Treschers Light Box

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
Trescher's Light Box

Does a lightbox make a difference when taking pictures? Absolutely!
Does a lightbox need to be expensive? No way!

I shamelessly did a google search for "lightbox photographs" and found a few winners. Here are the examples that I followed:
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/03/pvc_light_box_light_tent.html
http://mattleclair.org/blog/?p=19
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

I bought some PVC piping and some various connectors from Home Depot. I measured and cut and stuck everything together. I did not glue, but might glue some of the connections before long, though not really necessary. The extra rails along the top allow me to hang the lights.

The fabric is "broadcloth" and is very white. Great for diffusing the light and giving even light everywhere. Some have used bed sheets to save a buck.
I had 2 sheets of left over 1/8" plexiglass (from my arcade machine, a different story) and used them on the top and bottom. The bottom needs something to place your items on, but the top is optional. The top allows me to store stuff on top of the light box.
The broadcloth wraps around the bottom, left, top and right panels with one sheet. It is attached from the outside with duct tape.
The second broadcloth makes the bottom and the back. Notice the ski slope from the back to the front. This is what gives an invisible horizon.
Notice how I added a hood to the front, this is to remove any reflections from the room. Very handy if you are doing silver or gold or anything reflective. Just a sheet attached at the top with a small + cut out and fit over the front of the camera. It works very well for me.

Some tips:
Buy good lightbulbs. Home Depot called them Craft Lights. They are compact fluorescent bulbs that fit in an ordinary socket, run nice and cool and are rated at 5000 Kelvin. I like them because they are bright white and look great. When buying be sure to read the package for the color temperature and get one that is 5000 or greater. 3500 is too yellow for my taste and I end up color correcting too much in Photoshop.
Buy some colored backdrops. I went to Walmart tonight and got 4 sheets and 3 of them were dual color. Silver/Gold, Red/Yellow, Dk Blue/Lt Blue, and Black. Not bad for a few dollars.
When taking pictures, use the highest megapixels. Take many pictures and experiment with macro/non-macro, flash/non-flash, manual settings (F-stop and aperature). Your best picture will always be one of the 10 that you took.
Use a photo editor to crop, adjust brightness and contrast, and then resize before posting. All of my ebay pictures are 800x600 pixels. Adjust the JPG compression level from High to Medium, while saving, if you need the photos to be less than 100k.
Let me add that a tripod is almost essential. Try without one and if you miss your shots, buy one, you won't regret it.
Also get some cans of compressed air. This helps clear the static dust that might be on your objects before the picture.

I hope this helps someone, let me know if you have any questions. I'm always here to help.

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

• lb1.jpg
    lb1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 541
  • be300.jpg
    be300.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 509
  • 049c_3.jpg
    049c_3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 521
  • lb10.jpg
    lb10.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 525
  • lb9.jpg
    lb9.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 532
  • lb8.jpg
    lb8.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 527
  • lb7.jpg
    lb7.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 523
  • lb6.jpg
    lb6.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 535
  • lb5.jpg
    lb5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 540
  • lb4.jpg
    lb4.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 546
  • lb3.jpg
    lb3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 547
  • lb2.jpg
    lb2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 544
T

TreasureTales

Re: Trescher's Light Box

Absolutely great post. Thanks for the concise instructions AND the step-by-step photos. This looks like something I can make. LOL

Thank you, Trescher. You da man!!!

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite

Thanks Trescher,
I read the Strobist link you gave and made a small lightbox out of foamboard. It is going to work out fine I think. I have a Kodak DX 6490.
Was trying hard with no luck to get the flashback out of reflective coins. This solved the problem. Just took these pics. Not a pro yet , but Im making advances
Thanks again
JIM

Attachments

• s.eagle003_edited.jpg
    s.eagle003_edited.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 423
  • s.eagle003.jpg
    s.eagle003.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 420
  • s.eagle002.jpg
    s.eagle002.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 429
  • s.eagle001_edited.jpg
    s.eagle001_edited.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 419
  • s.eagle001.jpg
    s.eagle001.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 435

Relic-Hunter

Mar 10, 2007
North East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign, SD2100, SD2200d, Whites XLT, and others

JimInPhilly said:
Thanks Trescher,
I read the Strobist link you gave and made a small lightbox out of foamboard. It is going to work out fine I think. I have a Kodak DX 6490.
Was trying hard with no luck to get the flashback out of reflective coins. This solved the problem. Just took these pics. Not a pro yet , but Im making advances
Thanks again
JIM

Getting good pictures is tough sometimes. For coins, a common styrafoam cup makes a good light box to reduce reflections. The angle of the side lighting can have a dramatic effect on the captured image. Attached are 3 pictures of a penny. One with direct side lighting and the other two inside of a styrafoam cup. I just changed the angle of the side lighting to make a difference.

But, like all things, sometimes direct lighting is better. The glass stone is a ring dating pre 1779. I wanted to capture some sparkle.

The quartered Spanish 2 Reale was shot with direct side lighting. There wasn't enough shine on it to bother with a light box.

I like the light cube made up that started this thread. Very nice job.

I use commercially made EZ cubes. For some great tips, go to http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

Lighting positions, diffusers, etc. can work wonders for a photo.

Attachments

• Penny_01.jpg
    Penny_01.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Penny_Cup_01.jpg
    Penny_Cup_01.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 375
  • Penny_Cup_Cup_02.jpg
    Penny_Cup_Cup_02.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Ring_01.jpg
    Ring_01.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Coin_01.jpg
    Coin_01.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 388

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i love this post.it answered alot of questions i had about light boxes...thanks for the post.great info :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread