What's new

"HOW DO YOU DO IT, OR NOT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

copperpenny

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
771
Reaction score
67
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wesminster,Ca
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question of the century I would guess, being on the West Coast, no real bad weather conditions (a little rain here & their) "HOW DO YOU ALL DO IT OR NOT" go MDing. What is it that keeps you here, waiting for everything to clear? That first day out, when it all clears, I thought this would be an interesting string. Cliff
 
Don't really understand what you are asking. While you are at it, try explaining why anyone would stay in the Soviet Socialist Republic of California. Not being crass, just wondering.
 
Don't really understand what you are asking. While you are at it, try explaining why anyone would stay in the Soviet Socialist Republic of California. Not being crass, just wondering.

Being in a location where the weather stops you from MDing
 
Don't really understand what you are asking. While you are at it, try explaining why anyone would stay in the Soviet Socialist Republic of California. Not being crass, just wondering.

Lived here all my life, I work here same place 27 yrs, almost ready to retire, family is here, sunshine most of the time .....etc
 
You can get skin cancer from toooooo much sun lol
 
The beauty of the changing seasons is beyond compare every thing is constantly chaagiging.

The ice snow and frozen ground heaves and moves the ground putting things within your grasp that there was no hope for last year
The spring thaw floods the creeks and rivers eroding banks and even altering there course revielling things buried for hundreds or thousands of years
So next time your staring at a hole you dug two years ago and everything around you looks the same ask yourself why do I live here
 
skin cancer
tell that to an Indian
do they get skin cancer
there out in the sun all the time
 
Where to Start, Spring a time when everything is new,The smell of mud ,rain,ever thing in bloom. Summer hot and dry, kids and dogs play'n in the water,sit'n in the shade,night fish'n. Fall it's cooler,the leaves in full color,hunting season. Winter the full moon on a freash snow,birds at the feeder, The silence as the world awaits spring...
 
Unless you've in a part of the country that has 4 seasons, ( 5 if you count mud season), it's hard to describe. Winter is the time to research, read write, repair equipment, and do all the things you can't do when the busy work season start. Being a consulting forester, I'm still out in the weather, but not as much. Spring brings maple sugaring time and warmer temps. We fly through the too short summer and into Fall, and that's deer season and waterfowl season, then all of a sudden it's the holidays and we start all over again.

Isn't it easy to see how the seasons change, and keep us from being bored. We all, here in the North Country complain about the weather, But you don't see us moving!
 
..... I thought that a real treasure hunter never let the weather bother him or her..........

See that's apart of this question as well...........I don't have a weather issue here so i wouldn't know if there really is an issue or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read postings all the time about the weather that exist keeping ppl from MDing, am I just reading in between lines that are not there ????? Are there real treasure hunters thick or thin ????? i'm sure most would say they are, and weather doesn't stop most from doing what they love.
 
I really like alot of what has been said, i've always have lived on the West Coast, no seasons here, so I wanted to know what things are really in the way when you can't going out hunting. I was just hoping to hear what most ppl in these areas do. Thanks for the responses posted, maybe I didn't word it the way some took it, but I did get a sense of it not really mattering, ppl are still doing the MDing thing in other ways. Happy Hunting to All ....Cliff
 
See that's apart of this question as well...........I don't have a weather issue here so i wouldn't know if there really is an issue or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read postings all the time about the weather that exist keeping ppl from MDing, am I just reading in between lines that are not there ????? Are there real treasure hunters thick or thin ????? i'm sure most would say they are, and weather doesn't stop most from doing what they love.

I am in S.W. Texas and can get out most days. Fifty is a cool day here and it has not rained it nearly two months. However, in early January we very suddenly got five inches of snow. It was no use going out for two days. Now, with a little rain after the snow, we have wild flowers cropping up to make the view better while detecting! Please, those of you up north, I know how pitiful five inches of snow sounds to you. My only point is that no matter where you live, there are times when you just can't go out.
 
I really like alot of what has been said, i've always have lived on the West Coast, no seasons here, so I wanted to know what things are really in the way when you can't going out hunting. I was just hoping to hear what most ppl in these areas do.

We sit at our computers and study Treasure Net!
 
Unless you've in a part of the country that has 4 seasons, ( 5 if you count mud season), it's hard to describe. Winter is the time to research, read write, repair equipment, and do all the things you can't do when the busy work season start. Being a consulting forester, I'm still out in the weather, but not as much. Spring brings maple sugaring time and warmer temps. We fly through the too short summer and into Fall, and that's deer season and waterfowl season, then all of a sudden it's the holidays and we start all over again.

Isn't it easy to see how the seasons change, and keep us from being bored. We all, here in the North Country complain about the weather, But you don't see us moving!

I couldn't say it any better so I just copied you.
 
Hmmm...Living in a rainforest 120 mi. NE of Seattle, and at the base of the N. Cascade
range of Mtns, we get 4 seasons, and rain like you get sunshine.

It starts raining 4-7 days a week about mid-Oct, and it will stay like that til' about the 4th of
July, with typically a foot of snow (or more) in there somewhere between Thanksgiving and
the end of March. That said, if you plan to anything outside as recreation, then ya best be planning on
doing it in the rain, cause it's gonna rain whether ya like it or not.
rain2.gif


Up here where I live you rarely see an umbrella, and you dress for the weather. No mukluks
or parka's needed, really, just a good hat that keeps the rain off, some kind of water repellant
jacket and decent hiking boots. The only hunting I've ever done in the rain was water hunting,
but there were many days it was just a bit drizzly (typical for here) and all I did was put a plastic
cover over the control housing. I used a Fisher CZ6a, which was a water resistant machine
(but not waterproof), so it could get damp without any issue (but I still covered it..just to be
sure it was safe). The CZ used only audible signals, and no meter was needed, so once I ground
balanced the machine and set the discrimination, etc. there was no need to really look at it.

I used to have a couple of drift boats, and being a rabid steelheader at the time there were
many days I was out there on the river fishing and the temps's were right at 30, so it
alternated between rain, snow and sleet the whole day. So? You can only get so wet, and
you know there's a place to warm up at when you quit for the day. Don't get soaked though,
and if you're a hike away from your car that will keep you warmer on the way back to it, but
don't stop along the way and let hypothermia set in!

There's good and bad in every part of the country, but having lived a good part of my life
in So. Cal. I'll take a pass on living there now. I can handle rain, but no way could I tolerate
the 6 million people down there after 20+ years of living in a town of 800, and the closest
stoplight to here is 25 miles away!
 
Hmmm...Living in a rainforest 120 mi. NE of Seattle, and at the base of the N. Cascade
range of Mtns, we get 4 seasons, and rain like you get sunshine.

It starts raining 4-7 days a week about mid-Oct, and it will stay like that til' about the 4th of
July, with typically a foot of snow (or more) in there somewhere between Thanksgiving and
the end of March. That said, if you plan to anything outside as recreation, then ya best be planning on
doing it in the rain, cause it's gonna rain whether ya like it or not.
rain2.gif


Up here where I live you rarely see an umbrella, and you dress for the weather. No mukluks
or parka's needed, really, just a good hat that keeps the rain off, some kind of water repellant
jacket and decent hiking boots. The only hunting I've ever done in the rain was water hunting,
but there were many days it was just a bit drizzly (typical for here) and all I did was put a plastic
cover over the control housing. I used a Fisher CZ6a, which was a water resistant machine
(but not waterproof), so it could get damp without any issue (but I still covered it..just to be
sure it was safe). The CZ used only audible signals, and no meter was needed, so once I ground
balanced the machine and set the discrimination, etc. there was no need to really look at it.

I used to have a couple of drift boats, and being a rabid steelheader at the time there were
many days I was out there on the river fishing and the temps's were right at 30, so it
alternated between rain, snow and sleet the whole day. So? You can only get so wet, and
you know there's a place to warm up at when you quit for the day. Don't get soaked though,
and if you're a hike away from your car that will keep you warmer on the way back to it, but
don't stop along the way and let hypothermia set in!

There's good and bad in every part of the country, but having lived a good part of my life
in So. Cal. I'll take a pass on living there now. I can handle rain, but no way could I tolerate
the 6 million people down there after 20+ years of living in a town of 800, and the closest
stoplight to here is 25 miles away!

Yea the only thing I really like is the weather, soon to retire (well couple of yrs) I might just have to move all over the place, thx
 
Sure, people can hunt all year long but are they HUNGRY?
A long, cold winter starves a treasure hunter. Springtime comes and they become a ravenous wolf.
They pounce on those sites they thought about hunting all winter.
They also know that fields will be planted and bugs will become fierce, so they gobble up all they can.
Summertime, life's a beach but during the fall, they know the end is drawing near, so they go like mad.
The thought of a long, starved winter makes them hunt even harder.
This is all I've ever known!
Cheers,
Dave.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom