Trade token web sites?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't expect to find much detailed information on specific tokens on web sites - the numismatics of trade tokens (and even of the earlier Civil War, Hard Times, and other tokens) has not yet developed to that point. Books have been written cataloguing the trade tokens known from perhaps 35 of the 50 states, and others are in the process of being written. But, even with these books, most of them do not yield much history. The majority of token books only give a description of known tokens. Some add a "rarity" indication. A few give some idea of a date when the token was in use. That's about all the history you get.

The various token collector groups often have publications for their members. In these are where you can find the detailed histories, but that is because some member put forth the effort to research some business that used tokens and write an article for others to enjoy. These articles, unfortunately, are seldom indexed (the Token and Medal Society is the only group that publishes a paper index) and in total provide information on less than 1% of the known tokens.

My goal for a catalog of trade tokens from my state is to provide at least a "thumbnail sketch" of every individual who ran a business that used tokens, in addition to the description of all varieties of tokens used. I have been at this for 40 years and the end is not yet in sight. The problem is that many of these people did not leave very good tracks! Some businesses that used tokens were on the shady side of the law - the tokens may have been used for illegal activities - so the owner avoided census takers, directory canvassers, and generally kept a low profile. Even the generally upstanding general merchandise businesses that used tokens often were short-lived, being put out of business by competition or depression.

And, finally, there is a reluctance to pay for putting information such as this on the web when researchers have at least a hope of recouping some of their expenses by publishing a book. So, the bottom line answer to your question is "no". but, if you are wanting to move the process forward, contact the fellow who is currently researching for a book on MO trade tokens. Make sure he has the information on your finds, and he will include them in his book with whatever research he has on them. (I can provide his e-mail via PM)

John in ID

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
I'm a web designer/developer and have been interested in building some kind of community web site for a while focusing on coins/tokens. Before putting too much thought into this though, how many people would be interested in a site focusing specifically on tokens, designed similar to wikipedia, where people can contribute historical info, scans, value info, etc. to build a massive 'library'?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Idahotokens: I posted a pic of that one token I found (tobacco token thread) it's supposed to be somewhat rare (R8) if you ever want to use a picture of it let me know- I found good information on it pretty quick with some of PBK's information on sites to check out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread