the 20th century, with hunters sometimes killing as many as a hundred seals in a night. Caribbean monk seals were also killed by scientists for museum collections, and the last confirmed sighting occurred off Seranilla Bank in 1952
 

Attachments

  • carribean monk seal map01.gif
    carribean monk seal map01.gif
    8 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0
I think pig tooth is a good guess! :thumbsup: ( Pig: Incisor) Broke off at the gum line and some root missing as well!
Take Care!
Pete! :hello:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
The tooth is broken and hard to tell but I do not recall seeing the center hole (last pic) on any of my pig incisor tusks.
Yea give me a few and I know I've got some teeth that are worn like that!Not sure if I've got a incisor or not the tusk are considered canine.
 
Upvote 0
The horizontal lines on the first pic are what gets me. I have never seen that on a wild pig incisor.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom