Butterfly

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,773

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I guess if i came across this first thought would be native petroglyphs - butterfly clan. . But looking at it, I might consider the things marked and decide it is not native after all. That carefully pecked diamond especially that is marked in yellow at the battom would lead me to believe this was not Native.

Just speculation. Per usual I'm no expert.

Attachments

• butterfly123.jpg
    butterfly123.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,717

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Clay..

Where the varnish is on the rock I believe makes a difference. In this interesting little vignette I came across on the trail with no end...I consider the varnish to be an eye catcher at the very least. If the varnish location does not seem to make sense..it might be worth further investigation

By the way i am trying to think of a good tag or name for that...semi circle symbol on the background pic. Not sure if it looks like the low level soldier hat you see from time to time,setting atop a conquistador and pointing left or something else. Anyone have a thought on what would you all call that? My photo tagging is getting out of hand.

DM

Attachments

• varnishhalfmoon.jpg
    varnishhalfmoon.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,733

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Weekender I am so glad you mentioned that. I wondered if it could be a map but it did not make sense to me. So said no... Good to know someone else thinks it might be too.

Embossing works great on this..usually it does not help me. I will try it on some other pics from the trail of no end.

Hadji :) lol
Your super hero could also be construed as a turtle laying eggs. The head is in the back - head up..the body the black faced rock.
I did not see that till you outlined it!

The other thing is that rock in the upper right...the way it is carved or placed almost look like a c or v. Or..it could be..the placement of those two rocks that is important.

Actually..looking at it after the thoughts given ..it seems to me that every rock in this picture is full of meaning and placed or carved purposely. I've seen it before, except the black face.

What would you do next? I think...i would head the way the conquistador is pointing. Then again..that could be too obvious a sign meant to mislead.

Thanks guys!
Kim

rrazrr

Mar 4, 2010
Bisbee, AZ
I've seen both the rocks in the last pic here in AZ..I never know anything, but, the rock in forefront is identical to turtle carvings here and I notice the head and tail don't align. If picture is flipped 180, the rock behind is a perfecr rendition of a conquistador's boot. Just an alternative idea.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desertmoons,
I'm looking at that one photo of the turtle with it's head laying on another rock and am wondering if that might be a drill hole in the other rock, at the right edge of the head.
What do ya think?

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
I hope I did this right on the pictures I took of a Lg. Iron rock in the ground with markings? The tree I am going to have to clen scrub trees from around to get a good shot of it so you can see from all angles. From one side it looks like a graft job sorta shaped like a cross, a limb twisted around it aimed the opposite direction. Gonna have to get a bucket out here to lift me up to a hollow spot at the top to drop a magnet into. The metal sticking out of the ground is a 1 in iron pipe. I'm going to check around it. Is this signs?

Attachments

• DSC00220.JPG
    DSC00220.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,577

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
Try again with rest of pics?LOL
The tree I am going to have to clen scrub trees from around to get a good shot of it so you can see from all angles. From one side it looks like a graft job sorta shaped like a cross, a limb twisted around it aimed the opposite direction. Gonna have to get a bucket out here to lift me up to a hollow spot at the top to drop a magnet into. The metal sticking out of the ground is a 1 in iron pipe. I'm going to check around it. Is this signs?

Attachments

• 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,953
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,968
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,969
  • 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,952
  • 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,965
  • 225.jpg
    225.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,943

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Need to rest my eyes now ...
Got something bigger than a postage stamp Swampgal??
No offense, they are just too small. sorry.

If you are having trouble sizing them,
Email them (full size) to me and I will return them sized for posting.

Thom

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Here are your photos in a more "user friendly" size, LOL

Any time you need the help.

Attachments

• DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,393
  • DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00223.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,398
  • DSC00224.JPG
    DSC00224.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,388

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
Thank you so much sir! I was trying to get a good shot of where the cross section looked like it was grafted. And where the other branches look like they was made to grow the way they are. There is a massive hollow section at the top.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The top looks to have been manipulated.
If nothing else clipped off.
The stubb left from the cutoff may have rotted away making way for the center rot.
I have seen this happen before on other trees that were manipulated in this fasion.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew, thanks Old Dog. :thumbsup:

Swampgal,
That rock is interesting and does have some kind of mark on it, but what gets me is that steel pipe. That would amount to something fairly recent such as the last 50-60 years. If that is an oak tree, it could have been "topped out" about 25 years ago when it was, maybe 10 feet tall, and grew to it's present size since then. Topping a tree like that would give a "marker" that could be seen from a little ways off and picked out of the surrounding trees. That pipe could be a backup marker.
This situation I've described is only one possible scenario. If you have a good metal detector, check out the area close in to the tree trunk and the trunk itself if you think the tree is hollow. Also, use the pipe as a base point to range straight out from the tree with the detector. Then check in the opposite direction for a ways out. What you're doing is eliminating some "maybe" places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread