What's new

"Trick" or treat

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
2,078
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Trick" or treat

I finished a $500 box this afternoon that I bought yesterday. In the last roll was a lighter coin (weight), says 1971 and has a groove along the outside where the ridges should be. Is this a trick coin? Like a string should be wrapped around it to pull it out of a slot machine.

My keepers for the roll:

66x3
67x4
68Dx2
69x1

2002Dx1
2006Dx1 (my newest find)

And the trick(?) coin.
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Trick" or treat

pic?
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

just drop it a couple times on a hard surface and it will pop apart. it is a magician's coin.
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

coolpix9 said:
just drop it a couple times on a hard surface and it will pop apart. it is a magician's coin.

I doubt it. I've found one like the OP is describing. Someone machined about a 1/4" into the coin from the edge a groove that is about half the thickness of the coin.

I assume it was used for some sort of illusion or magic trick, but never found one like it on the internet.
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

I doubt it. I've found one like the OP is describing. Someone machined about a 1/4" into the coin from the edge a groove that is about half the thickness of the coin.

[/quote]

That's what it looks like. There's green patina(?) inside the groove also. I've never seen the green on a regular half dollar. I'll try to get a pic of the edge.
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

Dude, I want to see that, try and have it with you next time we do lunch.
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

left wing said:
Dude, I want to see that, try and have it with you next time we do lunch.

Will do, I couldn't get a good pic of it on edge.
 
Re: "Trick" or treat

I've seen a few of these. The edge looks like its been cut into all around and the caion is pretty chewed up. My guess has been they are ones that got stuck in a machine or someone had fun with it and carved it... just another junk coin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom