Top 5 rare U.S. Coins... worth millions... SO BE CAREFUL digging and rubbing coins...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
top-5-rare-us-coins.jpg

Ever want to "strike it rich" metal detecting ?
It is extremely possible to do so...
BUT...
If you dig with recklessness and haste... and clean in haste on site other than a simple rinse off with water...
it could cost you dearly...
SO...
Be careful when digging and cleaning your next "hit"...
Sloppy digging could cost you millions...
And when you plop that next coin out of the hole... be carful when "wiping" it off...
AND NEVER ... EVER...wipe or handle a gold coin...
Always hold by the edges and rinse with hot water... THATS IT > !
Because you just never know...
When the coin you just found... could end up under a microscope...

#1. Upper left - 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Gold - $7.59 Million
#2. Upper right - 1943 Copper Penny - $60,000 to $200,000
#3. Lower left - The 1913 Liberty Head Nickel - $3.7 Million
#4. Lower right - The 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar - $10 Million
#5. Center - 1870-S Silver Dollar - $1 Million

Last edited:
Extremely possible? My guess is that none of the above mentioned super rare coins have ever been found with a metal detector.

Thanks for the reminder, I've erased the year on one of my first valuable find, a 1792 irish penny. I hope others won't learn as I did. I would hang myself by the dots... if I would've found one of those coins and scratch it. The chances of finding one of those are pretty near zero here in Quebec, but you never know. Moderator, you can erase this post if you dont like the 2nd sentence. Excuse my not too good english and HH.

think I got a couple of those in a drawer somewhere..? gotta love those Coin Star finds :laughing7:

There are coins that are known...
Then there are those that are missing...
They are somewhere...

Some have been melted into scrap...
Backseat cushions and seats of old rusted cars...
In a closet... drawer... box of stamps...
In a jar in the basement... in the attic...
In a lake... a stream... a pond...
In a dirt parking lot now turned apartments... now condemned and being leveled to dirt once again...
In a coinstar return cup... (thanks to BVI)

They ARE out there...
Waiting to be found.

Last edited:
Well..........that is as good a reason as any to keep on lookin,just make sure you only lick it.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Extremely possible? My guess is that none of the above mentioned super rare coins have ever been found with a metal detector.

Your glass is half-empty, brother. All that Archie is saying is that good habits can save the day because you never know until you put a coil over it.

If I ever find any of them, no need to worry that I might rub them. I will be resting on the ground with my eyes closed until someone comes to revive me. But thanks for the info.

I just scratched a quarter something terrible, it was only worth 25 cents anyway , but now I am switching to a plastic had spade, homedepot didn't have any, but there is a hardware store in the next town that does.

Dug a nice 1895-0 dime last year. Of course I knew it was a 95 dime but was a few weeks before I noticed the O. I am always careful when dig and after caring around finds while still on hunt. Not that I didnu't care just didn't have time to look at finds from that hunt better. Two weeks I was driving around with a 500 dollar dime in my cup holder. :BangHead: Agree good to learn the rarer coins. Yes owner took that one once realizing.

Last edited:
I'm just a realist. I dug a 1896s dime Saturday. It's beat and not from my lesche. I dug a 1921d dime on 6-28-14 that was lost in 1921...AU or better. Problem is both coins were found in bad soil. The value is extremely diminished and there are NO scratches from my recovering or rinsing off on either coin.
I'm looking for the rare coins...I'm not looking for a 1913 V nickle in the soil.
Odds of winning the lottery are better than the odds of finding one of the above mentioned rare coins with a metal detector.
Dreams are nice but lets keep it real.

BTW... #2 coin is totally possible in my opinion.

New York Man Finds Rare $20,000 Coin Metal Detecting Open Field ...

Last edited:
Lol.. I wish... I own NONE of those coins...
Found many ah 1943 penny... but not in copper... only steel.

Hey Man! I found my half dime laying on top of the ground 2 inch's from a oak tree in my fiances front yard. It was bent but other wise in good shape. I took a screw driver and a hammer to flatten it out but that was a mistake because I smashed a star on it. I'm using a compare but hope to get one that will change coils. Have a good one!

Nice post ARRC, I believe this is the ying to your yang of a your post from Saturday morning. Keep them coming..:hello2:
On Saturday you posted how we'd never make a living with the detector :crybaby2: and now I can become a millionaire by pulling the right plug. :occasion18:

Your not bi-polar are you :dontknow:

? ? ? ...
And last leg "liked" what you said... heh

This remarkable coin, struck in 1652, was discovered 339 years later in a Long Island potato field. Using a metal detector, Lillian P. Rade of East Hampton, recovered the extremely rare coin, and the story made national news. The incredible discovery was even covered by “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not,” which illustrated the coin and told its remarkable story in a December 11, 1991 feature. Today, rare coin experts believe the coin will sell for a price over $100,000.

Nice post ARRC, I believe this is the ying to your yang of a your post from Saturday morning. Keep them coming..:hello2:
On Saturday you posted how we'd never make a living with the detector :crybaby2: and now I can become a millionaire by pulling the right plug. :occasion18:

Your not bi-polar are you :dontknow:

Well first you know as well as me... it is yin and yang :)
Cant have the good without the bad...

I tell it like this...
You could MD for years and years ... no "hit"... nothing "good"...
And then again you could unpack your brand new detector from the box...
Slap some batteries in it...
walk out in back yard and hit.

BUT for most... walking in the parks... and beaches...
These "hits" of life changing finds are rarer.
but they do happen.
Take the box and cross... found on beach with MD...
Gut worked the same section of beach for years...
I think he sold it for 380,000

OR gary draytons hit... and on and on...
I could sit here all day.
You cannot win if you do not play...

Emerald-Treasure-Ring.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back