Trasure... South Atlantic Island 700 mile East of Brazil "Trindade Island" ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trasure... South Atlantic Island 700 mile East of Brazil "Trindade Island" ?

The Saint Paul globe. (St. Paul, Minn.), 14 Dec. 1902.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=11

000ddd.jpg

000eee.jpg

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Enter Meghan Meghan 3.jpeg and Treasure Quest - Snake Island. They fell off the radar. At the end they found some historical items and were granted an extension, but nothing more was released.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Hoping for another season.

I almost Re watched the Last season on OnDemand last week,
But only got as Far as to see if it was available.
then I realized I need New stuff

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The show wasn't to bad. But there were times when we would discuss something here on Treasure Net and low and behold, they would find the object being discussed within a few weeks. At least they, ( Meghan ), did find actual treasure and because of that, the expedition was given an extension. I keep searching, but have yet to find any info on the follow up.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on page 143 of Knights book "the cruise of the ALERTE" (1904) and its a strange account...they are so well provisioned and are doing this more like a lark...he spent big bucks for the ship and supplies they dug one more than one island...very interesting read.

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show wasn't to bad. But there were times when we would discuss something here on Treasure Net and low and behold, they would find the object being discussed within a few weeks. At least they, ( Meghan ), did find actual treasure and because of that, the expedition was given an extension. I keep searching, but have yet to find any info on the follow up.

I still don’t get why they did not keep dredging after finding 1 coin.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So, revolutionaries in Peru rob some churches, hijack a ship and sail to the other side of South America. They then bury the goodies, sail on to Europe (presumably Spain) announce the revolution is over and disband. Great plan! I wonder how they were planning to live in Europe?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was another favorite story of mine. Sadly nothing is what it seems. I could elaborate more with documents? However I am bounded by confidentiality in good faith in respect of other researchers researching the story.

However the original story was rather different to the later exaggerated newspaper versions. The original version had no connection to the war in Peru.The treasure was gathered from several years of piracy in the Atlantic between 1818 and 1830. The source of the pirate treasure story was via a young Englishman who met an old pirate in 1879-1880 living in wilds of Brazil.

E F Knight first heard of story during his voyage of the Falcon and he heard of earlier expeditions in search of this alleged treasure. But he never knew the full story and added the "Peru story" as a means to end to get backers for his "Alerte" expedition. Later Newspapers adopt the BS and incorporated it into the story.

Its one problems with such stories the facts become polluted by assumptions over time that later become believed to be facts.

Kanacki

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It‘s a tropical Island = There must be buried pirate treasure!

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Samanthy

Trindade Island is far from being a tropical island. It is mostly barren and water less. It can be a very unforgiving place.

trinidade island.JPG

Sadly pirates do not always chose salubrious places as company.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a bit more background information. During the Napoleonic wars thousands of sailors was drafted or press ganged into naval service of England. Even some Americans was shanghaied into service. A later one of the contributing factors of the 1812 war. After those conflicts as the British and American navies contracted. Many sailors become essential unemployed. And what job in the maritime industry of days wages were very poor and conditions for the everyday sailor was atrocious. It was easy breeding ground for what was to come. With the stirrings of independence inspired by the American war of independence South America and central America rose up against the Spanish vice Royalty. And started countries themselves. they in turn issued letters of Marque. And official licence to a act as privateer for the small independent countries fighting the Spanish. Well for many thousands of sailors with little options either in the whaling industry or working on slavers. this seemed a better option to work on privateer.

In the early years from about 1814 -1822 these privateers infested the Atlantic and Caribbean attacking Spanish commerce. But as Spanish shipping became scarce many of these privateers started by the 1820's on wards as the need for privateers evaporated privateers began to stray into out right piracy attacking vessels of all nations which spiraled out of control. To the point Britain and United states especial began to see the actions of these privateers turned pirates as threat to world trade got together and hunted the pirates down in gulf of mexico and coast of Cuba, as well as other places in the Caribbean. Many of these privateers either killed in battle, jailed or executed for piracy. Some fled further a field into the south Atlantic.Where many pirates falling in to work as slavers shipping slaves to Brazil and sugar plantains in the Caribbean.

However men that have already tasted piracy for some old habits died hard. And some of these slavers used the excuse of being slaver to mask the fact they could as necessity dictated stray into piracy when the need arose. By the 1830 piracy was still a problem in the South Atlantic while the Caribbean rates of acts of piracy was plummeting because of anti piracy patrols by the British and United States navy. However in the South Atlantic piracy persisted almost to the 1840's.

These privateers than evolved into pirates was from all nations including British, American, Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian and even freed slaves from Africa. By the end of the decade of the 1820's most of these privateers that become pirates have moved into the slave trade. As political pressures of the day to regulate and stamp out slaving. The slavers strayed between the African coast and Brazilian coast into capturing east Indian man vessel predominantly involved in the east India trade. either trade in India itself or China and Asia. The vessels never carried the great treasure like the Spanish galleons of old. But carried substantial amount of trade money as well as silks spices and valuable trade goods from the orient. During the period of 1826 -1838 several vessels disappeared. While some most likely came to grief due to accident. Some was indeed attacked and looted by privates masking as slavers off the African coast.

And indeed it was not beyond the realms of impossibility the Trinidade a barren water less island off the coast of Brazil made an ideal place for pirates to hide contraband until they was able to find a market to dispose of their stolen goods. In regards to some of the identities of persons involved in this illicit trade. Many names will never be known. However some names was traced.

While some academics mock the concept that there is no such thing as buried treasure by pirates. I beg to differ on several key points.

Critics always point to Robert Louie Stevenson born 13 November 1850 – 3 December 1894. as the creator of the perception of buried pirate treasure? Yet the fact remains the British Navy searched for buried treasure on remote island in 1830s called the Savages 2 decades be RLS was even born. So it is a fallacy that RSL created the concept of buried pirate treasure. And that the concept of buried pirate is myth. The fact of the matter there was searches for hidden treasures by pirate long before the concept of fictional books like treasure island. Yet today I guarantee you academics are still blindly plugging that same fallacy.

The alleged treasure was placed in two catches on the island of Trindade. It was accumulation of many years of opportunistic piracy. In which pirates fluctuated between slavery and odd stray into piracy. One thing that helped protect pirates from a hangman's noose is no being caught with good in possession. Many slavers was captured suspected of piracy but there was no proof. The undoing of these cutthroats was they had shifting loyalties among themselves and many was captured killed or died of illness.
The old pirate who relayed this information was originally an Englishman who was in the British Navy got into trouble in Bermuda who deserted and fled to Bermuda and then got mixed up with pirates along the Florida coast and Cuba. Eventually traipsing across the Caribbean until it got too hot by British and America navies made his way into south Atlantic until he was captured by the British navy where an officer recognized him. The case of piracy against him fell apart. But with no proof they had to let him go. They returned him as well as other Brazilian slavers to the coast of Brazil. Where the old pirate lived the rest of his days as hermit on the Parana river in Brazil.

However there are many aspects of this man's alleged life that is unclear and there is a danger of some aspects of his life being more assumptions that fact. The story of his alleged treasure buried on Trindade is fascinating to say the least.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Simon

Sadly for me and the trio who prefer to search for the facts not the Fantasy. Yet for purists like me seeing these Snake island bullshit and later Sacambaya farce. The producer has no shame just shameless exploration of the facts to create a fantasy that is not real. For many it is entertainment. For purists like me seeing fact so ruthlessly distorted so badly its to criminal exploitation of history. ( both series was fraud ) Anyway you can see the truth below....

To me I agree with what graham cork said. he was there and presenting story as real as documentary is in my book fraud. These treasure hunting shows need their ass kicked. Discovery and History channel CEO made 42 million by selling fraudulent documentaries presented as educational documentaries. Is fraud. The great irony they never need the BS they could of told story as it was...the facts known.

Kanacki

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Like to see the actual Trinidade Island 'treasure map' spoken of in the stories?

fake map.png

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Freeman

The problem I have with is no real Provence with the map. I am not trusting of claims the map was found in 1852 and allegedly found in India. We trawled through records in India and London shipping records of crew lists. Death records plus newspaper obituaries. And records going back to between 1848 and 1852's where is was compulsory to record deaths of crew members. Nothing..... So the map may not be as old as many claimed. The map versions as far as I am aware appeared in the Brazilian papers in the late 1940's

The alleged original document written by the alleged pirate "Zulmiro" giving the details of the treasure and location below.

The treasure is hidden in an island called Trindade 647 miles off the coast of Brazil, in two distinct places: in the former there is gold in powder, in bars, in coins of several countries, as well as precious stones of great value. The value of this deposit can be estimated at 5 million pounds. The other deposit, although larger, is not so valuable and consists of artistic works in gold and silver, as well as 63 bars of massive silver, with dimensions of 6x2x4 inches, the result of many years of piracy. The richest deposit is near the waterfall. On the left side of this, 3 feet from the large stone, the second stone is at an angle of 32 to the southwest, there is a closed cavity, but it can be easily opened, in which are 19 volumes of great value and different sizes.

Another deposit is in the south bay, on the eastern end of the island to the north side of the sugar loaf, under the central stone of the five existing there. The waterfall is situated on the south side of the island, about 2.5 from the West end within walking distance of the beach. It is easy to find because it is below a depression in the mountain range that forms the bottom of the landscape, facing the best place to merge on the south side, despite being exposed to all the winds that blow from there. In the bay of the extreme south, a schooner finds an anchorage, even near the beach, at any time, with little work and some skill, to run aground its boats. There is a canal near the sugar loaf, which is distinguished from a rocky culmination that passes between this and 2 islands of stones on the side of the sugar loaf. There are 5 large stones marking the treasure that are above the entrance of the cave, which is 5 degrees and 30 minutes northwest of the sugar loaf. When sighting the island of the South a depression in the mountain chain easily attracts the attention and, in the mouth of the stream, a boat can be safely run aground.

The 19 volumes consist of: 11 barrels filled with coins, 2 large open boxes containing 81 small gold bars, 1 watch case full of jewels, 12 sealed leaden bags containing precious stones, 1 tea box full of disassembled jewelry and 2 boxes of leaves full of gold dust. As for the other deposit the hiding place is situated inside the grotto, and consists of 3 large rooms cut in the hard ground and crossing the grotto; to the course of 5 degrees and 30 minutes to the northwest and in the distance of 300 yards are the 5 stones, of which the central one rests on the other 4 and form a quarter of 3 sides. The entrance is on the west side, and all volumes of large size are hidden in the barn, piled one upon the other into barrels, barrels, boxes, and coffins, which occupy almost every room. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds.

In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description.

in 1949, the Belgian engineer who lives in Brazil, Paul Ferdinand Thiry came along became obsessed with story , after much research the subject, allegedly deciphered one of the marking on the map drawing and said that there indicated island was Ilhabela located on the north coast of the State of São Paulo. He reworked maps adding calculation and directions adding up the treasure being on Ilhabela below.

1234567.JPG

After obtaining the support of the Brazilian Navy , Thiry went to Ilhabela and began the field research in the area known as Saco do Sombrio . Between comings and goings, Thiry persevered for thirty years in search of the hiding place of the treasure. Thus the alleged claims of buried treasure reveled in 1880's went from Trindade Island to Ilhabela in 20th century thus transferring the treasure legend from one location to another.

E F Knight did not know the exact details of the alleged treasure so he invented his own. Thus we have treasure from Peru.

Like with many treasure legends too many later people added things as so called "fact" to this taking the entire story out of proportion from the earliest claims to what we have to day accumulating in that silly TV show snake island.

Kanacki

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
As always, glad for your input Kanacki. You help shed some light on matters that are not so well known, or diluted by others. :notworthy:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
THREEAB.png

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It was just a version of an earlier legend getting around with copies of the same map. Here are some of the other islands searched following the same story and a copy of the same map. No, there was no Zulmiro, or Jose Santos or John Smith or Tom Daggett or any one of the names inserted for the person who gave the map when dying. Yes, Oak Island is one, if you need I can post the newspaper articles where this story is given for Oak Island and yes they know about it there: it's a tv show only.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Actually the directions and treasure inventory is quite funny to read. You do realise it's mostly the ones given in a work of fiction called 'Captain Kid's Millions' published in the 1880s and gave this map of Trinity Land (Trinidade Island)?

View attachment 1720261

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Freeman

Your attachments never can out. They might exceed size limit? I get that some times posting pictures. If your please try posting them again I would be interested in seeing them.

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread