jdieter2440

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2020
NW Corner CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 350, and Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who've been hunting for a long time, I'm not new to the craft, for that is what it is, but I have taken a 5 year hiatus. My question to all of you is has anyone wanted to just collect all their treasures they found and put them in one big "treasure chest" of some sort? What have you all done to store your finds over the years? Do you ever sell when you've found an expensive piece of jewelry, or a big chunk of gold? Does it seem ridiculous for me to want to collect it all and not sell it but pass it on to my future kids and grandkids? haha

When I was a little kid, around 9 years old, my mother told me that my grandfather had a secret treasure chest. She said I was old enough now to know of it and to ask grandpa to show it to me. So I asked grandpa about the 'secret treasure chest'. Grandpa got very happy and together we went to the basement where he kept his treasure hidden. From a secret location he removed the old dust-covered crate. It had been several decades since he had opened it. And so together we opened it and he showed me all the silver coins and relics he had accumulated in his youth as an amateur treasure hunter. I was amazed and I told him that I wanted to have a treasure chest too. He said this treasure would be mine one day, but until that day I should accumulate my own treasure. "How?" I asked. And from a high shelf he removed his old Mark-II metal detector, covered in dust and disused since the 1980's. "With this," he said, "and in any other way you can imagine."

In regard to your question, I think it is only natural for you to want to do this for your future children and grandchildren. It is something I want to do as well. There is just something so much more fulfilling to passing on 'the secret treasure' with all the stories it comes with, that regular old money just can't convey.

For now, most of my treasure finds are displayed in over 35 display cases of all sizes, for all friends and family to enjoy. I have however, started a special treasure "box" for my Grandson who just turned 14 months old. It has mostly trinkets like matchbox cars and other toys that I have found while detecting. Just enough to keep a little boy busy when he is of the proper age. (He will get the good stuff later, like my coins, as an adult) !!

I have a treasure chest for all my change everyday and Bill's when I can spare it locked now for years so I dont try to get in it all my clad from detecting go into mason jars many many jars makes you think how many trillions of dollars are in the ground I buy silver and keep it in my safety deposit box for my Kids when they are older

I have a chest full of pennies (mostly ones that can not be spent) - I have a chest full of clad quarters (same thing - unspendable)
I have Ryker boxes here and there with keeper finds - and cases with gold, silver and junk rings
I have this coffee table (this is pic from when i first got it - it is over loaded now)
attachment.php

assorted silver in middle (which is 3 layers deep now - one side has 1600s,1700s,and early 1800s stuff - the other has late 1800s and early 1900s stuff mostly
attachment.php

attachment.php

these are now packed with collectible finds
also have an end table with finds - some CW items - indian artifacts - buffalo and v nickels - and one with colonial coppers and large cents
attachment.php

Those are all great different ideas! thank you!

I won't lie, that's an awesome and amazingly cool story! i would very much like to be in the same position as your grandfather was one day. Not for the money, but to give my kids and grankids the same treasure and adventureitis that metal detecting has given me!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back