Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out detecting with the XP Deus for 5 short hunts at 4 different sites and dug a few keepers. My personal favorites were the Civil War Union Riffleman's Button, the Shako plume holder and the Firebird Tootsie.

2019-05-26 20.14.35.jpg 2019-05-26 20.13.27.jpg 2019-05-26 20.13.17.jpg 2019-05-26 20.14.08.jpg 2019-05-26 20.14.18.jpg 2019-05-26 20.32.35.jpg 2019-05-26 20.13.51.jpg

Upvote 17

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and video. Congrats!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the Riflemen's button! Too bad the plume holder was damaged. Nice digs :icon_thumright:

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to think of those eagle "R" buttons as pre Civil War generally. A few may have been on uniforms used during that war, but those buttons are more pre 1850s, and would be more closely associated with the period of the Mexican American War and that shako plume holder in my opinion. I think that by the time of the Civil War, the "Riflemen" were an obsolete classification, and a standard infantryman with a rifled musket had replaced the riflemen.

It's a nice button, and not the easiest of the series to find. That example is in terrific condition.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to think of those eagle "R" buttons as pre Civil War generally. A few may have been on uniforms used during that war, but those buttons are more pre 1850s, and would be more closely associated with the period of the Mexican American War and that shako plume holder in my opinion. I think that by the time of the Civil War, the "Riflemen" were an obsolete classification, and a standard infantryman with a rifled musket had replaced the riflemen.

It's a nice button, and not the easiest of the series to find. That example is in terrific condition.

Thanks DetectingGodlikeOnOlympus! You are correct and your theory could also tie into another theory that we (a few other detectorists that have hunted this site with me and I) have put together from what we have found at this site. What we have found is mostly confederate stuff (makes sense Fort Boggs was very close by) and very little Union stuff, with the exception of the Eagle R Buttons. Together we have found 15 of the coat sized Eagle R buttons and that only includes the people that I know personally that hunted this site. There were others hunting the site that could have easily found more Eagle R buttons that I don't know about. I personally dug 6 Eagle R buttons. So our theory is that the Confederates were using the Eagle R Buttons for their Riffleman and were probably mounted, since we found SO much horse tack as well. If there was only a way to find out if the Confederates were using the Eagle R Buttons, especially early in war then the theory could be proved?? Just a theory.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is an awesome button, and as stated, possible older yet so the cool factor is way high

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions