OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips Hal.

I wanted to use my Drone camera but it's always too windy in the open plains of the desert. I considered using the equipment from the cable access channel but it would probably break in this heat and I would be responsible for it. I suppose I could have a film crew follow me around but even those guys would not be up to the kind of hike this required and you couldn't sit anywhere with out burning your arse.

I once Narrated a show long ago.

Hour long special.

I was on for about twenty minutes of the hour. It was on undocumented unexplained creatures believe it or not!

Bill
Hold the camera horizontally and invest in a move maker grip for your phone. It will make your videos smoooooth.
A micro weight tripod will put you into the pro looking zone. Stability, smoothness.

Cotton ball & tape the mic for wind issues.

You have the voice for narration.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in the first Video I posted on Janus Sun Temples it shows what a Janus headed stone looks like. It's pretty much a stone with a face in two direction's. It can be a small two man stone or larger. I say two man because I couldn't lift it myself but two or three men might.

Okay that makes more sense to me in regard to Janus. Thanks for clarifying that. That part of research is all new to me.
Do you have any examples of what a Janus head looks like?[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that excellent Quote from Theodore he was great man and a true Adventurer!

“It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short time and time again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself a worthy cause; who if he wins knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.”
Theodore Roosevelt

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

The funny thing is I never wrote any of it I winged it the whole way. One just has to train ones self not to say "Ahhhh" between every sentence.
What helps me is the pressure of the heat and the thrill of finding something, anything that has history to it. The long ride up there thinking about the stone maps does help I guess.

And the Legends show.....I think you guys did an excellent job!

And besides, you have Wayne already he's your front man and has all the Narrator skills required!

I guess you could dub my voice on his mouth but I might make him say some things that would get him into trouble. I had to cut quite a bit of my own language from this one if you get my drift.

Bill If there is a second season of the Legend show I'm recommending you as a writer. Your perfect! What more can I say.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really enjoyed the video Bill. The wood does look old enough I think, to be contemporary with old lumber I have seen laying around high and dry on rock around some of the old ranch and cabin sites out there. Quite possible IMO for it to be of 50-60s vintage. So it could have been something erected by Tumlinson during his searches for a trail into the mountains from where he found the stones. Looks like you were up the south end of Black Point and I believe there are what some believe to be old Spanish Petroglyphs up a bit higher as well. Mitchell took the McGee's up to see them as I recall from Bernice McGee's article. No mention of the cross in any literature that I have seen before though, so it's also possible that some other more recent stoner put the cross up there.

If you happen to find any old "mason" jars out there though.....make sure you open them on a windy day.....

Last edited:

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of bad air. Bill how did you know the panties were edible? You didn't did you? ???

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Never smelled those boots.

I assumed they were deadly so I let them lie. Did you notice the rattle snake fangs hanging out?

I always respect the sites I go to if they have something historical. Maybe it was some Nam Vet. Petroglyphs? I never knew. That would be something worth looking at. Old Travis may have stacked some symbols on there in old Free Mason style.

So he was a Free Mason jar?

That was a real stink bomb of a joke. He's an old fart but that's taking things to far.

I'll search more when it cools, or not.

I love the heat!

Remember if you do find a treasure always throw it back for the next guy its the unwritten treasure hunters law.

Really enjoyed the video Bill. The wood does look old enough I think, to be contemporary with old lumber I have seen laying around high and dry on rock around some of the old ranch and cabin sites out there. Quite possible IMO for it to be of 50-60s vintage. So it could have been something erected by Tumlinson during his searches for a trail into the mountains from where he found the stones. Looks like you were up the south end of Black Point and I believe there are what some believe to be old Spanish Petroglyphs up a bit higher as well. Mitchell took the McGee's up to see them as I recall from Bernice McGee's article. No mention of the cross in any literature that I have seen before though, so it's also possible that some other more recent stoner put the cross up there.

If you happen to find any old "mason" jars out there though.....make sure you open them on a windy day.....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember if you do find a treasure always throw it back for the next guy its the unwritten treasure hunters law

###################

Part of it, part of it only. I have done this so that the next person knows that the treasure was actually there and is happy that he found it.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I didn't Bob. It was the ants in the pants that made them sweet. I think it was a balloon on the bush I just said the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it. After seeing what Frank & Ryan found out there the desert is full of women's clothing. But I never see any female treasure hunters out there so I guess their stays are temporary.

I would so much love it if I ran into the Swedish Swim team treasure hunting! As hot as it was they would probably need a good "Hosing Down" from the heat.

I'd be happy to oblige.

Speaking of bad air. Bill how did you know the panties were edible? You didn't did you? ???

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its like fishing. You throw back the garbage with a note saying ah ha you found it second! I was referring to the wilderness. If you discover a treasure in the wilderness like fishing always throw it back. Take pictures of course then go seek legal counsel to confess all your sins.

Remember if you do find a treasure always throw it back for the next guy its the unwritten treasure hunters law

###################

Part of it, part of it only. I have done this so that the next person knows that the treasure was actually there and is happy that he found it.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

A friend of mine, local to the area sent me these pictures. The site you filmed is a memorial grave for remembrance and to house the ashes of the departed. The ashes were in the paint can depicted. Circa 2002-2003.

grave1.jpg grave2.jpg grave3.jpg grave4.jpg grave5.jpg grave6.jpg

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Bill,

A friend of mine, local to the area sent me these pictures. The site you filmed is a memorial grave for remembrance and to house the ashes of the departed. The ashes were in the paint can depicted. Circa 2002-2003.

View attachment 1182349 View attachment 1182350 View attachment 1182351 View attachment 1182352 View attachment 1182353 View attachment 1182354

hi lynda...yes.. my friend took those pics in april of 2003...at that time there was no name or names carved on the cross and the paint can held the ashes of the deceased....if someone carved tumlinson on the cross it was after 2003...its a fairly common practice for mountain men or desert rats to request they are buried close to the place they loved and spent most of their lives...i hope you didn't dump the mans ashes out....messing with graves is bad ju-ju

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No circle of rocks in any of those photos.....or the paint can....so it looks like someone has already been messing with this memorial.
The paint can may have been under the rock pile, where the circle is now. But it seems like a crude way to remember someone....by interring their ashes in an old paint encrusted can.....yuk. The least they could have done, was to use a new can, which you can buy at any paint store for a couple of bucks.

Regards:SH.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find you guys. Looks just like the one I found. LOL

The Paint can was rotted open and held only old paint all the way near the top from what I could see so we have the story of the marker but still no name of who's ashes? Did anyone look on top the cross in 2003? If you don't climb up there you cant see it I was up there pulling it to see if it was in there deep and it was.

Great job guys I'm glad I didn't waste anymore time there I knew it was a joke played by some Stoner! I'll show the uncut Video where I say just that while cussing about it! Someone's messing around up there that's for sure those stones were placed in a circle and the name was written on the top of it! I was planning another trip too. Oh well that's what happens when people think they'll play a joke on other Thunters.

Thanks guys you saved me a lot of heat headaches.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiker,

I guess were floating in the same boat on this one. My circle of stones is no more real then the medicine wheel from the Legends show. To me and others the real excitement is the hunt even if it means getting burned once in a while it's always the Adventure of the hunt nothing like it in my book. My Video had all those aspects in it. The Thrill of the Hunt and the Thrill of discovery which is more valuable than the finds. There is always the aspect of finding something important but this site was just as I called it along with another member. A Viet Nam Vet memorial with a man in a can. I still have a hard time with the why someone would want to have his ashes thrown into a full can of white paint. lol

No circle of rocks in any of those photos.....or the paint can....so it looks like someone has already been messing with this memorial.
The paint can may have been under the rock pile, where the circle is now. But it seems like a crude way to remember someone....by interring their ashes in an old paint encrusted can.....yuk. The least they could have done, was to use a new can, which you can buy at any paint store for a couple of bucks.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiker,

I guess were floating in the same boat on this one. My circle of stones is no more real then the medicine wheel from the Legends show. To me and others the real excitement is the hunt even if it means getting burned once in a while it's always the Adventure of the hunt nothing like it in my book. My Video had all those aspects in it. The Thrill of the Hunt and the Thrill of discovery which is more valuable than the finds. There is always the aspect of finding something important but this site was just as I called it along with another member. A Viet Nam Vet memorial with a man in a can. I still have a hard time with the why someone would want to have his ashes thrown into a full can of white paint. lol

I wouldn't be too disappointed Bill. The photos were taken in 2003....twelve years ago, and even then the paint had almost weathered away.
Like I've said before, there must be something in the water down there in Apache Junction, cause every few weeks we get another new story about this or that.
The ones about magic talking holy purple rocks and naked women flying about with hang-gliders was especially entertaining for instance. H---, Frank even found their landing strip. I also liked the one about the WW2 comic book hero who becomes a cowboy, carves the stone maps, then gets drunk and buries them out there by Black Point. I still think the Tumlinson story is the best one yet, since it's the mother of all of these locally generated folk tales.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the paint can is there in this img lynda posted
far right below the cross, im guessing the person
prob want his/her ashes painted on the cross
had a friend and her ashes, were painted in a
portrait of her done by another friend of hers
for her son, she had pancreatic cancer, ironically
the painting burned in a house fire, when the boy
was 12yr old

paint can
attachment.php

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I wouldn't be too disappointed Bill. The photos were taken in 2003....twelve years ago, and even then the paint had almost weathered away.
Like I've said before, there must be something in the water down there in Apache Junction, cause every few weeks we get another new story about this or that.
The ones about magic talking holy purple rocks and naked women flying about with hang-gliders was especially entertaining for instance. H---, Frank even found their landing strip. I also liked the one about the WW2 comic book hero who becomes a cowboy, carves the stone maps, then gets drunk and buries them out there by Black Point. I still think the Tumlinson story is the best one yet, since it's the mother of all of these locally generated folk tales.

wayne...we are not all nuts in apache junction...most of us drink bottled water...lol...the holy stones and other similar theories came from a stark raving lunatic named Emory Taylor...maybe he drank tap water...lol

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know cause I'm friends with some of those nuts. But I don't even buy my bottled water in AJ.....just to be on the safe side.
But I buy it in Mesa....which could be worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread