Trabunko?

Hello guys,

Can anybody give me a scientific or english name of this item in the attached picture?

It is locally known as "Trabunko" here. THe description of this find is that it is egg shape, its disticnt characteristics is that it shines in the dark wherein you can even read normal sized letter out of its luminous shine as you would note in the picture.

Since my childhood we were thought that this egg shape (ball?) is being played by a big snake and that it brings fortune to the one who will have it.

Any comment or possible identification?

Argee

Attachments

• Trabunko.jpg
    Trabunko.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 920

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it's like this scare me they bring back those A----CORN memories....! dg are you there do you have that catalogue handy?(Im joking) ;)

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to throw a curve ball at this item. In the U.S. an egg shaped stone was used in the Civil War time into the 1940's for the repairing of socks..They were made with and with out a handle. and in several compositions.Also, they were used as nest fillers to get hens to lay eggs,this I was told by some of the older folks in the country. Weather they were pulling my leg or not, I don't know.I'm a city boy. I do have two examples of the egg. one with and with out a handle...

DG
;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
I'm going to throw a curve ball at this item. In the U.S. an egg shaped stone was used in the Civil War time into the 1940's for the repairing of socks..They were made with and with out a handle. and in several compositions.Also, they wer used as nest fillers to get hens to lay eggs,this I was told by some of the older folks in the country. Weather they were pulling my leg or not, I dont know.I'm a city boy. I do have two examples of the egg. one with and with out a handle...

DG
;D
http://www.raveworx.com/Oggz-Color-Morphing-Eggs-pr-302.html?gclid=CPfZitqerYYCFTxXFQodNE4R7

Attachments

• Oggz-Glowing-Eggs-i-01120-lg-a.gif
    Oggz-Glowing-Eggs-i-01120-lg-a.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Oggz-Glowing-Eggs-i-01119-lg-hand.jpg
    Oggz-Glowing-Eggs-i-01119-lg-hand.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 150px-Darning_egg.jpg
    150px-Darning_egg.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,200
Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted Michelle, I was looking at it from a different angle. They were also popular decorations at a season that is called Easter too. And make popular table decorations. And are great in patato salad! ::) ::) ::) ::) :D ;)

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are we in an egg throwing contest? Oh they also put stone eggs in chicken coops to kill snakes..they swallowed them and expired...Thats another country story. AND it just occured to me thats what he may be asking????????? I also know there are plenty of magic eggs out there..My troll was hatched from one! ::)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
What are we in an egg throwing contest? Oh they also put stone eggs in chicken coops to kill snakes..they swallowed them and expired...Thats another country story. AND it just occured to me thats what he may be asking????????? I also know there are plenty of magic eggs out there..My troll was hatched from one! ::)
http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/crystals/eggs/manganegg.htm ( Im done now) :D :D 8) alabaster

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I wish I could post a pic of this thing but I cant from here (work). It looks exactly like the one in the original post, not perfect in shape, finish is very smooth but not polished and it's a little smaller then the average chicken egg. I'll try and find a way to get a pic up.

kenb

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
One of my younger cousins has just explained to me that the egg shaped stone is his. He bought at "Einsteins Attic" for a few bucks because it "looked cool". Its just a rock.

kenb

Upvote 0

s14

Aug 3, 2010
It's called 'Carbuncle' in English and features a lot in mythology.

It's usually depicted as a ruby or sapphire that emits light and comes from a mountain or a dragon or somesuch, heck it's even in Pokemon.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

“Trabungko” stones are an urban myth from the Philippines, with a back-story that has multiple vaariations but usually along the lines of this. A giant ‘magkal’ (a boa-constrictor like snake with a girth twice the size of a large tree trunk) lives in a mountainous region called the ‘malatan-og’. The snake is the guardian of a magnificent gem about the size of a man’s fist known as the ‘trabungko’ which it carries on its head, and gives it immortality. Whoever manages to get the gem will have eternal life as well as enormous powers but it has to be stolen at night when the snake is asleep and on a moonless night because the tree under which it sleeps casts a poisonous shadow.

The shiny egg-shaped stones peddled as trabungkos are mostly imported from China and may be actual stones of a non-precious nature or made from various synthetics often made to resemble moonstone.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread