IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are minerals that actually have triangular fracturing, so it is not an unnatural thing. Just one example is flourite. Rock can be naturally shaped in almost any form, and some come in suprising forms, like cubes, hexagons, ocohedrons, ect. Water shapes stone in suprising ways as well. I found a rock with holes in it, that looks just like a "skull" but it is entirely natural. 527511_290579274361109_1243345877_n.jpg Formed from water and erosion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, your right. Thank you.

What about smell? I have these quartz ( I think anyway) and it smells like burning metal when I tempt to make a window on the piece. How can it smell like. Metal?

I guess I need to do lot of reading! Which I have been doing but not nearly s much as I need to. Right now I'm working on learning how to do specific gravity.

I enjoyed your response and am appreciative of your time, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depending on if you're using coolant when cutting the window, the quartz and the heat generated will quickly destroy what ever you are using.
So chances are, without coolant, that you're smelling the cutting instrument.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my caveman like efforts of obtaining a " window" consists of rubbing it on cement floor. Rock on Rock? Horrible I know. So, I get what your saying though, I really never thought of coolant. I probably should do things by the book for a consistent results. Still lingering , R+R-C= hot metal smell? I'm a little slow , thank you for your patience and kindness

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah man, when I get in a major rock pile and start tossing large rocks around, most of them quartz, granite, etc. I smell that. They smack off each other and throw sparks sometimes lol

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well my caveman like efforts of obtaining a " window" consists of rubbing it on cement floor. Rock on Rock? Horrible I know. So, I get what your saying though, I really never thought of coolant. I probably should do things by the book for a consistent results. Still lingering , R+R-C= hot metal smell? I'm a little slow , thank you for your patience and kindness

I see. I was assuming you were using machines. Going caveman on it takes forever. :)
Not sure what gave off the metallic smell. I've noticed it when I break rocks to, but am not bothered enough to look into it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend of mines kiddo , who's 10, tell me something he said he doesn't tell anyone else. He said, that he can smell the rocks. This was in response to me asking him , how he "finds all these unique rocks" he collects. Ever since then I am hooked. I smell every rock. That and hearing about ambergris.lol
Every time I handle a certain "area" which usually has fossils in it, my hands get this smell, that DOES NOT wash off. It has to wear off and it takes a good week to two weeks for that to happen. Although this smell is unlike anything I have ever smelled, it's a great, loud smell. I was looking for a way to make my patchouli last longer!! Crazy I know , everybody already tells me .

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I took geology classes, we had a guy whom's mind was blown by the fact that arsenopyrite smells just like garlic when stuck.
He, literally, sat there sniffing it for about an hour.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread