Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I ventured North and found a few older items on a couple of eroded out of the way beaches. I found several curved pieces of pottery, some lead balls, nails, two buttons and a piece of molded lead that is the same shape as an old spoon bowl. These were the best of the old finds before heading South and finding 12 pieces of modern gold jewelry on a tourist beach on the way home.
HH Gary

Attachments

• Treasure Coast finds.jpg
    Treasure Coast finds.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 212

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary,

Kind of scary to think they used lead spoons back in the day....mmm good.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,

Kind of scary to think they used lead spoons back in the day....mmm good.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hi Bill
I think it looks like an old spoon bowl was used as a mold or it could just be a coincidence. I have several leather palm guards from the 1600s-1700s found in the fields around rivers in England that are made of lead that was poured into mussel shells used as molds.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some nice pieces there. I like the old musket balls.
ZDD

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice... I see both Colonial and nineteenth century combined... Spoon bowl shaped lead may be just that. Someone used a spoon to melt lead before pouring it into a mold. Lead solidified, spoon discarded and iron eaten away, eventually releasing the remaining lead. I found a few rotted spoon bowls at Ft. Jupiter camps with a layer of lead in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread