trepospira depressa and something else....

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Found these in an eroding hillside. I've read they are common, but I was excited to find them. there were thousands of them, almost more fossils than rocks in this spot. Made me happy. What is the small brown curled thing? this is the second I've found here in northeast okla. and the bigger piece...is that a piece of nautilus? My friend found a chunk almost just like it

021.JPG

I know this next picture is probably a concretion(?) but on the chance they may be fossils, I'm posting them here. they were sticking up out of shale, or slate in the same eroded area..I think they look pretty cool

022.JPG

thanks for looking
naturegirl

Last edited:
Nice finds! The small thing in the first picture is an internal cast fragment of a gastropod. I have found many of these within Ordovician formations throughout the Mississippi River Valley. The larger piece in the first picture might be a fragment of a scaphitid ammonite. All of the pieces in the second picture are likely siliceous concretions, except for the tiny piece which might be a crinoid columnal.

Thank you so much nuggeteer, I appreciate it. I wondered about an internal cast, that's pretty neat..and I'm familiar with crinoids, 'cause that's the main fossil I find. This has a different look, and I thought it may be the center section of the concretion.Thanks!

Nice finds! The small thing in the first picture is an internal cast fragment of a gastropod. I have found many of these within Ordovician formations throughout the Mississippi River Valley. The larger piece in the first picture might be a fragment of a scaphitid ammonite. All of the pieces in the second picture are likely siliceous concretions, except for the tiny piece which might be a crinoid columnal.

I have not one idea what you said, but I applaud your prodigious vocabulary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back