Treasure hunters guilty of grave-robbing

jspero

Jul 25, 2006
East Coast USA
This is from today's Washington Times Metro Section:

HAGERSTOWN
Treasure hunters guilty of grave-robbing
Three Hancock men have been ordered to pay the federal government about $6,100 for an illegal treasure hunt that included disturbing a 19th-century grave in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.
Park officials said the men dug 25 to 30 holes in a search for metal and jewelry they thought had been buried with the remains of Mary Ohr in 1875.
Authorities said the raiders didn't find any jewelry during their hunt last April, but they caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to the grave and the grounds of the homestead near Hancock.
The National Park Service said it paid a $1,000 reward for information that led to the arrests of Christopher Pelchat, 24, and Jonathan Carroll, 29.
Jonathan Carroll's father, James Carroll, 53, was convicted of digging in the park, but not in the grave.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The disturbance included two large piles of dirt just outside the fence, as well as 15 smaller holes dug in the surrounding area. National Park Service archeologists were dispatched to the site. They determined that the coffin had been entered and that metal detecting activity may have taken place. The Archeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (16 U.S.C. 470) was enacted to protect archaeological resources on public lands as these resources have become increasingly endangered due to their commercial attractiveness.

Mary Ohr was married to Dr. Charles H. (C.H.) Ohr and was the daughter of Daniel and Ann Blackwell. Dr. and Mrs. Ohr were residents of Hancock before moving to Cumberland in 1847. Dr. Ohr was the mayor of Cumberland from 1859-1866, spent several years as a member of the Maryland state senate and was once the Grand Master of Masons of the Grand Lodge of Maryland.

Attachments

• Mary Ohr.jpg
    Mary Ohr.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 392

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know we are all tired of hearing it but:
if it is a National park,forest,ect.. do not dig or remove anything..
Most of us follow the rules and obey the law,and apparently these guys were just out to make money,but unfortuneately the archies will try and use this as another example of why detecterists should be banned from places.
Hope everyone has a great year detecting and many great finds!!!!! :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little note here. I was told by a Park Service ranger that I could metal detect in the Trinity National Forest. I just could not remove artifacts such as arrowheads. The national recreation areas within the National Forest however, were off limits. There are maps available that show the exact boundaries of the recreation sites within the forest.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
gypsyheart said:
The disturbance included two large piles of dirt just outside the fence, as well as 15 smaller holes dug in the surrounding area. National Park Service archeologists were dispatched to the site. They determined that the coffin had been entered and that metal detecting activity may have taken place. The Archeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (16 U.S.C. 470) was enacted to protect archaeological resources on public lands as these resources have become increasingly endangered due to their commercial attractiveness.

Mary Ohr was married to Dr. Charles H. (C.H.) Ohr and was the daughter of Daniel and Ann Blackwell. Dr. and Mrs. Ohr were residents of Hancock before moving to Cumberland in 1847. Dr. Ohr was the mayor of Cumberland from 1859-1866, spent several years as a member of the Maryland state senate and was once the Grand Master of Masons of the Grand Lodge of Maryland.
I know this is a serious subject, but wow Gypsy I'd sure hate to see what kinda dirt(no pun intended) you could dig up on me!

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
That seems to be the norm during these times, get the money no matter who or what it hurts. More & more all people think about are their selves. Sonny

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
teverly said:
I know we are all tired of hearing it but:
if it is a National park,forest,ect.. do not dig or remove anything..
Most of us follow the rules and obey the law,and apparently these guys were just out to make money,but unfortuneately the archies will try and use this as another example of why detecterists should be banned from places.
Hope everyone has a great year detecting and many great finds!!!!! :)

This is not entirely true. Some area allow prospecting as well as rock collecting. The rule of thumb is to ask the powers that be about the activity you plan on conducting. Hunting is even allowed in the Mojave National Preserve. And lots of National Forest allow prospecting and dredging with permits or actives claims. A metal detector can be considered a tool in gold prospecting. You can't look for coins or relics with it, only locatable minerals like Gold.

The 1876 Miners Act covers Mining Rights and the 1906 Antiquites Act covers the others stuff. I think the lattered has been revised. I just wanted to point that out.

HH

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
SwampHunter said:
Doesn't look like they were treasure hunters, as it looks like they were grave robbers.
Exactly Right Swamphunter, you don't need a metal detector to dig up a grave. When newspapers use the term Treasure Hunter to describe these guys we all get a black eye from the article.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread