Trading off some CRH finds today!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds pretty good, you'd only get 90-93% melt at best usually anyways and taxes like you said, sounds decent to me.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Two of my favorite things- Guns and Silver-

IN both hobbies people are obsessed with getting the best deal(I am too). Can you find that gun cheaper than 500? YES- I have seen it on the web for around 450 or lower. Can you get that gun for more? YES- In my area the cheapest glock is about 595, with that one running more like upper 600s.

Now onto the silver- That amount of silver can be sold on providentmetals for about 583. You could sell it there, and get the shipping covered and get more than 500 for it... however, you have the potential tax problems(i am not sure how provident deals with tax forms) and the hassle of shipping...

All in all I'd say this. That is a good gun, at a fair price(somewhere in the middle of what I have seen). Your last great box of coins yielded 200+ keepers. Would you have been excited if you opened that box and found- a glock 24 but the box was shorted 64 dollars and still found 80+ silvers on top of that? I sure would be and I am sure anyone would be-

We get caught up in finding the best deals out there, but at the end of the day, if you are happy with it, that is all that matters-

I personally would make that trade any day in my area-
N8

I know this goes against my rambling above, but remember, the guy selling you that gun is selling at a retail price. Why should he get to sell at retail and you not get full spot price for your silver? Something to bring up to him. If you are really striving for the best deal possible I think there is still room to play hardball with the guy- He probably paid less than 400 for the gun- and your silver is worth close to 600...If you play hardball, the worse thing he can say is NO-

Last edited:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is evading taxes not avoidance, but the risk is minimal. You could have taken a bunch of those 40%ers to the gentlemans club and make it rain like no one hase ever done before!!! HH

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are nice to have in bad times, and both will retain the value.
With one, you can forcefully obtain other things of value during hard times.
One attracts thieves, the other deters thieves.
One is fun to play with in your boxers on a Sunday afternoon watching NFL, oh wait that's both.

It's a win/win whatever direction you decide...but it's always nice to feel secure. Both give you security.

Will be a nice addition to your other piece. :thumb_up:

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, an afterthought, with that huge box you scored last week...BASICALLY A FREE GUN!!

My personal opinion on guns vs silver...guns will retain value...silver will become more valuable in the next 10 years. Who knows in the next 20 years...guns might skyrocket in value. You just never know, theres always a new twist in the history books. 2020 could be known as THE FIREARMS AGE...

Last edited:

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
You can get more silver with a smile and a gun than with a smile alone !!

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
40%s are not taxable the last time I looked. Taxes can be avoided if you look around before selling. A Gun is always a good investment. Good Luck!

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it's official...I traded off..and now have a new daily carry.
glock.JPG
Sexy ehh?

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd also like to state that I'm not really "avoiding" taxes...because there is no cash gain....but still...just don't have to fuss with it!

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Very nice. I'm not into Glocks, the no hammer thing just turns me off. Sweet looking and reliable though. Congrats!

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. I'm not into Glocks, the no hammer thing just turns me off. Sweet looking and reliable though. Congrats!
My 45 has the hammer
4.JPG ...I like it too! This is one easier to carry anyway.. lol. I haven't had a chance to shoot this one yet...but i have shot a glock .40 cal before, and they shoot great!
but thank you!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also like to state that I'm not really "avoiding" taxes...because there is no cash gain....but still...just don't have to fuss with it!

You are not avoiding any taxes. You did not turn those 40% gems in for silver, you spent $64.00 to purchase a Glock and that is the bottom line. The government could care less that
you paid for the weapon with 40% silver half dollars, what they do care about is that the half dollars are not "fake" and are real currency, that is all the government cares about.

As a side note, I got a Glock 22 4th generation .40 and it drives tacks at 35 feet. Great choice to spend $64.00 dollars on!

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other

You are not avoiding any taxes. You did not turn those 40% gems in for silver, you spent $64.00 to purchase a Glock and that is the bottom line. The government could care less that
you paid for the weapon with 40% silver half dollars, what they do care about is that the half dollars are not "fake" and are real currency, that is all the government cares about.

As a side note, I got a Glock 22 4th generation .40 and it drives tacks at 35 feet. Great choice to spend $64.00 dollars on!

+10
I'm not sure what generation mine is? I probably should =/
But i'm sure it will do fine....it is a glock after all.. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread