Trasure... South Atlantic Island 700 mile East of Brazil "Trindade Island" ?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano

The records of crew members and details of their voyages progressively changed resulting into numerous archive code numbers below.

The Merchant Shipping Act of 1835 required masters of all ships to file Agreements and Crew Lists with the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen. The Government saw the need for registering all seamen who could be called upon to man Naval ships in times of war - the RGSS extracted names of all men from the Crew Lists and entered them into a series of Registers.

These registers are filed at the Public Record Office as follows:

BT120 - Register of Seamen series l, 1835-1836

This is a small series comprising 5 volumes, listing the men alphabetically by surname.

BT112 - Register of Seamen series ll 1835-1844

There are 83 volumes in the series, divided into two parts. Searches must be made in both sections, which can be in two volumes or two sections of the same volume. It should incorporate the names from BT120 but you must not rely on this being so. This register requires great care as the layout of the two sections is not straightforward and it is easy to overlook the
section required.

Both sections are roughly alphabetical, the first indexed by separate alphabetical indexes: BT119 Alphabetical Index to Seamen. This gives the reference number which can be used to trace the correct entry in BT112.

The second section is internally indexed. It is NOT indexed from BT119. This means that both sections must be searched for each seaman. It is important not to rely on the accuracy of the indexes in BT119 nor the internal indexes in the second section. If your seaman's name does not appear in the indexes you must always be prepared to search the actual registers. You may expect to find the seaman's name, number, age, place of birth, and reference to the ship or voyage.

BT114 - Alphabetical Register of Seamen's Tickets 1845-1854

From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.

BT113 - Register of Seamen's Tickets

The key to this numerical register is the Ticket number obtained from the alphabetical register in BT114. There may be a brief biographical details of the seaman and a note of his voyages. It must be remembered that many entries are blank, especially towards the end of the series. The reported voyages are again in a simple code and provide a numerical key to the crew
lists and agreements.

BT116 - Register of Seamen Series lll 1853-1857

The ticketing system was abolished in 1853 and a new series was begun, much easier to search, listing seamen alphabetically with age, existing ticket number, place of birth and voyage details.

The problems with recording seamen throughout the whole period of 1835-1857 were eventually viewed as insurmountable and the whole system was discontinued. From that date up to 1913, the only way of tracing the career of a merchant seamen is by reference to the Agreements and Crew Lists.

So as you can see the only way tracing crew members of this suspect voyage of the "John to Santos" in 1880 with a cargo load of coal is looking through by reference to the Agreements and Crew Lists.

As we already know the only records Kew and national archives have of the john are the following below.

jOHN 68914 Grimsby, 22/1895 Shipping registers, NELA, Shipping register, 1893-1898
Built: 1875, Register closed: 1919 TNA catalogue, BT 110/794/11
[No port shown], Log books, 1904-1916 TNA catalogue, BT 165
Sunderland, 1/1875, Sail, 355 tons Appropriation Books, RSS
Sunderland, Sail, Brigantine MNL, 1880
Sunderland, Sail, Brigantine MNL, 1890
Grimsby, Sail, Brigantine MNL, 1900
Grimsby, Sail, Brigantine MNL, 1910
Grimsby, Sail, Brigantine MNL, 1915 .

No records of any surviving crew agreements or records.

So the only chance to discover if the John acually went to Santos is check if John Pyper was the captain in 1880 and search the records of voyages he made in the following below....

If you get the chance with reporters from New Castle to research a little more is the guildhall library...

Micro reproduction of original manuscripts in the Guildhall Library, London (Mss. 18,567-71). Compiled from the record of Certificates of Competency issued to masters. This was kept by the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen from 1851 in accordance with the Mercantile Marine Act, 1850.

Lists the name of each master or mate; the place and year of birth; the date, number and place of issue of the master's certificate (from 1851); the name and number of each ship; the dates of engagement and discharge as master; the destination of each voyage; casualties; and special awards. Records cover the entire British Empire.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

This bottle was found 5 years ago under a statue of a square that is right in the center of Curitiba, was a 1927 time capsule with a letter written by the sculptor. Here in my city of Curitiba, anything old that was found the population soon began to think it could be the Pirate Zulmiro's treasure.

Since I've been researching this story for over 15 years, people always call me to give interviews about the Pirate, but have no connection to the Pirate's story.

Hello Marco Juliano

Could you be so kind to elaborate more on what was allegedly found in bottle below.

View attachment 1783880

View attachment 1783893

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

Pirate Zulmiro was hiding here in the city of Curitiba with the name of João Francisco Inglez.

It was only for Edward Stammers Young that he confessed his whole story, but rather made him swear he would not tell anything while the pirate was alive.

In the year 1896, when Edward was living in Rio de Janeiro, and he learned all the history of the Russian pirate map delivered to India in 1850, and about all the English expeditions undertaken, he sent a telegram to hear news of the an old Englishman who lived hidden in the woods and told him that the old man had died 6 or 7 years ago. ( 1889 - 1890)

So Edward started sending the letters telling the whole story and signing with a pseudonym: J.F. Bastos

He was murdered a month after the last letter was sent.

With these informations I was able to locate the death record made in the parish of Curitiba, in the year 1889 ( 7 years before )

Edward used the initials of the pirate name Joao Francisco (J.F) to sign his pseudonym in letters sent in 1896.

Joao Francisco Ingles livro igreja(1).jpg

Joao Francisco Ingles livro igreja(2).jpg

250. João Francisco Inglez, 90 years of age.

On the twenty-fourth of August of eighteen eighty-nine, in this parish, João Francisco Inglez, from England, widower of Rita Doe, passed away due to an inflammation, at the age of ninety. He was buried at the public cemetery.

Father Alberto José Gonçalves, Appointed Vicar.

I also started to search all the notary's offices of the time and found with the help of another friend, João Francisco Inglez's certificate of civil obit, and showed that he had 4 children in Curitiba:

Livro Cartório Bacacheri.jpg

On the twenty-fifth day of the month of August of eighteen eighty-nine, in this municipality and district of Paz de Nossa Senhora da Luz de Curitiba, capital city of the Province of Paraná, Benedicto Ferreira dos Santos came to this notary office who, having been present during João Francisco Inglez’s last moments, and being trusted by the undersigned witnesses, declared that yesterday, at eight in the evening, in the Pilarzinho Quarter, the aforementioned João Francisco Inglez, white, at the age of ninety, born in England, and a resident of this district, passed away.

He stated he did not know the names of the deceased’s parents, that the deceased was a widower of Rita Doe, born in this district, that the deceased did not leave a will, and that he was survived by four children, Joaquim, José, Maria, and another daughter whose name the declarant did not know, and that he also did not know their ages, that they were all married, and that the deceased will be buried in this city’s public cemetery. The witnesses Joaquim Carlos de Oliveira and Paulino José Monteiro, the first a cobbler and the latter a military officer, declared that the deceased is indeed João Francisco Inglez, as mentioned in this statement.

For the records, I have written this document, which, after being read and agreed upon, I sign along with Antônio Rodrigues Monteiro, by request from the declarant, as neither he nor the aforementioned witnesses can write. I, Jerônimo Gomes de Medeiros, justice of the Peace, have thus written.

Jerônimo Gomes de Medeiros.

With this discovery of the children, we were able to locate one of the Pirate's children, Joaquim Inglez.

A great grandson sent me this picture of Joaquim, is the closest we have to an image of Pirate Zulmiro:

Joaquim Inglez.JPG

A curious piece of information that the pirate's great-grandson told me was that he told his children that he had accidentally killed another person in England and to escape being hanged he went into hiding in Brazil and here he used another surname and not his real surname. the name of INGLEZ (an adjective of your nationality)

The Pirate told Edward that he accidentally killed another officer in Bermuda and fled to avoid being hanged in court martial.

Even here the stories are similar.

João Francisco Inglez's descendants had never heard of the pirate's story until my discovery was made public.

According to the information in the letters, the Pirate was born in CORK in the year 1798 and was sent to Eton College in the year 1811.

I started searching Eton's archives for someone named John Francis who would be the translation of João Francisco from Cork

I was able to find Francis Hodder's name right at the bottom of the 1811 list, and I also found him in the year 1814.

Francis-Hodder Eton College..jpg

The odd thing is that this book I found him is from the year 1864, because in the previous edition of 1863 there was no information about Francis Hodder, as if before the search to make the revised edition had suppressed the information of Francis Hodder from the archives.

Francis Hodder Eton faltando.jpg

And we also have the Pirate's signature on a book he handed to Edward, with the Pirate's real name and the year 1842 (you had already mentioned this book in our conversations)

In the signature it is possible to identify an uppercase letter F and then the beginning of an uppercase letter H too.

Assinatura 1842.jpg

DXZU0954.jpg

matches the name of Francis Hodder

And Francis had several brothers or cousins (Michael, Peter, Robert, Thomas) who became British Royal Navy Lieutenants, and also an uncle (Edward Hodder) who became a Royal Navy Captain in the same timeframe as Francis.

The story gets more exciting as we progress through the discoveries.

AHOY

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano.

Feliz Ano Novo.

I am impressed some very interesting research. However I cannot comment about the signature either way because my eyes are just not good enough these days to make definite conclusion. I know as well as yourself that others have come up with different conclusions in regards to the name. However your conclusions are logical and I cannot come up with any alternatives. Thank you kindly for extra information.

I have been searching for Francis Hodder? I searched the following records at Kew National archives in England.

Royal Navy officers’ service records 1756-1931

These records, from series ADM 196, are the service records of officers who joined the Royal Navy between 1756 and 1931.

They include service records for commissioned officers joining the Navy up to 1917 and warrant officers joining up to 1931.

They also feature the records of Royal Marines officers commissioned between 1793 and 1925.

Commissioned officers included are:

admirals (also known as flag officers)
commodores
captains
commanders
lieutenants
Warrant officers included are:

gunners
boatswains
carpenters
surgeons’ mates
armourers
sailmakers
masters at arms
caulkers
ropemakers and coopers
masters (pre-1808)
surgeons (pre-1843)
pursers (pre-1843)
chaplains (pre-1843)
engineers (pre-1847)

The was 11 Hodder recorded none by the name of Francis. So perhaps Zulmiro was not actually an officer in the Royal Navy? So the document you found as Hodder being an agent must of been in a capacity acting outside of actually being in the Royal navy. Young may of misunderstood Zulmiro claiming he navy officer but in fact an agent?

Regardless facination story you have.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

Feliz Ano Novo!

Thank you for your words my friend.

I also searched all the Navy List from 1822 to 1879 and couldn't locate Francis Hodder.

I located several other members who lived, including in the neighbors of where Francis lived, Ballea Castle, possibly his cousins.

I located a Francis Hodder who worked as a lawyer for the Royal Navy on the 1858 and 1872 Navy List.

But it is not the same Francis Hodder who studied at Eton, in Eton's 1864 book it said that student Francis was long dead.

I also located a Francis Hodder of Ballea Castle who was born in 1790, married in 1810 and died in 1853.

This Francis from Eton College is a ghost, as it seems his records have been deliberately "deleted."

A true mystery.

And there is also this possibility that you said, of Francis not being official in the Royal Navy.

Or it may also have occurred that the Hodder family managed to erase the records of the member who became the black sheep.

Hello Marco Juliano.

Feliz Ano Novo.

I am impressed some very interesting research. However I cannot comment about the signature either way because my eyes are just not good enough these days to make definite conclusion. I know as well as yourself that others have come up with different conclusions in regards to the name. However your conclusions are logical and I cannot come up with any alternatives. Thank you kindly for extra information.

I have been searching for Francis Hodder? I searched the following records at Kew National archives in England.

Royal Navy officers’ service records 1756-1931

These records, from series ADM 196, are the service records of officers who joined the Royal Navy between 1756 and 1931.

They include service records for commissioned officers joining the Navy up to 1917 and warrant officers joining up to 1931.

They also feature the records of Royal Marines officers commissioned between 1793 and 1925.

Commissioned officers included are:

admirals (also known as flag officers)
commodores
captains
commanders
lieutenants
Warrant officers included are:

gunners
boatswains
carpenters
surgeons’ mates
armourers
sailmakers
masters at arms
caulkers
ropemakers and coopers
masters (pre-1808)
surgeons (pre-1843)
pursers (pre-1843)
chaplains (pre-1843)
engineers (pre-1847)

The was 11 Hodder recorded none by the name of Francis. So perhaps Zulmiro was not actually an officer in the Royal Navy? So the document you found as Hodder being an agent must of been in a capacity acting outside of actually being in the Royal navy. Young may of misunderstood Zulmiro claiming he navy officer but in fact an agent?

Regardless facination story you have.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki,

Take a look What Edward Young wrote about:

“Zulmiro told about terrible scenes at sea, battles, approaching ships, imprisoning merchant ships, deaths, shipwrecks, murdering entire crews, a real bloody tragedy scenario in which he, the lonely old man, had participated during his youth.

He told terrible stories in which he was one of the protagonists, and the most feared and brave in the group of people who threw themselves into a life of piracy.
Old Zulmiro got to the core of his narrative and told Edward he had been an officer of the Royal British Navy.

When he was young, he had a bright future ahead, as his ancestors, his family name, his courage and talent, his energy in action, and his privileged education ensured him a prominent position among the ship’s officers.
His family had a tradition of members in the Royal Navy and he was their safest bet to reach a high command post.

One day, because of this proud and feisty temper, he had an argument and fought with another officer. They were on the Bermuda Islands, in the Caribbean Sea, and Zulmiro wounded the officer mortally.

As he knew he would have to face the court-martial, he chose to flee and become a deserter. Old Zulmiro narrated this story with tears in his eyes, and went on with his report.
After this incident, he fled, caught a ride on an American boat and landed at the port of Florida, in the United States.”

“There, with no resources, he had a thoughtless attitude: he boarded a slave ship as a petty officer.

At that time, slave ships and piracy travelled similar paths, as the cruel reality of slave trading transformed those who had participated in such barbaric acts.

After eight months, Zulmiro became the commander of the ship named the “Fling Scud” and, in agreement with eleven other sailors, they started a mutiny, killing the ship’s captain and nine other people who were part of the crew.
After that, he abandoned his given name and adopted the pseudonym of Zulmiro. They put up the black piracy flag and headed to the South American coast, sharing what they pillaged with other pirates and taking shelter on Trinidad Island, on Cardoso Island, and somewhere on the island of Santa Catarina, or somewhere else south of it.”

The Real Treasure Island: The Chronicles of Pirate Zulmiro
Marcos Juliano Ofenbock

Hello Kanacki,

Feliz Ano Novo!

Thank you for your words my friend.

I also searched all the Navy List from 1822 to 1879 and couldn't locate Francis Hodder.

I located several other members who lived, including in the neighbors of where Francis lived, Ballea Castle, possibly his cousins.

I located a Francis Hodder who worked as a lawyer for the Royal Navy on the 1858 and 1872 Navy List.

But it is not the same Francis Hodder who studied at Eton, in Eton's 1864 book it said that student Francis was long dead.

I also located a Francis Hodder of Ballea Castle who was born in 1790, married in 1810 and died in 1853.

This Francis from Eton College is a ghost, as it seems his records have been deliberately "deleted."

A true mystery.

And there is also this possibility that you said, of Francis not being official in the Royal Navy.

Or it may also have occurred that the Hodder family managed to erase the records of the member who became the black sheep.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marcos Juliano

Here is an 1826 map of Trinidade. By French explorer in "Le Astrolabe" Coquille was renamed Astrolabe in honour of one of the ships of La Pérouse. She sailed from Toulon on 22 April 1826, towards the Pacific Ocean, for a circumnavigation of the world that was destined to last nearly three years. The Voyage under the command of Jules Dumont d'Urville mapped the island.

download (5).png

They also did a very good sketch of the island at the time.

download (10).png

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are too many broken links with this story. For example do we have a date Zulmiro fled Bermuda After his alleged accidental killing of an officer?

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

In Edward Young's letters, he does not speak the exact date.

He said that when Zulmiro was around 30 years old this accident occurred.

it may be between 1826-1828.

There is one thing I believe, Edward knew the whole story in one night 16 years ago, and he could hardly remember it all so clearly.

surely he added some fantasy to the pirate Zulmiro's account.

He may have even distorted something he heard.

It's hard for us to remember a conversation heard 16 years ago, I believe Edward has mixed a lot of the pirate's background.

There are too many broken links with this story. For example do we have a date Zulmiro fled Bermuda After his alleged accidental killing of an officer?

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

Happy 2020

This will be the decade when we will find Pirate Zulmiro's treasure on Trindad Island.

In April I have a big meeting with the Brazilian Navy and I will present the project for a future expedition in the year 2025.

By then I'll get sponsors so we can scan the entire island, the southwest bay next to the sugar Loaf.

And also the inner part of the island in search of the richest deposit. "the Burra".

Everything found will be handled to the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro, small gifts will go to other museums as well.

In my research to write the book "The Real Treasure Island" I managed to collect in the old newspapers the official statements of some Brazilian, English and North American expeditions to the island in search of treasure.

I will post below so you can know.

Statement by the leader of the 2nd English Expedition of 1885, mr. Victor de Hamel:

“I firmly believe the treasure story is absolutely true. I believe it remains on Trinidad Island. I find it impossible that anyone would be able to make such a detailed description of such an island as Trinidad Island if they had never seen the places in person.

“No one could have done it unless they had already been on the island, and no one would visit the island unless they had a very special reason for it.”

Statement by the leader of the 3rd English expedition of 1889, mr. Edwrad Frederick Knight:

“Knowing what I know now, I have little doubt that the Russian pirate’s story is, in its essential aspects, entirely true, and that the Lima city treasures were hidden on Trinidad Island.”

“I cannot tell if they could have been removed from there before 1890, or could not be located because some critical explanation was missing.”

Statement by Jame Harden Hickey, the prince of Trinidad of 1893:

“In the interviews Mr. Harden Hickey gave to the newspapers, he let out the information that his recently created country also housed a hidden pirate treasure, which had been stolen from Lima churches in 1821”.

“He even mentioned the treasure was probably worth approximately fifty million dollars and, because he owned the Principality of Trinidad, the treasure was also his”.

Statement by Edward Stammers Young who met the pirate Zulmiro in the 1896 newspaper:

“There is no doubt in my mind how they were not found for lack of clarification; and the narration of mr. Knight proves this, for, he says, it is impossible to determine where the first curve lay; and without it being possible for me to say when or how, so as not to give everyone my secret: and for those who know in their entirety the writing of Captain Zulmiro, it is mr. Knight who, in his narration without the knowledge, makes sure that as early as 1890 the “burra” had not been raped, showing (unknowingly) that they stepped into the deposit of the 19 volumes, passing over him without ever assuming that under his feet lay so many millions”.

“I want to make public the existence of this treasure, showing where the secret came from, in order to value it, resolved to form a union for the exploitation of it, notwithstanding all the obstacles that will appear; putting myself at the disposal of any person who wishes to associate with me in the projected company. "

Manifesto written by José Martiniano Barbosa and Canon Antonio Marques Henrique in 1910:

“Thus, in view of all that has been stated, there is no doubt that Trinidad Island holds riches that have been left there by pirates, in locations described by the directions written in Curitiba by pirate captain Zulmiro, in 1880, and that we now own. Therefore, we, the undersigned, are currently organizing a new expedition.”
The manifesto was signed and dated July 1st, 1910."

Report from the excavation leader of the 4th Brazilian expedition of 1911, Engineer Robert T. Locke:

“Commissioned by your reverence to accompany the expedition to Trinidad Island, in search of the sites where the treasures hidden by Captain Zulmiro were to be found, it pains me to say that nothing was found, despite having worked so hard and in the presence of constant hazard”.

“When the Ypiranga steamboat arrived on Trinidad Island, on the 3rd day of May, we landed immediately, and, on this day, we were able to put up our tents and start exploring”.

“For the next four days, we explored the island thoroughly, especially the south and east sides, but we were unable to find any of the indications provided in the directions that guided us”.

“As the union representatives had full conviction that we had done all that was possible, and that it would be no use to stay any longer on the island, they decided that we would board the ship again on the eighteenth day, which was noteasily performed”.

“The map’s script we used shows that whoever wrote it was quite familiar with the island, but, because it was a volcanically formed island and subject to continuous landslides, the volcanic nature of the rocks with steep slopes, the island’s current topography is quite different from what it had been ninety years before, and the landmarks used in the direction had either been buried or moved far from their original locations”.

“Considering I have fulfilled my duties, meeting all requirements in this task, I hereby sign this report to your reverence, sincerely”.

“A friend, a servant, and much obliged, Robert T. Locke, Rio de Janeiro, May 12, 1911.”

Statement by Captain George Finlay Simons of the 1926 North American Expedition:

“He saw the giant landslide that had occurred right on top of the Lima Cathedral treasure deposit site. He concluded that only an excavation made with large machines would be able to remove such an amount of earth and debris”.

“In his interviews and lectures, Captain Simmons used to tell all the details about this story, and he stated that, if there had ever been an island to inspire Robert Louis Stevenson to write the book, Treasure Island, Trinidad Island was it”.

We have the treasure map delivered by pirate Zarolho and the script written by pirate Zulmiro.

I believe that with current technology, especially L.I.D.A.R can locate the treasure in both deposits.

This story only has to be known to the general public, so that I can convince the Brazilian authorities to collaborate.

This decade will be a Pirate decade.

Logo Pirata Zulmiro.jpg

AHOY

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano

I do not hold much confidence of E F Knight claims as I suspect he too lied with some things as a means to and end to achieve his goals. That is why some of his fellow expedition members felt they had been used as a means. Why some really left the expedition.The voyage of the Alerte expedition helped launch his career as journalist later becoming a war correspondent. His fellow expedition members actually paid for the adventure and If there was some thing in his claims being a barrister lawyer he would of kept documerntation of expedition. in fact he kept very little.

As for Lima church treasure that was popular at the time he would of never got investors just for some ordinary treasure. I have been privileged 22 years ago to have seen the church inventories year by year from 1820 to 1830 and journals of sea captains that visited 1824 stating business of church was as usual in Lima describing the wealth in the catholic churches. Most treasures was shipped out in 1821 by British officer on royal navy ships for 10% - 40%. In fact the admiralty had reprimand officers from doing that because it was interfering with naval responsibilities. after 1825 virtually no treasure being sent back to Spain at all.

If the claims are true with Edward Stammers Young meeting of the pirate Zulmiro below there is no mention of Lima treasure only treasure from several years of piracy which could be plausible in intercepting ships in the south Atlantic. Mainly vessel from India china and perhaps of vessel from Peru. However by the time frame these piracy was happening the days of great treasure ships was long gone.

As you can see in his alleged statement below.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

While I concede there is a possibility of Englishman becoming a pirate and possible involved in slaving and piracy. I do see two story version desperate to use each others as proof in which in reality they contradict each other.

I am my associates have spent years researching treasure stories and it can be an unforgiving maze to understand them. when dealing with so fragmentary information we are all at risk of unintentionally constructing a story.

While for me and many others its pleasure researching such stories we have to be mindful not to become too narrow focused in such stories. I have some documents of Brazilian piracy events and indeed the south Atlantic was still a dangerous place for piracy right up to the late 1840. And definitely there are places in Brazil connected to slavery and piracy from that time frame.

A big question that intrigues me why did E F Knight sail from the Parana River to Trindade in his voyage of the Falcon?

Here is his map below.

ef knights cruise of the falcon 1883 1884.JPG

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano I really wish you the best of luck with getting the Brazilian navy involved. 2025 is good time frame but you really need to look deeper into the British archives.In 2020 either visit London and visit Kew and Greenwich. to get them interested you really need to get more information. Perhaps Sunderland or New castle might have some records hidden some where.

Here is more on Victor de Hamel:

lancel victor de hamal.jpg

lancel victor de hamal headstone.jpg

Lancel Victor De Hamel probate.jpg

Anyway best of luck with your research and may the treasure hunting gods shine on you.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

I would also have many doubts if only the E.F.Knight expedition existed.

But since there have been previous expeditions such as the 2nd led by Victor de Hamel, which appeared in several English newspapers from 1885, I strongly believe in the truth of the whole story.

E.F.Knght, did not invent, he just went after a story that already existed.

I see that these are two stories that complement each other in a big way, and with the appearance of a map in 1940, which was delivered by the British Admiralty to the Brazilian Navy, and the map shows the confirmation of all the history that happened before.

We have a script written by a pirate who was hiding in southern Brazil, and this script exists (you posted one of his copies made of it) and I was able to locate the pirate to the point where Brazilian authorities recognize the pirate Zulmiro's story.

Of course I respect the contrary opinions, but in my opinion this is the most incredible story and also with distinct events that interconnect, events that happened in two different countries, England and Brazil and both connected.

About the Pirate Zulmiro script, see that he mentions the deposit on the southwest bay beach (the Russian pirate deposit that delivered the map, the Zarolho) and see in the script that he says:

The other deposit, despite being larger, is not as valuable, consisting of works of art in gold and silver, as well as sixty-three solid 6x2x4 ”silver bars, all of which where the spoils of many years of piracy.

Its artistic value is immeasurable, and its intrinsic value is approximately three million pounds.

Gold artwork, artistic value is immeasurable?

I clearly see that they are works of art from the Church of Lima, and in the same place pointed by the Russian pirate.

The clues complement each other again in the reports of the two pirates.

About the E. F. Knight Parade on Trinidad Island on the 1881 Falcon Yacht Expedition, see what he says about how he got to Trinidad from the Rio de la Plata in Uruguay:

In 1880, he had taken a large voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to the South American rivers on a small yawl named “Falcon”. On his trip back, on his way from Montevideo, Uruguay, to Bahia, Brazil, the small yawl was caught by a gust of southern wind that made him veer away from the original route for approximately one thousand kilometers.

They sailed turbulent waters, in stormy weather, and under constant rain.

In search of more favorable winds that could set them back on the initial course, they sailed east and, coincidently, the route took them to Trinidad Island, which is located approximately twelve hundred kilometers off the Brazilian coast.

Thanks to the description of the island in the South Atlantic Ocean directory, the Englishman was curious enough to land on the island for an exploratory visit.

He anchored his yawl on December 8, 1881, on the island's surroundings.

Hello Marco Juliano

I do not hold much confidence of E F Knight claims as I suspect he too lied with some things as a means to and end to achieve his goals. That is why some of his fellow expedition members felt they had been used as a means. Why some really left the expedition.The voyage of the Alerte expedition helped launch his career as journalist later becoming a war correspondent. His fellow expedition members actually paid for the adventure and If there was some thing in his claims being a barrister lawyer he would of kept documerntation of expedition. in fact he kept very little.

As for Lima church treasure that was popular at the time he would of never got investors just for some ordinary treasure. I have been privileged 22 years ago to have seen the church inventories year by year from 1820 to 1830 and journals of sea captains that visited 1824 stating business of church was as usual in Lima describing the wealth in the catholic churches. Most treasures was shipped out in 1821 by British officer on royal navy ships for 10% - 40%. In fact the admiralty had reprimand officers from doing that because it was interfering with naval responsibilities. after 1825 virtually no treasure being sent back to Spain at all.

If the claims are true with Edward Stammers Young meeting of the pirate Zulmiro below there is no mention of Lima treasure only treasure from several years of piracy which could be plausible in intercepting ships in the south Atlantic. Mainly vessel from India china and perhaps of vessel from Peru. However by the time frame these piracy was happening the days of great treasure ships was long gone.

As you can see in his alleged statement below.

View attachment 1785497

View attachment 1785498

While I concede there is a possibility of Englishman becoming a pirate and possible involved in slaving and piracy. I do see two story version desperate to use each others as proof in which in reality they contradict each other.

I am my associates have spent years researching treasure stories and it can be an unforgiving maze to understand them. when dealing with so fragmentary information we are all at risk of unintentionally constructing a story.

While for me and many others its pleasure researching such stories we have to be mindful not to become too narrow focused in such stories. I have some documents of Brazilian piracy events and indeed the south Atlantic was still a dangerous place for piracy right up to the late 1840. And definitely there are places in Brazil connected to slavery and piracy from that time frame.

A big question that intrigues me why did E F Knight sail from the Parana River to Trindade in his voyage of the Falcon?

Here is his map below.

View attachment 1785506

Kanacki

Last edited:

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

I greatly appreciate the words my friend.

Thanks also for this friendship and all the new information that came out of our conversation.

I will definitely do as you suggested when we will release the book in England and with the help of reporters scour the English archives, especially in Newcastle and Suderland.

I believe a lot of information will still be discovered.

Best Regards

Hello Marco Juliano I really wish you the best of luck with getting the Brazilian navy involved. 2025 is good time frame but you really need to look deeper into the British archives.In 2020 either visit London and visit Kew and Greenwich. to get them interested you really need to get more information. Perhaps Sunderland or New castle might have some records hidden some where.

Here is more on Victor de Hamel:

View attachment 1785522

View attachment 1785524

View attachment 1785525

Anyway best of luck with your research and may the treasure hunting gods shine on you.

Kanacki

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found Pirate Zulmiro registre on the curitiba Cemitery.

After 15 years of research, i've found Pirate Zulmiro in Curitiba, his death register on the city cemitery. He was hidding here using the name ( Joao Francisco Inglez) i just found him, because the letters i've found in the newspapper "Jornal do Brasil " from 1896, That was wrote by the Englishman who became friend of the Pirate Zulmiro.

Pirate Zulmiro died at age 90 in august, 24, 1889.

He was born in Cork in the year 1798, and based on the information of the letters, i've found Him At Eton College, in the year 1811, his true name was Francis Hodder.

Check my new book " The Real Treasure Island, the chronicles of Pirate Zulmiro " there is a website - www.therealtreasureisland.com

QUOTE=KANACKI;6208936]Hello Freeman

The problem I have with is no real Provence with the map. I am not trusting of claims the map was found in 1852 and allegedly found in India. We trawled through records in India and London shipping records of crew lists. Death records plus newspaper obituaries. And records going back to between 1848 and 1852's where is was compulsory to record deaths of crew members. Nothing..... So the map may not be as old as many claimed. The map versions as far as I am aware appeared in the Brazilian papers in the late 1940's

The alleged original document written by the alleged pirate "Zulmiro" giving the details of the treasure and location below.

The treasure is hidden in an island called Trindade 647 miles off the coast of Brazil, in two distinct places: in the former there is gold in powder, in bars, in coins of several countries, as well as precious stones of great value. The value of this deposit can be estimated at 5 million pounds. The other deposit, although larger, is not so valuable and consists of artistic works in gold and silver, as well as 63 bars of massive silver, with dimensions of 6x2x4 inches, the result of many years of piracy. The richest deposit is near the waterfall. On the left side of this, 3 feet from the large stone, the second stone is at an angle of 32 to the southwest, there is a closed cavity, but it can be easily opened, in which are 19 volumes of great value and different sizes.

Another deposit is in the south bay, on the eastern end of the island to the north side of the sugar loaf, under the central stone of the five existing there. The waterfall is situated on the south side of the island, about 2.5 from the West end within walking distance of the beach. It is easy to find because it is below a depression in the mountain range that forms the bottom of the landscape, facing the best place to merge on the south side, despite being exposed to all the winds that blow from there. In the bay of the extreme south, a schooner finds an anchorage, even near the beach, at any time, with little work and some skill, to run aground its boats. There is a canal near the sugar loaf, which is distinguished from a rocky culmination that passes between this and 2 islands of stones on the side of the sugar loaf. There are 5 large stones marking the treasure that are above the entrance of the cave, which is 5 degrees and 30 minutes northwest of the sugar loaf. When sighting the island of the South a depression in the mountain chain easily attracts the attention and, in the mouth of the stream, a boat can be safely run aground.

The 19 volumes consist of: 11 barrels filled with coins, 2 large open boxes containing 81 small gold bars, 1 watch case full of jewels, 12 sealed leaden bags containing precious stones, 1 tea box full of disassembled jewelry and 2 boxes of leaves full of gold dust. As for the other deposit the hiding place is situated inside the grotto, and consists of 3 large rooms cut in the hard ground and crossing the grotto; to the course of 5 degrees and 30 minutes to the northwest and in the distance of 300 yards are the 5 stones, of which the central one rests on the other 4 and form a quarter of 3 sides. The entrance is on the west side, and all volumes of large size are hidden in the barn, piled one upon the other into barrels, barrels, boxes, and coffins, which occupy almost every room. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds.

In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description.

in 1949, the Belgian engineer who lives in Brazil, Paul Ferdinand Thiry came along became obsessed with story , after much research the subject, allegedly deciphered one of the marking on the map drawing and said that there indicated island was Ilhabela located on the north coast of the State of São Paulo. He reworked maps adding calculation and directions adding up the treasure being on Ilhabela below.

View attachment 1720221

After obtaining the support of the Brazilian Navy , Thiry went to Ilhabela and began the field research in the area known as Saco do Sombrio . Between comings and goings, Thiry persevered for thirty years in search of the hiding place of the treasure. Thus the alleged claims of buried treasure reveled in 1880's went from Trindade Island to Ilhabela in 20th century thus transferring the treasure legend from one location to another.

E F Knight did not know the exact details of the alleged treasure so he invented his own. Thus we have treasure from Peru.

Like with many treasure legends too many later people added things as so called "fact" to this taking the entire story out of proportion from the earliest claims to what we have to day accumulating in that silly TV show snake island.

Kanacki

The description includes a waterfall....but the island is supposed to be waterless!
Wrong island?

Last edited by a moderator:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
O desenho do mapa original e a história do Tesouro da Trindade estão publicados no livro ILHABELA E O TESOURO DA TRINDADE (ILHABELA AND THE TRESURE OF THE TRINDADE)
Hola St Clair,

Pero sí sabes de dónde vino realmente el mapa y la trampa que les jugó a Thiry y Saolheiro la persona que lo dibujó.
both.jpg

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Well, unfortunately what has happened is 'St Clair' posted about his book into the matter of Zulmiro and the Treasure of Trinity.

This led to the above posting asking if he knew the entire thing about the treasure of Ilhabela was based on a mistake thinking a graphic illustration in an english Popular Mechanics magazine was a real 'treasure map' for there (see posting above).

St Clair posted how the research into the story of Zulmiro or Jose Santos was true so it was published in his book.

It was then queried if he knew that the same 'lost treasure' story had been told for other locations also but with a different name inserted each time, Smith, Sclate, Daggett, Gammage, Sinnett etc etc, for the identity of the 'real' pirate who dies each time and leaves the story of the treasure on the island.

And so that the story being given for Zulmiro/Smith for Trinidade Island was actually just a version of pre-existing 'lost treasure' legend that was well known and well in circulation by then.

Unfortunately rather than exploring this rather interesting subject to detail the research so others can learn of this St Clair has left the building.

I guess the lesson is: if you are all following a treasure map left by a dying pirate and write a book about it saying it's true then it might be wise to look around and see who else is saying the same thing.......

tando.png

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St Clair hasn't left, but he can not use TreasureNet to push the sale of his book. If he joins as a Charter Member he could sell it here, but to advertise the book sale on websites he has to be a supporting vendor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread