What's new

✅ SOLVED Remains of revolver

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
I found this in a site where I found some 1850s to 1870s coins in the past. Uploaded pictures to AI and both Bing and Gemini state that this is a "suicide special" a classic spur-trigger revolver that was popular in the 1870's and 1880's. It does seem to fit the bill in terms of cheapness (including no trigger guard) but examples I see of spur triggers don't look like the trigger on this. Any opinions appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • 20260219_170656.webp
    20260219_170656.webp
    994.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20260219_170715.webp
    20260219_170715.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20260219_170733.webp
    20260219_170733.webp
    761.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20260220_102039.webp
    20260220_102039.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20260220_102107.webp
    20260220_102107.webp
    525.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20260220_102117.webp
    20260220_102117.webp
    805.5 KB · Views: 65
I agree with @BAW and it just shows how bad AI is on IDing certain items!!

I use AI all the time just to see what it says and it's at least 70% wrong most of the time IMHO.
 
Upvote 0
That's so cool! I just watched the movie Ready or Not (2019) and one of the guns they use is an antique Allen & Thurber Pepperbox with the same iconic over-top hammer mechanism as your dug example. I vote banner because it's not very common to find something like this and the fact it likely predates the Civil War by a decade or two gives us an interesting window to this world.
20260222_075326.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is the frame and associated parts of a pepperbox pistol, circa 1830 - 1860. Do an image search for “pepperbox” to see what it looked like originally.
Thanks man! I appreciate the expertise.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with @BAW and it just shows how bad AI is on IDing certain items!!

I use AI all the time just to see what it says and it's at least 70% wrong most of the time IMHO.
Thanks! I'm seeing the same thing with uploading pictures to AI. It's got a long way to go before I trust it.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the cool pictures. Quite a thrill finding a gun ... especially an oldie!

That's so cool! I just watched the movie Ready or Not (2019) and one of the guns they use is an antique Allen & Thurber Pepperbox with the same iconic over-top hammer mechanism as your dug example. I vote banner because it's not very common to find something like this and the fact it likely predates the Civil War by a decade or two gives us an interesting window to this world.
View attachment 2245236
 
Upvote 0
Really interesting! Hopefully you can find the barrel next time.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom