What's new

Tree Rats

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
5,588
Reaction score
6,409
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This just looks painful, almost like he/she's in traction ... but I promise I did not touch this tree rat, although my wife thinks hanging is too good for them.

DSCN1066.webp

I guess this is his/her version of a headstand:

DSCN1067.webp

We're flat overrun with these vermin. While they are cuter than the slick tailed ones, they're just as destructive!

---------

Oh, BTW, I have free possums to give away. Killed 3 big 'uns (tired of digging holes to plant possums, and afraid we might end up with a bumper crop if they all come up next year).

Even with all that, I've got more that need homes

Live trap arrives tomorrow, order yours now!
 
Last edited:
Tastes just like chicken?
 
Really wouldn't care what you do with them, but may I suggest ...

p184k1pivk1pdmmbr1o7m1og4h3ah.webp
 
Tasty fried.
 

Attachments

  • 20171006_183028.webp
    20171006_183028.webp
    729 KB · Views: 116
Make or buy some pepper spray.

Pepper sprays, also sold to repel squirrels and other wild creatures, are effective skunk repellents. Spray them on trees and other areas where you've seen skunks.
 
That is an old wives tale!

We've tried powdered cayenne, crushed cayenne, black pepper, and even chipolte pepper (which seems to be their favorite).

We have MORE squirrels since trying all the above as well as garlic and various citrus liquids.

The chipolte WITH black pepper was a real hit, and pulled them in by the bushel load.

Sadly, it's looking like lead is the only deterrent that has worked.

Two more dead possums last night and at least one more that I didn't see. I think my neighbor is fostering their colony's growth with the trash and large areas that he will not allow his son to mow. one 10' circle and another 20-25' circle that have not been cut since he moved in about 6 years ago.

Oh well, I gotta go plant some possums before I head to work this morning. Gonna be in the upper 80's, and if I wait until after work they're gonna be awful ripe to try to plant.

L8er.
 
Last edited:
Creamed possum sound mighty good right now....I would get a have a heart trap and move them to the next county. Putting out poison can have unexpected consequences. Especially if a neighbor's pet gets it. Nobody needs unnecessary visits from the police.
 
Last edited:
:hello2: How many can I put you down for?
 
Don't you have a furrier (one who buys furs) near by? Their fur should be close to being prime. You ought to get at least five to ten+ dollars each.
 
That is an old wives tale!

We've tried powdered cayenne, crushed cayenne, black pepper, and even chipolte pepper (which seems to be their favorite).

We have MORE squirrels since trying all the above as well as garlic and various citrus liquids.

The chipolte WITH black pepper was a real hit, and pulled them in by the bushel load.

Sadly, it's looking like lead is the only deterrent that has worked.

Two more dead possums last night and at least one more that I didn't see. I think my neighbor is fostering their colony's growth with the trash and large areas that he will not allow his son to mow. one 10' circle and another 20-25' circle that have not been cut since he moved in about 6 years ago.

Oh well, I gotta go plant some possums before I head to work this morning. Gonna be in the upper 80's, and if I wait until after work they're gonna be awful ripe to try to plant.

L8er.

Well that is a bummer. I have skunks to get rid of.
 
Creamed possum sound mighty good right now....I would get a have a heart trap and move them to the next county. Putting out poison can have unexpected consequences. Especially if a neighbor's pet gets it. Nobody needs unnecessary visits from the police.

Good thinking, but I believe in most states relocating possum(s) is not legal.
Best bet would be to check with a local animal rehab center and get their
suggestions. If you have to kill them, the most humane way to dispatch
them (aka: terminate with extreme prejudice) is to use the live trap and
then let them go swimming in a deep hole in the river.

Agreed X1000 on using no poison.....:thumbsup:

Poison is lethal to ALL the animals that are caught up in the
food chain, and a neighbors kitty might snag a mouse that
fed in the poison, and then the kitty dies a miserable, horrible
death. My family lost a cat to rat poison when I was about 16,
and it was horrible seeing how he suffered. Poison is never the
answer.

As for the tree rats, the best solution there is a good scarecrow...

catitude.webp
 
Don't you have a furrier (one who buys furs) near by? Their
fur should be close to being prime. You ought to get at least five to ten+ dollars each.

Unfortunately, prime possum (silver) are selling at less than $1.00...:sadsmiley:
 
Well I guess the fur prices have sure dropped. That's a bummer!
 
They always got my apples in the summer and my bird seed in the winter!
 
Make or buy some pepper spray.

Pepper sprays, also sold to repel squirrels and other wild creatures, are effective skunk repellents. Spray them on trees and other areas where you've seen skunks.

Yup, you gotta remember these are Cajun possum. Hell, they use dried pepper seeds as dental floss.

And the ones in Texas use dried Cajun possums as seasoned toothpicks!! :icon_biggrin:
 
Yup, you gotta remember these are Cajun possum. Hell, they use dried pepper seeds as dental floss.

And the ones in Texas use dried Cajun possums as seasoned toothpicks!! :icon_biggrin:

:sign10:
 
Problem solved ... somewhat. Still gotta dump the carcasses of the possums, but these little buggers really do the job penetrating the skull:

DSCN1274.webp

At less than 10 yards, put it in their ear canal and it's over. No more chasing wounded animal to finish it or trying to find a dead possum before the stench gets to the neighbors' noses.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom