What's new

Trip to Mexico nets CW find

moholedigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mexico, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
So last night, I finished scrapbooking with my step-son (4-H project) and came home about 8 p.m. It had just finished raining, AGAIN! I thought, you know I could really use some stress relief.. maybe I ought to hit the MD'er for 30 minutes.. so that's what I did. I grabbed the XLT and headed for a city park... I know.. you thought I was going to Mexico.. welll.. umm.. I already am in Mexico... Missouri that is. Black Gold. Texas T.. Ooops sorry, Jed came banging into my head. Anyway, I climb out of the truck and start booting up as I am walking towards the woods. Next to a trail head is the site (slab o'concrete) of an old (1930's) girl scout cabin.
Having done some research on this land, I also happen to know it was part of a BIG estate back in the 1870's.. although you can't even begin to tell where buildings might have been.
So, I get it set to coins and take about 10 steps when I get a hit.. normally, I could tell you what it was.. but for some reason today I can't. Seems like bottle cap and penny, but I've been finding a LOT of wheats under that signal.. SO I did what every self-respecting MD'er would do. I dug it. Ain't she pretty?

BulletW.webp

From here, I would call that a 2-ringer. According to a guy I work with (who did CW re-enacting for several years) it is a minnie ball from a pistol prob. from 1840-1850. VERY KEWL!

MY FIRST CW ERA FIND, THANK YOU!

I spent another 20 minutes at this site (which I am planning to return to very soon) and found a clad quarter and two memorial cents, as well as two small lead pieces (hmmm.. threw em in my trash thing.. but beginning to think maybe they were spent bullets... HEY it was dark.. in the woods.. after a storm). Gonna have to dig those thingy's back out.
All for now. HH!
 
Upvote 0
very nice Civil War bullet! Can't believe you found it in Mexico though! Man that is awesome! :thumbsup:
 
Nice finds! Post the other lead pieces. I have been up your way once to detect the parks but didnt have much luck. The park I really wanted to hit had a bunch of stuff going on so we were not able to give it a try. Next time I am heading up your way I'll drop you a PM to see if you want to go. Keep up the good work!

Alan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom