What's new

Tooth ID help

StephLeigh

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this on the Ashley River in SC. Any ideas on what type tooth it might be? I was initially thinking maybe a broken shark tooth, but it's pretty rounded and thinner at the root. Who knows [emoji16]. I'd love to hear some ideas! Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008922.083667.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008945.580027.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008966.916943.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008986.289214.webp
 
Well I'm pretty sure its not a tooth
 
What do you think it is?
 
Sometimes these are real tough in photos but it does remind me of an armadillo claw core
 
What does the back side of the wide end look like? Does it look like almost a knuckle joint?
 
Where I have been looking 99% of the fossils are black ( guessing that just the sediment ( phosphate beds) so this stood out. I found some itty bitty shark teeth and a bunch of bone bits. Guessing mostly whale, dugong. I honestly don't know the first thing on fossils other than the little I have read and found online. I don't want to be a pain in the ass and post a million "help" discussions. Have you come across many dugong teeth? I think I may have one... Kinda along the line of horse teeth? Grazer teeth? Any way. I appreciate your help Gator Boy! I have seen a lot of your posts, sweet collection [emoji1]
 
I will see if o can get a better pic. It's hard to describe.
 
Sounds awesome post away! You live in a great area for fossil hunting most of the stuff I find is black or dark grey also
 
It's a tough one and has a lot of wear to it still the fibrousness..." not sure if that's a word".. of it makes me think claw core
 
Maybe, my initial guess would be no. It doesn't have a curve to it. It's flared out at the top (root?) not a big deal. I may stay a mystery lol.
 
Any ideas on this, Gator Boy?ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428012066.032568.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428012088.365372.webp
 
Yowza.. Looks like a nice find to me I think that very well may be a mammoth milk tooth
 
YOWZA [emoji2]. That would kick ass! Same beach. I have been trying to find similar teeth online and it just didn't quite match up with the grazers I could find. Can you give me any suggestions for good resources for a beginner? Thanks a bunch!
 
No problem I love this stuff.
You could spend a lot of time filtering through information all over the internet but I think it would probably serve you better to look at the fossil forum and specifically your area
 
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428113066.863982.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428113083.452167.webp
Phosphate rock? Scute?
 
Funky...
At first I thought maybe coral but looking closer I think it might be a piece of fossil sediment.. It was probably full of decomposing biological matter that created gas bubbles.
......... I think... ..
 
Cool. It's got a cool look. Thanks. Good luck fishing [emoji6]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom