Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the yard sales ( of course with metal detector in car INCASE I found a neat spot to hunt) well, I did find one..a super and I mean super old abandoned house...totally overgrown..I got all excited..didnt see any no trespassing signs...went across the street to the occupied house and knocked on the door... I was greeted by some kid with so many piercings that he would most like have my M6 screaming..anyways, I asked hey, do you own that old house across the street? he says, No... I said well do ya know who does own it? he says No.. so I said well, do ya mind if I test out my new detector there... He says, go for it... alot have stopped by and said it gives off bad vibes.. He also says they say its haunted.. I said doesn't bother me... so I parked in the old houses driveway..I was NOT there 10 min. ( but I did go inside on the first floor) what I saw was unreal...all furnished, all broken, every single thing that some family owned all over the place... in every room..didnt go upstairs or in the basement..The whole place was a junk piled haven.. so outside I go hunting... or rather TRYING to...then these jerks across the street... start yelling.. GET OUTTA THAT yard...its haunted.. get off that property... yelling all kinds of crap to me... finally they said, Get out or we are calling the cops... I said ya know ya jerks why dont you make up your mind..whats wrong is your stash hidden over here..and I left...

before i used to detect i found a house like that. abandoned, filled with personal belongings, 1950's rolls royce covered in weeds in back yard. neighbors owned the place and where trying to knock it down. other neighbors were trying to save it as it ws on the national register of historic places. 10,000 sqf oolitic limestone manion. place had 4 kitchens and a fireplace big enough for a 6 foot log. the owners werent very friendly. i had my share of unexplainable experiences at this house. end of story was it mysteriously caught fire (arson?) but owners were forced to rebuild the carcass. place still stands. i hope to one day meet the people that now live there and have a chance to talk to them.

if you really want to hunt that place see if your couny tax collector has a property search function on their webpage. see who owns the place. while your at it, see if same folks own any of the other places in the neighborhood. once you find that info contact the owners. sometimes you can get picking rights to whats inside if you offer to clean the place out for them. in our county you get a couple of free bulky waste pickups a year. you make a big pile out on the curb of everything you dont want and the garbage men haul it off. you'd get premium pickings!

another possibility which i ran into is that the house is now owned by the gov, IRS, tax collector, etc. then it will sit for a while before it gets auctioned off or demolished. a property search will tell you if this is the scenario. i worked an estate a couple of years ago where both husband and wife went nuts and ended up in state hospitals. the state took the house to recover medial expenses and then auctioned it several years later. the entire house was filled with stuff. house, boat in the back, and contents went to the high bidder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back