PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Anyone ever hear about this? An old family friend has told me the same story a couple of times.

This is located in Weatherford Texas. There were some old mines there. I believe they were supposed to be silver mines but am unfamiliar with silver being found in that location.

Anyway, back in the 1800's, the mines were still unsealed and kids from town would play in them. The city decided to seal them and used dynamite to close the entrances. Apparently, too much dynamite was used and the explosions caused damage to foundations of nearby houses.

There are supposed to be some old signs carved in trees at the edge of the graveyard just east of the town square (under the bridge.) These signs were supposed to point to the mine locations.

This is the information as best as I can recall.

Does it sound familiar to anyone? Or, can anyone validate any parts of the story?

Thanks,

Patrick

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Supposed to be a lot of history out hat way....wouid love to check some of it out...

Baggins

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I'm up to go anytime. I live out near Denton add been hunting goat mans bridge but looking for some people to hunt with. I'm new to this so it would be nice to go with some other people.

peanutman

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
they band coketab that is too bad he was a great guy. lucky too always finding free things and sharing info to help people grow in the hobby. guess this forum got mad at him for helping people too bad.

Brazos Bull

Feb 27, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Anyone ever hear about this? An old family friend has told me the same story a couple of times.

This is located in Weatherford Texas. There were some old mines there. I believe they were supposed to be silver mines but am unfamiliar with silver being found in that location.

Anyway, back in the 1800's, the mines were still unsealed and kids from town would play in them. The city decided to seal them and used dynamite to close the entrances. Apparently, too much dynamite was used and the explosions caused damage to foundations of nearby houses.

There are supposed to be some old signs carved in trees at the edge of the graveyard just east of the town square (under the bridge.) These signs were supposed to point to the mine locations.

Does it sound familiar to anyone? Or, can anyone validate any parts of the story?

Thanks,

Patrick

staticmap

That would put the mines close to the first Monday trade area

Ll

heysoos

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Patrick

I live in Weatherford, but have not heard of this. I detected under the bridge right in front of First Monday during the construction but did not find anything significant. I suspect the dirt that I detected came from elsewhere. If any of you are in the area feel free to message me if you would like a detecting buddy.

DonnaTexas

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will drive over there and look around and do a little research on this. If this is true then maybe Weatherford will let us go forth with it.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Donna,

From what I understand, if you are standing on the west side of the creek/river and facing town square, it is on the right of the road. There were some signs carved in the trees there but I couldnt tell if they were old boundary markers or something else. I doubt the trees were old enough to have original Spanish signs carved in them.

Patrick

DonnaTexas

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask around and most don't even know about them. The Big tree is gone from the new bridge. I did drive around where I thought the mines could be and found them. There is still some rock houses standing and rock walls. Everything is grown up. You can see where lots like the city put something up to keep people out. Right now would be a good time to search around because of the snakes. Im ready when someone is ready to look around.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would help you but I moved to Colorado and am there now.

Good luck though. I hope you find something valuable.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was stationed at Ft. Sill, the story of a sliver shipment to Ft. Worth, and the ambush/robbery near Weatherford, was a popular one. In 1973, metal detectors were heavy, awkward, metal transistor boxes using C or D batteries. We got over the Red River three or four weekends, but we never found the Spanish silver. Good luck to you! :occasion14:

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donna,

There is another treasure lead in Weatherford. Next to Wanda's restaurant, on the Ft Worth side is a big lot. It was owned for the longest time by a grungy old hermit. He had greasy overalls and was one of the old Weatherford fixtures. He was suspected of burying jars of coins on his property. I forget all the details but he died there and the property has been sold. There is another house build a little back off the road but the original house was halfway closer. The new owners might let you metal detect it for a percentage of any recovery. Plus, lunch at Wanda's isn't bad.

Patrick

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting, not too far from me. Id be interested in checking it out.

Trimaddad

Apr 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all
This post is a little late but I have tons of info about the weather treasure, my kids mother is a Curtis! Meaning the Curtis family! There is a cemetery in Weatherford named Curtis cemetery her grandfather who owned a saloon a long time ago in Weatherford traded the saloon for a map to Santa Anna treasure I actually have the news article that proves that fact if anybody wants to know more please let me know. He is the one who dug the tunnels in Weatherford to find the treasure when he found several gold bullion’s he didn’t find any more then he started taking nickel tours for people in the tunnels

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any follow-up information on either of these two leads? Anyone go detecting or searching? Any finds or discoveries? Perhaps Trimaddad can post the article...would be interested in some local history. Thanks!

Michael Brandes

Apr 3, 2019
Chickasha, OK
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro, Fisher TW-6 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt 2 yards in Mansfield. one house built in 1938 the other in 1909.Never been hunted before. going tomorrow if it does not rain. or Sunday 4-7-2019. Wish me luck. I will post pics if i find anything good. @DonnaTexas you can come if you like.

Last edited:

DonnaTexas

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all
This post is a little late but I have tons of info about the weather treasure, my kids mother is a Curtis! Meaning the Curtis family! There is a cemetery in Weatherford named Curtis cemetery her grandfather who owned a saloon a long time ago in Weatherford traded the saloon for a map to Santa Anna treasure I actually have the news article that proves that fact if anybody wants to know more please let me know. He is the one who dug the tunnels in Weatherford to find the treasure when he found several gold bullion’s he didn’t find any more then he started taking nickel tours for people in the tunnels
I interviewed Fred Curtis if you months ago I need you some new maps where the mineshaft are. I’m in the process of writing a book on the Curtis family sure like to talk to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread