What's new

Topside Tank Hookah - check remaining air?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,907
Golden Thread
2
Location
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
have one - best thing to do - is do a test run in like 6-7 feet of water -
time your down time to get an idea of how long your tank will last
I carry a spare air tank (large one)- with about 57 breathes in it
either that or carry a pony tank or place another safety tank on bottom where you are working
 
Why can't you just zip-tie a high pressure hose with a gauge to your low pressure hose?
 
Why can't you just zip-tie a high pressure hose with a gauge to your low pressure hose?

I thought that, and was confused why these kits did not come with that ? Or am I missing something?
 
I have never bought hose, but assume you could buy it it any length with the correct fittings?
 
I was gonna go that route also. Dixie Divers has a nice setup that uses the Brownie system you are looking at and a raft for the tank etc. My dive shop said the only way to check pressure would be to run a second hose down off the high pressure port of the first stage on the surface tank. Timing yourself is another method. Carry one of the small spare air 3 cubic foot bottles. Your breathing will become harder as pressure drops off. Surface periodically to check. Stay shallow.

All this led me to abandon this method and just get a BCD and go full scuba.
 
I was gonna go that route also. Dixie Divers has a nice setup that uses the Brownie system you are looking at and a raft for the tank etc. My dive shop said the only way to check pressure would be to run a second hose down off the high pressure port of the first stage on the surface tank. Timing yourself is another method. Carry one of the small spare air 3 cubic foot bottles. Your breathing will become harder as pressure drops off. Surface periodically to check. Stay shallow.

All this led me to abandon this method and just get a BCD and go full scuba.

I too have gone full SCUBA, but no am more comfortable down below, I thought of looking at this again?
Sometimes, I am wading in from shore, full bcd, tank, fins, MD, scoop etc etc and I think it may be easier to just float it all out to the area to MD?
 
MY TANK hookah rule #1 would be... NEVER dive deeper than I can reach surface in 1 full to half a breath. Essentually you are diving blind and I have never understood how they still sell em like that. It always seemed a risky deal in my opinion.

I am a hookah diver... but I'm gas powered (Brownie Robin 4.5- boat mounted)

never tried a "floater" device. Just tanks and gas
 
Would prefer the gas, but can't dues to noise,
Will look at a separate gauge / line I think?
 
I would think this to be the smart option :)... just make sure you look at it from time to time :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom