Treasure Hunting In Southern Maryland

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think schools,parks,beaches,private property if you ask,your own back yard
I live in the U.P don't know about Maryland
that should get you started
Ooo and welcome good luck

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Have you tried asking in the Maryland forum near the bottom of T-Net? You can try going to the city or county websites to see what bans or restrictions they have. Look under parks dept or recreation. Also, under city or county code. If you don't see anything prohibiting detecting, check the signs at the parks to see if anything there is posted

It is best not to ask desk-bound bureaucrats, as this sometimes causes a law to be made against detecting. Also, they will quote you laws forbidding digging or disturbing the soil that were made long before metal detectors were invented. They generally make an exception for us, as long as there is no real damage. Damage would probably be defined as something bad enough to require repair.

If you feel after your research you still aren't sure, you could call city police if city park or sheriffs office for county-owned parks & ask if you could be fined for detecting. If they say something like maybe if you left a big hole that could injure someone, then if you detect neatly there shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a single park is off limits due to being a historical site, or a special section is off limits. Schools, if public, may be huntable after school hours or weekends, if no signs prohibit it & they don't have a locked gate. Private schools require permission, like any private property, yards, etc.

If anyone with authority asks you to leave, just leave. For ballfields, if they are fenced & have gates & fancy scoreboards & grooming machines for adult pay to play & these are city-owned, I usually just detect in the aisles in between where they line up to get in or to get refreshments. At some parks, detecting might only be allowed on beaches & in water.

Places like nature preserves or wildlife refuges are almost certainly off limits. State-owned parks, check their website. Some have total bans. Nearly all have some restrictions.

Some cities in MD might say no detecting anywhere or specify a minimum distance from a govt bldg. US govt has bldgs in many DC suburbs. Detecting is not allowed in DC. There may be a club or a detector dealer near you that can advise you as to which areas are huntable. Best wishes, George (MN)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any areas open to treasure hunting in southern Maryland?

To answer your question, YES. The only problem is getting by Frankn, who seems to have a lock on that state. I'm sure he'll be chiming in at some point today :tongue3:

Now you can also hunt in NJ with no problem, and that's just a hop, skip, jump away too. Not to worry, my permit rates are the most reasonable around :icon_thumright: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions